Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fastest tubular?? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Hi jens, how are you testing these tires? On a roller drum? Can I ship you a Veloflex Record 21C tubular tire properly glued to a Zipp 404 650c rear wheel with PowerTap G3C hub to test?

I test with a bike on a roller with the front fork fixed. I typically use a power2max or Powertap on the crank and another powertap at the hub.

I've never tried a 650c wheel on a regular bike. I don't know if it will fit. Alternatively, I could try it on one of my mountain bikes -- they're all 26 in, so again, I don't know if it will work.

Let me know if you think it would fit on either type of bike. I'd be happy to try.

Another option, is you could just get a set of these for a little more than the price of sending your wheel back and forth:

http://www.nashbar.com/...2_173072_-1___204816

You would need a forkstand too, but you could probably rig up something of your own.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Feb 24, 17 16:04
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
  1. jens wrote:
    Another option, is you could just get a set of these for a little more than the price of sending your wheel back and forth:

http://www.nashbar.com/...2_173072_-1___204816

Thanks. I actually have a set of roller already, so I suppose I could try to test on my own. Is it as simple as running the wheel at 30 or 40 km/hr and write down the wattage? Is there a proven equation I can use to get the crr based on roller diameter and tire diameter?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:

Thanks. I actually have a set of roller already, so I suppose I could try to test on my own. Is it as simple as running the wheel at 30 or 40 km/hr and write down the wattage? Is there a proven equation I can use to get the crr based on roller diameter and tire diameter?

Tom (and probably rruff orignally) have kindly provided the calculations:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J4E9Yn1vEYEnv-GW8557vzI9P_N3DL_fpLD5T14_A5M/edit?usp=sharing

Of course, you'll need to make a local copy to make changes. Getting the weight right is probably the toughest part. For sanity check I usually try a few tires where the Crr is well-known and make sure I get values that are close.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: Feb 24, 17 16:50
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced the 22mm wide version Cronos in the NC series, the roads are far from pristine, never had a flat on them, so luck I guess. I think everyone gets paranoid about flats based on what they read about the tire not from real riding reviews. Jens is right, it's a blazing fast tubular, and all the data backs it up. And after reading that adding sealant has no ill affects on cRR, I am more than comfortable wrapping the Corsa Speeds on my Stingers.
Last edited by: mike s: Feb 24, 17 17:58
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
The Vittoria Crono has absolutely no puncture protection. So you better have clean roads or a bit of luck when using them. Kind of like racing on a track tire.

Used them all season on crap UK roads without any problems. Just use sealant if you're worried.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
General reply to this thread, i am road racing this season on the new Vittoria G+ tubulars. The quality is very nice, mounted easily as always. I am concerned with the puncture protection. At the end of a 60 minute crit today there were 7-8 rocks stuck in the tire, several fairly deep. This was on nice roads and i never had that issue with the previous generation. The tread appears to be very soft, i am thinking sealant might be in order. I will do a few more weekends of races without sealant and report back, that should yield around 200-250 racing miles on good roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which size Vittoria did you roll with? The 23-28? I can only find the 25-28...
Thanks!
Juan
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [KarlC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those Zipps feels super smooth. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Dugast Speed Diamond or Strada in silk, Callenge Criterium ULTRA S, or FMB Competition CX or Record in silk. I wouldn't be surprised if those rolled really smooth too.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have some FMB Comp silks on a set of Abrosio Nemesis, they do ride great. I have no idea if they've been tested. If I recall Wiggins rode FMBs.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
Those Zipps feels super smooth. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Dugast Speed Diamond or Strada in silk, Callenge Criterium ULTRA S, or FMB Competition CX or Record in silk. I wouldn't be surprised if those rolled really smooth too.

I tried the various Dugast tires a while back. They did roll smooth, but they don't roll particularly fast. Very middle of the pack when it comes to rolling resistance. Of course there's the unbeatable bling factor of an inch-wide tire that costs more than a Michelin that you put on your SUV

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [juha-pdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
juha-pdx wrote:
Conti Podium TT.

Do they use butyl tubes?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do unless you can find the Pro version,
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Vittoria Corsa SC due to having a large stockpile. If you can actually notice a difference between them and any other similar tubular then you're a pro and have no choice over what tyre you run. Thus, if you think they are great then it's likely you're forced to ride something else (odds on - think about it)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest tubular?? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A suggested I look at Specialized All Around MOUNTAIN tubular, for a TT tire: it’s awesome and comfy ride—about a 22 mm width, & like it better than my previous fav (Vittoiria Corsa CX / CG.). I think there is a spring Specialized tire sale going on now so need to look into new ones.
Quote Reply

Prev Next