Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
. In theory, the lower thermal conductivity of carbon fiber can cause heat to build up in the rim during a descent and enough heat will cause a latex tube to fail. I think you and I may have touched on this the other night while discussing the location of brake tracks relative to rim beds: the location is chosen so that the rim bed can serve as thermal mass.

Right and in regard to the other thread that was started regarding tires. Enve doesn't even advise latex tubes. I used latex tubes with Enve no problem but it does give me some pause.

That's a deal-breaker right there...I had forgotten about that.

I wonder if that has anything to do with their decision to use hookless beads? I can imagine a latex tube could possibly "jack" the bead right off...

Damn...all this strange stuff people will put up with just because they can't accept that perhaps making a bicycle rim ONLY out of carbon fiber composite might not be the best overall solution for performance :-/

Did not even consider the hookless beads. Do any other manufacturers do that?

IIRC, mostly MTB rims (for example, I believe Stan's rims are hookless), but those are typically all run tubeless AND at much lower pressures.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
ENVE focuses more on the quality of the material than any other major wheel company.

I'm a fan of Enve too, but you way want to dial back the over-the-top fanfare a bit.

Interesting comments about env QC at the end of this article...

"Speaking of cost, the SES 4.5 AR Disc’s position on the pricing spectrum brings with it understandably high expectations in terms of finish work and general quality control. However, both of my test wheels had what appeared to be small voids and wrinkles in the carbon plies that could be both seen and felt."

https://cyclingtips.com/...w-changing-the-game/
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
I wonder if that has anything to do with their decision to use hookless beads? I can imagine a latex tube could possibly "jack" the bead right off...

Sounds like it may have more to do with their decision to use internal nipples
https://enve.zendesk.com/...ENVE-Clincher-Wheels

Either way I'm not concerned about it especially in disc based braking wheels.
Last edited by: PubliusValerius: Jan 1, 17 16:28
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see Mavic's prototype at Interbike this year? They used a high-grade foam for the fairing and an aluminum box rim. I literally kicked myself when I saw that. Injection molding foam is easy and CHEAP and some foams can be shockingly strong. The only downside, IIRC, was that it used internal nipples. If I had the spare time (I don't) I'd machine my own fairings and glue them up to something like a Velocity Cliffhanger.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Did you see Mavic's prototype at Interbike this year? They used a high-grade foam for the fairing and an aluminum box rim. I literally kicked myself when I saw that. Injection molding foam is easy and CHEAP and some foams can be shockingly strong. The only downside, IIRC, was that it used internal nipples. If I had the spare time (I don't) I'd machine my own fairings and glue them up to something like a Velocity Cliffhanger.

No, I missed it...but I've seen pics.

The sad thing is that most will dismiss them as "cheapo", even though it's an excellent solution.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
. In theory, the lower thermal conductivity of carbon fiber can cause heat to build up in the rim during a descent and enough heat will cause a latex tube to fail. I think you and I may have touched on this the other night while discussing the location of brake tracks relative to rim beds: the location is chosen so that the rim bed can serve as thermal mass.

Right and in regard to the other thread that was started regarding tires. Enve doesn't even advise latex tubes. I used latex tubes with Enve no problem but it does give me some pause.

I was just reading this old thread today and you stated you were interested in longtime reviews on wheel performance. Six years ago (I think) I bought a set of Enve 45/65s and a year later a set of Enve System 8.9s...each with G3 powertap from Wheelbuilder. I still train and race on both wheelsets...with latex tubes. The only issue I ever had was on the descent at Zell am See, Austria in 2015 (using the 8.9s). In that race, I generated enough heat on the front rim to create a small deformation on the front brake track that led to a noticeable pulse when braking afterwards. At the end of the race, I saw several rims with carbon heat smears up to 8" long. Enve replaced the front rims at no cost.

Braking on the Enve 45/65 is "mediocre", but I ride those old wheels (with disc cover) on an even older 2010 Giant Advanced Trinity SL-1 set up as a 1x12 drive which I use on flat coastal courses in Florida. It is a freaking fast bike/wheel combo. Braking on the System 8.9s is "good". In addition to Austria, I've also ridden them in IM Switzerland and Powerman Zofingen without any issue. The 8.9s are on an old 2012 BMC TM01 which is my travel/climbing bike. Apart from one steep descent in the Alps, this has been a phenomenal wheelset that I intend to keep forever ... and will use with latex without a second thought given the real world experience I have on them.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. It would be interesting to see what brands survived that race without deformation. Enve makes a solid set of wheels no doubt and people have good customer service experiences for the most part. When I thought I was moving again I made the determination to go with a HED JET 6+ as my all-around race wheel for simplicity sake. Now that I am fixed in a location again, semi-permanently, I would no problem having a 7 SES in the line-up as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What we need to do is figure out how to improve the drag of the Corsa Speed when mounted on the Enve 7 wheel. It should be the clear winner in lowest drag+Crr with just a little work.

