Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [endurancealex1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Once when I was knocking out 500+/weeks for the first time, and getting a few saddle sores in the process, I asked one of my riding buddies, a pro cyclist, what I should put on my saddle sores.

"Get a tube of Vagisil, and shut the fuck up."

Hope that helps. It did for me.

-bobo

"What's good for me ain't necessarily good for the weak-minded."
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [Super D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Super D wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Lower your saddle by 0.5 - 1cm. I guarantee the sores go away and you probably end up with higher power output too if you have a power meter. Your legs will burn more working at higher power, but you'll actually have less weight on saddle since it is lower and not driving itself up into your crotch. YOUR SEAT IS (Likely) TOO HIGH !!!

Saddle fore-aft and angle tweaking in progress, height already tuned and can't go lower for other fit reasons. Not having hip rocking. But good to be aware of this in case it's a factor.

Why do you think you can't go lower on the saddle. Even if you went 2.5mm lower, that might be enough to remove all saddle sores, without having to touch much else in your fit (theoretically you close your hip angle a touch, but you may not even notice it....but it can take a lot of pressure off your crotch). Look how low the saddle positions of Grand Tour cyclists are versus what your average triathlete rolls with. You can generate a lot of power from a low saddle position.
Quote Reply
Re: How to get rid of hard lump type of saddle sore? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Super D wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Lower your saddle by 0.5 - 1cm. I guarantee the sores go away and you probably end up with higher power output too if you have a power meter. Your legs will burn more working at higher power, but you'll actually have less weight on saddle since it is lower and not driving itself up into your crotch. YOUR SEAT IS (Likely) TOO HIGH !!!

Saddle fore-aft and angle tweaking in progress, height already tuned and can't go lower for other fit reasons. Not having hip rocking. But good to be aware of this in case it's a factor.

Why do you think you can't go lower on the saddle. Even if you went 2.5mm lower, that might be enough to remove all saddle sores, without having to touch much else in your fit (theoretically you close your hip angle a touch, but you may not even notice it....but it can take a lot of pressure off your crotch). Look how low the saddle positions of Grand Tour cyclists are versus what your average triathlete rolls with. You can generate a lot of power from a low saddle position.

Understood on all that. I just have injured knees from ski racing and have the saddle just high enough so that I'm not in terrible pain and can still pedal productively. It's a balance of factors, everyone's a little different in what they're balancing. So looking at fore-aft position and angle, I'm first going to move the saddle back to get the nose further back so my junk is in the wind more. When in the 40K TT I did this past Saturday, I noticed that when all the way out on the nose, I was too compacted in the arms, so I'm guessing I slid back on the saddle a little too much and it caught me wrong. Such a delicate thing getting the interface just right. I could move the extensions out farther, but I don't want to get used to the hands being out even farther than they are, especially right before I switch to 40-degree hi-rise extensions. So whatever I do now is a temporary adjustment. My saddle is all the way forward on the post top, and all the way on the rails, so I'll move it back 2cm and see if that cuts down on chaffing some on the next training ride. Still, I sure would like to make it so that the chaffing is much more difficult to make happen. My road saddle is so comfortable on my road race bike, but getting perfect comfort in a static and pretty serious aero position on a TT/Tri bike is quite a bit different. It's my only remaining challenge to resolve, and the most important one for staying put.
Quote Reply

Prev Next