Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Team in training
Quote | Reply
Just got a Team In Training mailer. Thinking about doing it. Need some stories and ideas on how it works.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Team in training [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another avenue to consider is www.ironwishes.org . We are getting ready to start our second year of helping triathletes raise money for their local chapter of Make-A-Wish. Don't need to be doing an Ironman race to be part of the Ironwishes Team. Without bashing TNT, which is a great organization, some differences from TNT are that we don't have donation minimums and 100% of money raised goes to Make-A-Wish. Must have capability to sound smart in LBS...

Later
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team in Training is a great program. The quality of the expereince varies with the local chapters, but it is overall an excellent program. I was going to coach our local chapter but couldn't make all the meetings.

One aspect of the program that is attractive to people is the social nature of the training. Some people find this a big benefit. It is also a good program for people to get started in the sport. I know that our local chapter had an excellent swim coach with quite a bit of previous experience.

While TNT has drawn some criticism, overall, they are an excellent organization. If you choose to join, I believe you will have a very, very good experience. Good Luck and Happy New Year!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Team in training [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems like TnT has gotten beaten up on this forum for two main reasons:
  1. There are just so many of them on the course, and
  2. So few of them follow the rules re blocking, etc., so they get in the way and piss us off.

So Tibbs, I'd recommend joining TnT for the social aspect and the hands on coaching/training that you might get there, but learn the rules and how to abide by them from us. You'd be the most well-rounded TnT athlete ever!

(Here's an alternate thought: if we get Tibbs into Tnt, he'd be our man on the inside. We could have him blow it up like he did in Tom D.'s short story in the "Call me Mr. Tibbs" thread... I'm kidding. Really.)

Quote | Reply
Actually, based on my (admittedly limited) experience with TNT athletes, they are substantially better informed and trained than any other group of entry level athletes. One of the advantages of the TNT program is mentoring by experienced athletes within the program. This means that when an entry level athlete who has been through a TNT program enters their first race, they have had structured instruction on transitions, bike handling, bike fit, drafting and anti-drafting, swim safety, etc. In my opinion, TNT turns out the "best" entry level athletes there are. It is (in addition to be a worthy charity) a "finishing school" for entry level athletes.

Remember that not everyone who participates in the TNT program is necessarily indicative of the entire program. Some people commit, never show up for training and then go to the race. If those people are inexperienced, it is not TNT's fault. TNT does a good job of bringing new athletes up to speed. I wish I had a program like that when I started triathlons.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
I'll do it! I'll rob the Quicky-mart. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I'll give this TnT thing a spin. I will go in full Slowtwitch glory and make King Bunnyman proud! I'll even where a Speedo. Even at the meetings.

Quote Reply
Re: I'll do it! I'll rob the Quicky-mart. [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just completed a TNT program in Kentucky in fall 2003 doing the TriAmerica in Orlando. I have little to add to Tom D with respect to the sports side of the program. I would check out the local chapter and the coaches, their training times, how much advice and mentoring they offer related to triathlon. Can you call / email them with questions? How many group events are scheduled? My experience was great - and I got blocked by a non-TNT triathlete on the bike course.

But you also need to be aware what the fundraising commitment REALLY means. If you have previous fundraising experience or loyal friends with lots of disposable income or lots of cash on the side that you can use to meet your fundraising goal at the end - you will be fine. Even the fundraising support we got from TNT was great but you still have to do it and it is time-consuming in addition to training and your day-job and all other commitments you might have. I don't want to discourage anyone - not at all, it is a great program to get into the sport, I believe. Just make sure you know what the fundraising part of it means.
Quote Reply
Re: I'll do it! I'll rob the Quicky-mart. [Christina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point on the fundraising Christina. TNT makes substantial resources available to assist members with their fundraising such as ideas for solicitation of donations, etc. It is worth mentioning that .75 cents of every dollar for TNT goes directly to the charity. Additionally, TNT is the largest endurance sports charity training program in the world. There is some value in that due to their extensive experience.

Additionally, many people acknowledge the opportunity for social interaction within the TNT chapter as being a valuable resource. For many people, this is important and valuable. It is a good way to bring new people into the sport and benefit a worthy charity at the same time.