Has anyone taken a razor blade to the edge of the tread? Added a little silicone?
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [chicanery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the case of the CS, I would try adding before I tried subtracting. There's not exactly a lot to remove from that tire 😳
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
You know, I hadn't actually considered the zipps to tell you the truth. You like those better than the heds? I think the main reason is I'd like something in the 60-70mm range in the front, while the only zipp options are 40 and 80, nothing in between.

I didn’t read the whole thread but a 404 is actually 60 mm high.....but someone already pointed this out

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus Black 60/90 [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
I'm trying to decide between these two race wheelsets. The price difference will be $835. They will be used exclusively on my tri bike, and I normally gravitate toward hilly races. The Enves are a bit lighter and much much wider.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I've never ridden any wheel from either of these two manufacturers.

Thanks,
-Colin

EDIT: Should specify that I'm talking about the disc brake models.

In this case you could also look at the hed vanquish. they seem to be disc brake optimzed and available in 80 and 60 mm and are full carbon and completely designed atound the use of disc brakes.

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, apologies for adding to an old thread but I noticed a few posts in here on wheel weight and was wondering what people's actual measured weights were for the HED Jet Black 6/9s and Enve 7.8s?

I have a set of the Jet Black 6/9s and I think mine weigh in a little heavier than claimed by HED at 745 gram front and 1055g rear, with rim tape but without skewers. Just wondering what others have found?

Great wheels mind, have thems as (over the top) training wheels + for hilly races and the front for when it's v windy. Also have a Jet 9 Black front and Jet Balck Disc as my primary race wheels. These also weighed in a little heaveier than claimed at 800g for the 9 front and 1300g for the Disc.

Having been toying with the idea of picking up a 2nd hand set of either Enve 7.8s or 8.9 (tubulars) to save some more weight over the Jet9/Disc combo for hilly races, but not sure it's really worth it over the 6/9s I already have.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
And don't try to act like you wouldn't pick up a pair if you found $3400 laying around. We all would.

The marketeers at Enve really did get it right didn't they :-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [rider1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rider1981 wrote:
Hi, apologies for adding to an old thread but I noticed a few posts in here on wheel weight and was wondering what people's actual measured weights were for the HED Jet Black 6/9s and Enve 7.8s?

I have a set of the Jet Black 6/9s and I think mine weigh in a little heavier than claimed by HED at 745 gram front and 1055g rear, with rim tape but without skewers. Just wondering what others have found?

Great wheels mind, have thems as (over the top) training wheels + for hilly races and the front for when it's v windy. Also have a Jet 9 Black front and Jet Balck Disc as my primary race wheels. These also weighed in a little heaveier than claimed at 800g for the 9 front and 1300g for the Disc.

Having been toying with the idea of picking up a 2nd hand set of either Enve 7.8s or 8.9 (tubulars) to save some more weight over the Jet9/Disc combo for hilly races, but not sure it's really worth it over the 6/9s I already have.

I don't recall the exact numbers, but when I bought my Jet6 Blacks, they were one of the few components in my bike build that actually came in UNDER the claimed weight (by ~10g, IIRC)

Quote Reply
Re: Enve 7.8 vs Hed Jet Plus 60/90 [rider1981] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rider1981 wrote:

The idea of buying tubulars to save weight is likely to be good only if you don't carry a spare. A GP4000iis weighs 270gms. A good tube weighs about 80gms. So that's a 190gm difference. Hed Stinger 6s weigh 1481gms. Black 6+ weigh 1673 gms. The difference is 192gms. So for this example, if you carry 1 tube vs. 1 spare tubular, the net savings is 2 gms - before glue (on 2 rims and 3 tires). Now, add in rolling resistance changes and you're likely behind switching to tubulars.

Full disclosure, I race TTs on tubulars. The wheels I wanted didn't have a clincher option and I don't carry a spare. Flat in a TT and your race is done, unless it's close to the finish and you can ride it in.

Sorry, just realized that you were looking to replace the 90/disc with tubulars. You may save a little weight if you plan for only 1 flat, but not 2. I still don't think it's worth it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next