Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe; Ego sole turns the road into the plushness of a Woodway belt [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
svennn wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
The first time I ran in Altras it was a "finally" moment for me. I really wish they made reasonably attractive dress shoes. I have to imagine that a creative designer could minimize the unusual appearance of the toe box. I'd certainly pay up for them.

Lems has a reasonably good looking dress shoe.

I was actually looking at the Lems running shoe and looks like an excellent shoe for the treadmill or doing intervals at the soccer/football field on grass

Once I got used to the feel of the Altra toe box it's been hard to wear a standard shoe. That's why I bought the Lems work shoes. I'll get a pair of the boat shoes for sailing this summer.

I tried the Escalante the other day and was impressed. I'm trying to decide between them and the Paradigm. The real compelling feature on the Escalante is the knit upper.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe; Ego sole turns the road into the plushness of a Woodway belt [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, ran in both my NB 1080 and the Altra Escalante's today on the treadmill. I do like the fit of the NB and I personally prefer it's drop. I like the wider Altra toe box, but if the NB were just a tad wider at the metatarsal area, I'd probably prefer that shoe to the Altra - the new Nike looks like it might fit that description.

The Altra's do put more strain on my achilles. But, the Ego foam sole of the Altra's is the clear winner. Better than the Paradigm and the Hoka's I've tried. I definitely had more spring in my step with the Altra's and my tendons, ligaments and muscles were better off in the Altra's and I can adjust my landing a tad to prevent achilles strain. But, ideally, I'd like the Ego foam with a tad bit of drop. I'll be interested to try that new Nike (can't believe I'm writing that!).

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe; Ego sole turns the road into the plushness of a Woodway belt [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
So, ran in both my NB 1080 and the Altra Escalante's today on the treadmill. I do like the fit of the NB and I personally prefer it's drop. I like the wider Altra toe box, but if the NB were just a tad wider at the metatarsal area, I'd probably prefer that shoe to the Altra - the new Nike looks like it might fit that description.

The Altra's do put more strain on my achilles. But, the Ego foam sole of the Altra's is the clear winner. Better than the Paradigm and the Hoka's I've tried. I definitely had more spring in my step with the Altra's and my tendons, ligaments and muscles were better off in the Altra's and I can adjust my landing a tad to prevent achilles strain. But, ideally, I'd like the Ego foam with a tad bit of drop. I'll be interested to try that new Nike (can't believe I'm writing that!).

I'm going to have to wait to get to the US to order the Escalante's....with tax, shipping and duty, that's going to run me CAD $250!!!! How wide do you think the new Nike sub 2 hour shoe is? The spring plate sounds intriguing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will say that I had some hip impingement issues last month. It went away when I switched to the Altra's. After today's run in the NB's fresh foam 1080's, I felt it a tad today...

No clue on the Nike width, here are some images that have me intrigued

Last edited by: milesthedog: Mar 8, 17 17:09
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe; Ego sole turns the road into the plushness of a Woodway belt [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
I will say that I had some hip impingement issues last month. It went away when I switched to the Altra's. After today's run in the NB's fresh foam 1080's, I felt it a tad today...

Me too, but maybe not for the same reason. My feet don't look like that...at all. Nor do the feet of any human being that I am aware of (they remind me of Tinkerbell shoes). The diamond point on the heel piece serves no purpose that I can fathom. At my age, I already trip a little at the toe, adding extra to the heel could be a recipe for disaster

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe; Ego sole turns the road into the plushness of a Woodway belt [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
milesthedog wrote:

Me too, but maybe not for the same reason. My feet don't look like that...at all. Nor do the feet of any human being that I am aware of (they remind me of Tinkerbell shoes). The diamond point on the heel piece serves no purpose that I can fathom. At my age, I already trip a little at the toe, adding extra to the heel could be a recipe for disaster

My understanding is the pointy piece at the end is an "aero tail". When a runner is moving at 20 kph and the recovery leg is moving at around 40 kph swinging from the back to the front, there is a noticeable amount of wind resistance that the leg is working against, and I believe this is Nike's cut at reducing the aero drag from the airflow around the leg. For most of us, it probably does not matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also, that point on the heel is drastically rounded upward, so it's not going to be causing anyone to trip.

The midfoot forward, though, looks pretty spot on to being a possibly great fit.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Update on Escalante:

With a few more miles on these shoes, the only thing I've come to dislike is when turning semi-sharply or stepping on the side of a curb, the knit upper stretches such that my foot moves off the base of the shoe. However, I do have a narrow foot and I like my shoes loose, so this could be a contributor and might exacerbate the problem. So, while I still like these shoes for comfort and springiness, I won't be wearing these on the trail or the track.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe; Ego sole turns the road into the plushness of a Woodway belt [ChrisKnighton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I noticed that on Monday. I was doing some easy paced hill repeats and each u-turn at would slide a little on the inside foot. I've never had that issue with Torins or The One 2.5. Otherwise, they feel comfortable, and I like the mesh upper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:

No comments on these things? These look like if Salvador Dali designed a shoe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some updated thoughts:

After some longer runs, I've lost my middle toenails. This has always happened in Altra's for me, but it did not happen in my rent NB.