Happy New Year everyone!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: I'll do it! I'll rob the Quicky-mart. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Keeping 25% isn't that great IMO. If one is doing an IMNA event, I'd say the Janus Charity Challenge is a much better program--more money to charity with the added bonuses of you pick YOUR charity and if you are in the top 10 (or however many), Janus kicks in some extra cash. And, if you use the active.com (there are those guys again), only 6% goes to administrative (not 25% like TNT). And, you don't have to wear that ugly purple shirt.

http://www.januscharitychallenge.com/

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: I'll do it! I'll rob the Quicky-mart. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmm. I guess my only personal criticism of the TNT program, and this is strictly a personal one (i.e., an individual criticism unlikely to be shared by anyone else) was that I got the impression I might be the cruise director on the Love Boat. I wanted to run a triathlon training program, not a social hour or dating service.

I am an introvert and not a people person. I don't play well with others and don't do the "social" thing very well. I don't go to bars and hang out and I don't even drink. So that portion of the program was different than how I personally experience endurance sports. I do endurance sports to get away from interacting with people. That is an individual quark of mine, nothing to do with TNT. So that aspect of the program was not a selling point to me personally, but it is of value to most people and that is good.

Personally, I may have selected a more "marketable" color and design for the uniforms. I thinkt hat would go a long way toward attracting more members. However, Purple is the "color" for the Leukimia and Lymphoma Society, so it is an appropriate color choice.

Overall, TNT takes a lot of criticism. I think most of it is unfair. It is a case of "No good deed goes unpunished". what I learned about TNT during the brief time I worked with our local chapter was overwhelmingly positive. I came away more impressed than ever. I would recommend the program without reservations to anyone interested.

Happy New Year Guys!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just for the record: nobody will make you wear that shirt - last year's tri shirt would have flunked most functionality tests anyway - in my opinion - but it is the most valuable addition to my stack of free shirts - it is at least dry-fit material. But my point is: Don't make that shirt color the "make-or-break" factor.
Quote Reply
Re: I'll do it! I'll rob the Quicky-mart. [Christina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, it is a minor issue.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It is worth mentioning that .75 cents of every dollar for TNT goes directly to the charity."

It's actually closer to .67 cents...if you look at their financial report for 2002, they had $174,286,000 in revenue and spent $116,875,000 on program services. They record the cost of TnT ($27,747,000) as "direct donor benefit cost" rather than a fund raising expense.
Quote Reply
Re: I'll do it! I'll rob the Quicky-mart. [alan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point taken. However, I may respectfully suggest that the most significant fact is they raised well over $100,000,000.00 for a charity important to all of our lives. Without the efforts of TNT, where would that money have gone?

Again, my take on TNT is that it is a positive and worthwhile program.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like any other huge organization TNT has felt a little growing pains, the business side of things has water down the purity of the cause and there are some bad apples. They are an easy target with the purple uniforms and sometimes elite-ist mentality. When I say that, I mean that there is a tendancy to take over races and not really embrace all the folks of triathlon - marathon but rather stick to the TNTer's.

My personal take is that for every 10 people I know who were in the "well I just want to do a triathlon or marathon and they have the best program" boat - I only know one person who is the "my family member died from lymphoma and I'm raising money and doing this event for them" boat. Many many of those in the former group also join b/c it is a place to meet athletic people - so whoever started the triathlete pick up lines thread (which was pretty funny) look at TNT which is predominately females (at least in CA it seems to be.)

Great cause, best intentions but lines do get crossed. The "We Love You Iron Team" in chalk on Nasty Grade at Wildflower makes me want to puke everytime I see it. That's just me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The social aspect is great. So join a Tri Club, should be one in you area.

The rest... I don't know. If you want to give something back, go to a hospital and volunteer, for real. Don't bother your friends and co-workers for money, in the time to are riding your bike. Personally I don't like the fact that some races has been made just for them (TReasure Island) and the fact that is just peole trying to do a tri like something else, next year maybe some piano lessons or crochet, who knows...

Thats' my POV
Quote Reply
Well another reason to hate my job. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looked into the Team in Training and almost everything happens at night. I work nights. Well so goes the war.

Quote Reply
Re: Team in training [snepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>...there is a tendancy to take over races and not really embrace all the folks of triathlon - marathon but rather stick to the TNTer's.

Well said

>The "We Love You Iron Team" in chalk on Nasty Grade at Wildflower makes me want to puke everytime I see it. That's just me.

Even better said
Quote Reply