Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 2 Edition
Quote | Reply
It's 2017!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 2 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm soooo ready to move on from 2016. Probably for the first time ever I'm one run ahead on the 100/100 challenge. Heater at the pool is STILL not fixed, so no swimming. Took it easy on the bike because my priority is to get in 30 or so minutes of easy, slow "run" in each day.

Happy new year to all!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hurray new year!

That sucks your pool heater is still busted.

Last week... awesome! Work was a bitch - got to work every day at 5am and didn't leave until after 7pm. Great thing about my job is that I can bug out for a workout mid-day.

M (holiday): Run 3, Swim 2100LCM, Run 3.5
T: 1 hour TrainerRoad, Run 4.1
W: Swim 2,000SCY, Run, 3
R: Run 4.1
F: Run 3
S: Rest
S: Swim 1500LCM, Trail Run 10.2
Total Time: 8:31

I'm one run behind in the 100/100 at #57 and I'm #27 in Guppy (which seems to be ranking based on distance). I've been 3 for 4 each week thus far in Guppy.

Trail run was soooo cold, wet, and windy. It didn't really rain, but there was so much moisture in the air it just stuck to me.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 2 Edition [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lovely pictures!
EricTheBiking has been really responsive to fixing things on the challenges - I'd let him know Guppy is ranking by distance.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goals this week: I have so much schoolwork to do. One of the projects is near completion!
Day off from running. done!
Swim 5x. weather got in the way of this. I swam 4x.
Try the rollers 2x. nope

I had a pretty good week. I am nearly done setting up the course I teach this term :-) workout-wise, I swam 4x, ran 6x, did 40 min on the stairmaster, and 50 min of yoga.

My goals this week:
swim 4x (2 done)
run less than or equal to 6 times
try rollers today, tomorrow, or both

I fly to Atlanta tomorrow night for a conference - the Joint Mathematics Meetings, which is the largest gathering of mathematicians in the world! This may not sound very exciting but I really enjoy it. I will be there all day Thursday and Friday, and I fly from there to Oregon on Saturday afternoon.

I have a phone interview this afternoon with a school I'm interested in, and other places should be reviewing applications - keep your fingers crossed for me as there are still a couple places I'd like to have interested in me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fingers crossed!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happy New Year and thanks for getting us started, tigerchik. My fingers are still crossed for you -- I didn't realize you were a fellow mathlete -- safe travels :D

SLOGoing, great photos! Glad you're still getting out at lunchtime.

My week was good. Our polar plunge was rescheduled so I ran trails in the mud, mist, and muck to close out the year. It was glorious:

My weekly totals were daily p/rehab, 3 bikes, 3 strength sessions, 2 runs, 1 swim [swimmers: Is it always hard to find open pools during the holidays? Seemed like every one was closed for maintenance], a yoga class, and a rock climbing outing (I'm doing a multi-stage adventure race in less than two weeks so I'm brushing up on my climbing skills and a few other things before we go).

This week it'll be daily p/rehab, 3 bikes, 3 strength sessions, 3 runs, 2 swims and a polar plunge, 1 or 2 yoga classes and 1 or 2 rock climbing outings depending on work.

I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting the new year off with a sinus infection (with swelling bad enough to cause toothaches that keep me awake at night) and hoping our 4th trip to the dealership will FINALLY sort out whatever is wrong with our car.

Made no goals for last week but ran 7 x and walked a bunch, plus a couple of strength workouts. Been tapering for the 8-hour indoor race this Saturday - not sure how that's going to go since I'm ill, but I'll give it a whack anyway as apparently it's the last year for this race (and it's one I've never done before).

Got out for a New Year's Eve trail run on a bit of trail I hadn't seen in winter yet:

The trail runs through the middle of a place called Bingemans that has a campground, waterpark, bowling alley, mini golf, and event halls, and apparently does a huge Christmas lights display as a charity fundraiser in the winter. I got to run through it, including a really neat tunnel made of lights.

New Year's Day I finally got out for an xc ski with my husband along the river - I brought a kettle, stove & mugs along in a daypack, and we stopped in the woods just after sunset for a hot chocolate brew-up. We'd intended to go camping over the New Year's weekend, but between car trouble and both of us being sick, we figured it was better to have our own warm bed to crawl into.

We did light ourselves a fire in the backyard to finish off New Year's Day, so got most of the fun of winter camping anyway - my sweetheart even made me a mincemeat fire pie!

It wasn't until we were already out there and cozy by the fire that we realized the temperature had dropped to -10c (14f) - crazy after 2c (35f) during the afternoon!

Ended off our holidays Monday with a just-after-sunset run along another bit of trail that I'd neglected for awhile - such a lovely, peaceful evening.

This week's goals:
run x 5
strength x 1 (done)
foam roll x 1 (done)
yoga x 1

I'd like to at least get 45-50km in on Saturday - enough to call it an ultra. Will probably do a run 4 laps/walk 1 lap (232m track) strategy from the start and see how that goes. I've never done an 8-hour before, nor an indoor race, so I have no performance goals or distance to beat; just going to play it by ear.

Last edited by: Anna s: Jan 4, 17 8:56
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
It's 2017!

yay! :-) We got a bunch of us + the kids out for snowshoeing on New Years Day, which was pretty spectacular. I snuck in 2 runs but both were sucky due to slush and/or ice. Still better than a kick in the pants, right?

This week is:
- finalize what's left to do at work and what will be my last day
- get new job arrangements sorted
- skate 3x
- referee all day Sat
- dryland/cables/core/drills 1x
- run 1x - if the ice disappears! :-(

With all the ice on our roads and trails it's virtually impossible to run or ride. It's been frustrating to say the least. We are expecting more snow tomorrow too. Gah! I'll just have to xc ski or snowshoe more I guess.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 2 Edition [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anna s wrote:
love the idea with the camping stove.

This is my way of using up partial cartridges that I bring home from solo trips - it's low risk if I run out of fuel, and it means I don't have to carry multiple partial cartridges when I'm out backpacking on my own (since most of my solo trips are only a couple of nights I never need more than 1 full one). We have a (bigger, heavier) multi-fuel stove we use when we camp together.

Loving those mountain views from the west coast womens!

Good luck to TC for the job interviewing - have fun at the conference!

And good luck to Andy with the job transition!

Quote | Reply
Happy New Year to all the women!

I'm back from my holiday to South Africa. It was for the most part, pretty awesome. I absolutely loved the safari we went on, which I didn't think I would. I also feel like we barely scratched the surface, even having spent three weeks there.

I'm spending the rest of the week getting things set up for next week when reality will hit; I'm currently on my 4th load of laundry for the day (so maybe it has already). We're also maybe, kind-of car shopping as we've been having real problems with our second vehicle. I wonder how that will fit in with my ambition to have our bathroom reno'd this spring.

Workout wise I want to get on the trainer twice and actually do my physio exercises!
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 2 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm glad you had a good trip.

I have this dream of somehow going back in time and seeing Africa (and all the wildlife) in the time of "Out of Africa".

My goal is to make it through soccer tonight. I did most of the "Christmas clean-up" eating and a lot of lazing around.

Next week I'm starting swimming - rec center has great kid care so I can drop the baby off while the big boy is in school. I'm pretty excited. I biked and ran once in the basement to prove I could. So no more excuses, I'm going to do a local tri the end of May.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 2 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Next week I'm starting swimming - rec center has great kid care so I can drop the baby off while the big boy is in school. I'm pretty excited. I biked and ran once in the basement to prove I could. So no more excuses, I'm going to do a local tri the end of May.

good deal!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 2 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent goal!
Quote Reply