I love the spring to the sole, but I like the added cushion height and the ride of the sole of the Altra Paradigm that comes from the shape of that sole.

With the stretchy fabric, I can really tighten the forefoot of the shoe preventing lateral movement common to Altra's, but the outside of my of my pinky metatarsal really sticks out on the side, while there is extra room to the side of my big toe metatarsal.

So room for improvement, but as of now I'll be training and racing in these. While I like the One flats and their weight, my legs and feet will thank me post race for wearing the Escalante's.

What I want? The One upper with a bit of stretch, Ego sole with the shape of the Paradigm just a tad lower but higher than the Escalante, 3mm drop for pinch of Achilles relief, more room for a Morten toe, 3mm more room on the pinky side metatarsal and 2mm less on the big toe side metatarsal, and a sub 7oz weight...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still liking these shoes.

Some comments:

- The sole doesn't seem to be breaking down, which is impressive.
- They are not good on trails or over gravel - roots and large rocks can be felt kind of easily through the sole
- I've raced in them several times and they felt good.
- I learned that for no-socks running/racing, I need to coat the inside seams with anti friction lube to prevent my feet from being rubbed raw.
- The zero drop feels extra pronounced in these for some reason; maybe something to do with the sole having no shape to it at all. They're a bit harder on my achilles than the Altra Paradigms.

I'll continue to run in these, but I won't be surprised if Altra does a major overhaul of this shoe next year. I have a pair of Nike Zoom Fly shoes on the way and will be curious how they compare. I do need the width of the Altra's, but aside from the Paradigms, I've always been wanting a bit more from Altra, especially with regard to more room for morten toes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've run in Altra since their first shoe (Instinct 1.0). I'm pretty sure I own or have owned every model of their shoe (except the Torin and the IQ stuff).

In my opinion, the Escalante is the best all around road shoe they've ever made. I love the tongue redesign, the stretchy knit top and laces mean I don't need speed laces anymore. The EGO bottom is just right (For me) just enough bounce, not spongy, firm enough that it feels fast and super light.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe; Ego sole turns the road into the plushness of a Woodway belt [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep, I've owned every shoe since I brought in and sold their first shoes at a store I was at. I just feel my metatarsals push down into the slab of rubber the Escalante's use as a sole and very easily hit cracks in the road, stones, roots, etc. maybe they need.... a carbon fiber spring, I mean rock-guard plate...

I'll continue to run in these shoes, but I see them being improved in years to come.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
yep, I've owned every shoe since I brought in and sold their first shoes at a store I was at. I just feel my metatarsals push down into the slab of rubber the Escalante's use as a sole and very easily hit cracks in the road, stones, roots, etc. maybe they need.... a carbon fiber spring, I mean rock-guard plate...

I'll continue to run in these shoes, but I see them being improved in years to come.

They improve each shoe every year. Look what the original The One has become.... FYI you can also buy a rock plate from them for like 10 bucks if you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe; Ego sole turns the road into the plushness of a Woodway belt [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the new One isn't getting the best reviews. They went narrower. I wish they'd make a tri specific shoe, again

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
the new One isn't getting the best reviews. They went narrower. I wish they'd make a tri specific shoe, again

The one was my favorite shoe up until the Escalante. Biggest gripe is it just simply didn't last. 150 miles and they were trashed.
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe [Chris K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run in both the One V3 and Escalante. Thinking about grabbing a pair of the Torin for my long runs, as I up them beyond 15 Miles.

What is your view on the Escalante vs Torin for higher mileage?
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I run in both the One V3 and Escalante. Thinking about grabbing a pair of the Torin for my long runs, as I up them beyond 15 Miles.

I'll note that my Escalante's are still going strong. I don't think that sole is ever going to die. The uppers are still lasting well, though the material in the heel is 'clumping' some, though I don't notice it. I do feel rocks through the sole of the Escalante's, so they're pretty limited to road running. I've been alternating between these and a pair of Zoomflies. I find I can focus on my form a tad better in the Escalante's.

Last edited by: milesthedog: Dec 27, 17 15:22
Quote Reply
Re: Altra Escalante - I'm very impressed with this new shoe [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:

I would run long in the Torins. I wouldn’t in the Escalante’s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the Escalante, you will love the Escalante Racer.
Lighter, just a touch firmer, but the upper is WAAAAAAAY better.

“Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use.” Charles Schultz
Quote Reply

Prev Next