Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"They've got to come with data now."

you mean the other tire companies? yes. but i think you, al, and jarno are the people who do that, aren't you? conti does GREAT with its own data, certainly, but wouldn't you agree that prior to black chili the conti tires were aero, but not overwhelmingly great rollers?

now we do have some tires that outroll the 4000S II. but they have their own hurdles. price. distribution. and no aero data that i know of. but jarno has pretty compelling data that makes for a good beginning.

mind, i don't think people ought to abandon conti. i just think that in the 4 years since that tire has come out the gap seems to have closed in performance if not yet in price.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"They've got to come with data now."

you mean the other tire companies? yes. but i think you, al, and jarno are the people who do that, aren't you? conti does GREAT with its own data, certainly, but wouldn't you agree that prior to black chili the conti tires were aero, but not overwhelmingly great rollers?

now we do have some tires that outroll the 4000S II. but they have their own hurdles. price. distribution. and no aero data that i know of. but jarno has pretty compelling data that makes for a good beginning.

mind, i don't think people ought to abandon conti. i just think that in the 4 years since that tire has come out the gap seems to have closed in performance if not yet in price.

I guess I look at myself, Al, and Jarno as more of the verification effort. Over the last few years I've noticed that tire producers wanting make their case will either show comparative Crr data to their previous offerings, or submit their products to services such as Wheel Energy to produce the data up front. This quantification is a big change from the typical past practices of just saying they've "improved" with the new models.

And yes, prior to the Black Chili compound, the Contis were basically "meh" Crr-wise...although I don't think we were quite as aware of how aero any of them were yet. And to be honest, I don't think they were either ;-)

Of course, I also think the more recent info about realistic yaw angle distributions coming from the likes of Mavic, Flo, and others has helped to put the trade offs of aerodynamics vs. Crr into a better perspective. For a while now, the GP4KS2 has been the top dog mainly on the basis of its aero performance (combined with very good Crr). But now that we realize that low Crr can make up for a lot of aero deficiencies, that's opened the door for other tires to make their case...including some of the other Conti offerings.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
off topic, but one thing that really does chap my hide is when i see somebody (like you) who has really meant something BIG to a brand, not sufficiently acknowledged. not saying that hasn't happened with you. just, whether it's you or andy coggan or al or jim martin or ray maker or whomever, it would be nice if there was an obvious acknowledgement of whom it was that put that brand out there.

when i had my own brand, early on, lew kidder published triathlon today! (their exclamation mark) and they championed us. made a big difference to us. ray browning was a big, big star for us on the bike. as was liz downing. i never forgot that and i never let them forget how i felt.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
zedzded wrote:
I've just switched to Gatorskins for my road bike which coincided with a month off cycling and have really struggled. I put it down to lack of cycling fitness, but perhaps the Gatorskins are a significant contributor??

I don't think "perhaps" is the right word ;-)

I've had a year off, and will start back on Gatorskins. I might register the first ever negative watt reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, So just got a set of Grand Prix TT tires installed on my Zipp404 Firecrest wheels. They come in at 23.8mm. My 4000SII are 24.6mm on the same wheels. I thought the TT was suppose to be very wide? It looks to be a god bit narrower than my 4000SII's.

This was measured with calipers, so not a lot of guesswork in the measurement.
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bringing up an old thread instead of starting a new one...

I've followed the discussion with interest as I've recently bought a pair of Flo 90/60 carbon clinchers and am just decided what would be the best tyre combo to fit them with for riding a Cervelo P3C.

I've used Conti GP TT 23mm in the past and plan on sticking with this tyre (with latex tubes of course).
Thinking of going with a 25mm on the rear for better rolling resistance, handling and comfort (the rear tyre is well hidden on the P3C behind the seatstay so aero loss is reduced). Is there any advantage of going with a 25mm on the front or should I stick with a 23mm which would be marginally more aero?
Last edited by: TriathlonVR: May 1, 18 2:29
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [TriathlonVR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the testing the flo guys did the 25mm wins out very slightly when combining aerodynamics and rolling resistance. Personally I run a 23/25 front back combo.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/...t%2B5.29.33%2BPM.png
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [TriathlonVR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriathlonVR wrote:
Bringing up an old thread instead of starting a new one...

I've followed the discussion with interest as I've recently bought a pair of Flo 90/60 carbon clinchers and am just decided what would be the best tyre combo to fit them with for riding a Cervelo P3C.

I've used Conti GP TT 23mm in the past and plan on sticking with this tyre (with latex tubes of course).
Thinking of going with a 25mm on the rear for better rolling resistance, handling and comfort (the rear tyre is well hidden on the P3C behind the seatstay so aero loss is reduced). Is there any advantage of going with a 25mm on the front or should I stick with a 23mm which would be marginally more aero?

When you run "optimum" pressure in the 23 and 25 mm, the crr is essentially the same.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Crr for the Conti GP TT?...and more... [dashelj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much decided to go with the same set up of 23/25. I switched to 25’s on my training wheels and much prefer how they ride
Quote Reply

Prev Next