Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Leadville luck?
Quote | Reply
Anyone get a spot? No mtb for me this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [CBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope on mtb lottery, didn't enter run lottery. Signed up for Silver Rush though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, second year trying to get in for me.

KOM Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No luck for me. 5 years and counting...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didn't try for the lottery but I'll be in the run camp this year!

To dumb to quit
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for MTB? In a big circle of MTB friends, I don't know a single person that has been selected if they did not have a huge legacy base of previous races or volunteer hours. I know the odds are super slim. I'd estimate between qualifiers, race day lottery, charity slots, camps, legacy riders, volunteers and sponsor exemptions there are less than 100 slots true luck slots available. I'll figure out the math one day, but I cant be far off.

Looking for a place to swim? check out http://swimradar.com
Mountain Bike and Adventure Guiding - http://fivestaradventure.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
0-2 for me.. Going to go anyway and crew the bike, do the TransRockies 3day solo run than maybe try and pace someone for the run... will be a big week!
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [shannond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shannond wrote:
for MTB? In a big circle of MTB friends, I don't know a single person that has been selected if they did not have a huge legacy base of previous races or volunteer hours. I know the odds are super slim. I'd estimate between qualifiers, race day lottery, charity slots, camps, legacy riders, volunteers and sponsor exemptions there are less than 100 slots true luck slots available. I'll figure out the math one day, but I cant be far off.

I don't think this lottery is even in the same conversation of hopelessness that is Western States or Hardrock or Barkley. I am a combined 0-for-11 in those. I was, however, 1-for-3 in Kona lotteries. /brag

Full disclosure - I got in to this through volunteer hours, not random draw.

I contemplated doing the run the following weekend also, but chose to skip it in favor of planning a big deal for the solar eclipse the following day. /nerd
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CBO wrote:
Anyone get a spot? No mtb for me this year.

Yep, first try for me! Our group of 5 got selected, 3 of us first attempt. Maybe the "group" thing increased our odds??

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:

I don't think this lottery is even in the same conversation of hopelessness that is Western States or Hardrock or Barkley. I am a combined 0-for-11 in those. I was, however, 1-for-3 in Kona lotteries. /brag

Full disclosure - I got in to this through volunteer hours, not random draw.

I contemplated doing the run the following weekend also, but chose to skip it in favor of planning a big deal for the solar eclipse the following day. /nerd

I failed to get in for the 4th year in a row. Doesn't Western States have a system that increases your odds every year you apply but don't get in? That seems to give hope that time will eventually get you in.
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IanH wrote:

I failed to get in for the 4th year in a row. Doesn't Western States have a system that increases your odds every year you apply but don't get in? That seems to give hope that time will eventually get you in.

Yes, both WS and HR doubles your number of tickets for each successive year you are not selected. Each year the number of applicants increases also, so your odds do not actually double each year, but kinda close.

Here is a sample of this year's rough odds:

Western States
1 ticket (1st year) = 2.5 % chance
4 tickets (3rd year) = 9.5 % chance
32 tickets (6th year) = 55.1 % chance

So if you have staying power, you have a decent chance of getting into WS. Hardrock outlook is not as rosey. You'd get there eventually, but that's a lot of years of being uninjured and running qualifying races etc

Hardrock
1 ticket (1st year) = 0.6 % chance
4 tickets (3rd year) = 2.4 % chance
32 tickets (6th year) = 17.6 % chance

As far as I know, Lifetime doesn't share the numbers of lottery applicants, or how many of the ultimate entrants are actually lottery selections (as opposed to sponsor slots, qualifier slots,etc). if someone has this info, please share.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No luck for me for the fifth or sixth year. Thinking seriously entering the Silver King next year. I just need to convince myself that jogging 50 miles is a good idea after riding 50 miles the day before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got in. First time I've tried and I signed up solo on a whim. Not sure if I'm excited or terrified...
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [motriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From where are you coming?? We all feel the same way (5 of us, all who live in CO) but more excited than terrified! Going to be a big day at high altitude but time wise less than an IM!!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MO, there are two other friend of mine who entered the lottery and all got in as well. We all decided at different times and were sure only one of us would get in and then we'd be stuck training on our own. We'll probably make at least one training trip out in the Spring. Looking forward to taking the year off running, too many issues in the last year. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [motriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In on the Run!!! Pretty pumped, now time to train!!
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sommer wrote:
No luck for me. 5 years and counting...

Three of us got in last year on our first try, signed up as a group of 5 (one had done before, and one had tried before). I believe the group thing significantly increases your odds of getting in?! If one drawn, all are in? Seems worth a consideration for you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we got in. I got the email last night but my teammate did not. Does that seem right? Does the email have any confirmation numbers etc? Mine just has some certificate withnot much more information on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shannond wrote:

I know 6 guys that applied individually this year (i.e. not as a group). 5 of them it was their first time applying and they've got no volunteer hours or legacy hook. 1 guy has applied a few times - not sure how many.

Of that 5 of the 6 got in this year.

* I did not apply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shannond wrote:

Funny that I know a couple guys (who are not MTBers) and they both got in in different years.
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [bgyglfr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bgyglfr wrote:
I think we got in. I got the email last night but my teammate did not. Does that seem right? Does the email have any confirmation numbers etc? Mine just has some certificate withnot much more information on it.

Mine was an email from ChronoTrack saying "congratulations, you have been selected" etc. and all of us got the same email.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Entered lottery in '15, didn't get in. Entered lottery for this year not expecting to get in and did. Ordered a new Canyon Exceed and ramping up the miles!
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [OakCliffTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OakCliffTri wrote:
Entered lottery in '15, didn't get in. Entered lottery for this year not expecting to get in and did. Ordered a new Canyon Exceed and ramping up the miles!

How do you like the bike? I've been eyeing these (although they're frequently out of stock). Also a bit questioning of the direct sale approach - did you assemble yourself and if so, how much wrenching was involved?
Quote Reply
Re: Leadville luck? [sscott43] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Exceed is amazing! Super light, responsive and a perfect fit. I didn’t know if I’d like the gripshifts since I didn’t the last time I rode them- apparently 20 years of R&D makes a difference! Very fast shifting and the 1x12 has more than enough range for everything I’ve seen so far (disclaimer- I live in Dallas so my Hill climbing is limited). Taking it to Leadville in July for a recon trip so I’ll post up after that.

Direct marketing approach was SO EASY. Ordered After calling helpline 1x bc of a fit Q. It arrived 4-5 days later. Free shipping and no sales tax is a plus. Was assembled in approx 30 mins and I’m no mechanic. Had a slight issue with a missing front wheel adaptor but it turned out it was in the box. Once solved it was easy. The box it is shipped in can be reused too. Came lubed and tuned and several hundred miles later and the bike has not been to a shop yet for a tuneup
I highly recommend Canyon as my experience has been perfect save a minor scratch on the front rim. I emailed customer support and never got a response. It was extremely minor so I haven’t pursued but that would be only complaint.
sscott43 wrote:
OakCliffTri wrote:

How do you like the bike? I've been eyeing these (although they're frequently out of stock). Also a bit questioning of the direct sale approach - did you assemble yourself and if so, how much wrenching was involved?
Quote Reply