Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Replacement for TRP Aero TTV brakes
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I own a Giant Trinity Composite 2 (2014) and it comes with TRP TTV brakes. To be quite honest, I absolutely despise these brakes, to the point where I don't even want to ride the bike. Long story short, I'm overhauling the bike and want to replace the brakes. The brakes are direct mount behind the fork and on the chainstays. In full disclosure, I'm sure if you really spent the time to futz with it, it's a fine brake. But the instructions from TRP are awful and there seems to be limited information on how to tune it in. I'm a bit spoiled with standard caliper road brakes that are pretty much idiot proof. Even my LBS could not help me with figuring out how to open the brakes for easy removal of the wheels.

So my question is, has anyone replaced their TTV brakes on a Trinity or know what brakes are available that could replace them? Are they replaceable with any direct mount brakes? Ease of use and adjustment are my top priorities. I'd prefer not to have to drop $300+ on a pair of brakes, but if that is the only option, I'd be open to it.

Appreciate any help. I'm sure to some of you experts this is a dumb question, but I'm pretty useless when it comes to Tri/TT bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement for TRP Aero TTV brakes [xherion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fourier has some replacements brakes for the TTV - which is what the pro Giant teams put on their Propels.
I have no experience with them, just have seen pictures and heard they are an improvement.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement for TRP Aero TTV brakes [xherion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant uses similar brakes for the propel. There have been at least 3 generations. The first was all-carbon arms and was terrible. 2nd gen was all aluminum (was made by TRP - I think) and all had to be warrantied because the aluminum threads stripped out the first time you adjusted the set screws. Gen 3 is current and is TRP. It's got steel inserts for the set screws and linear springs. The pic on the TRP website isn't identical to my current brakes - so maybe they're gen 4.

Anyway, the quality of braking is still average to poor. Adjustment is horrible and modulation is lacking. I love the way the Propel rides but would gladly trade out the front fork for a regular fork with normal calipers. Very few pros are riding Propels now, TCR dominates. Would love to know why.

I don't know if the Fouriers are better - I don't see any extra adjustment features or significant design differences. I've been considering buying them but never wanted to drop the extra cash for brakes that might not be better. You can find them on ebay. There are forged and CNC versions. Forged are half the price of CNC. They're the same weight - have never heard of a performance difference.

Here's a tip. My local Giant dealer has a shelf full of the updated Gen 3 brakes in their storeroom. They received a pair for every Propel that they sold but many owners never came in to update the brakes. Perhaps talk nicely to your local Giant shop and they might offer to give you a pair for the cost of a six-pack. Dunno if they will work better but might be worth a try for comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Replacement for TRP Aero TTV brakes [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EDIT NOW SOLD For sale: New and unused: TRP TTV 90 rear brake (linear spring model)
Pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/xWmuMWVf4t4WPtf27

Bought this as part of a pair from Planet X. I didn’t realise it was a pair of rear brakes they were selling. I only need one rear brake so here is a chance for someone else to upgrade a rear brake to the linear spring model cheap.

£32 on Pay pal, will cover the Pay Pal fees and I will cover the P&P to UK

Here is the planet X link: https://www.planetx.co.uk/...TV09/trp-ttv09-brake
note that the brake they are selling on it’s own is a ‘21mm front’ version.

If I don’t sell one by the 7th April 2020 I’ll be sending both back for a refund.
Last edited by: chrisone: Mar 14, 20 15:23
Quote Reply