Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [sylvius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sylvius wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
davews09 wrote:
Subject says it all here. Struggling to decide on a drivetrain for my new TriRig Omni. Price is essentially a wash.

Does anyone buy (or even sell) a wired computer or power meter anymore? Nope!

Two years from now a wired electric group will be a thing of the past.

I disagree...I love my wireless computers and power meters, but there are still issues with signal transmission. Sensors (power meters included) temporarily drop not infrequently. There's also a road near my house where my HRM always reads in the 180s for a half block stretch because of some sort of weird interference. I can deal with brief erratic heart rate readings or stretches of zero cadence or power...gaps in information won't hurt me as long as they are brief. However, if I'm going uphill and needing to downshift it's gotta happen with 100% reliability. Wires are really good at that, wireless is still a work in progress.

I have SRAM etap and have never experienced any interference. However, I have had the HRM issue. Dollars to doughnuts its a underground dog fence causing your HRM to spike. That's what mine was.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [Calvin386] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calvin386 wrote:
sylvius wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
davews09 wrote:
Subject says it all here. Struggling to decide on a drivetrain for my new TriRig Omni. Price is essentially a wash.

Does anyone buy (or even sell) a wired computer or power meter anymore? Nope!

Two years from now a wired electric group will be a thing of the past.

I disagree...I love my wireless computers and power meters, but there are still issues with signal transmission. Sensors (power meters included) temporarily drop not infrequently. There's also a road near my house where my HRM always reads in the 180s for a half block stretch because of some sort of weird interference. I can deal with brief erratic heart rate readings or stretches of zero cadence or power...gaps in information won't hurt me as long as they are brief. However, if I'm going uphill and needing to downshift it's gotta happen with 100% reliability. Wires are really good at that, wireless is still a work in progress.

I have SRAM etap and have never experienced any interference. However, I have had the HRM issue. Dollars to doughnuts its a underground dog fence causing your HRM to spike. That's what mine was.

The reliability of the eTap wireless is pretty astonishing. They absolutely nailed that part of it. I'd argue it's so reliable that it's effectively a wash vs. wired issues with abrasion, leakage, shorting, etc. If not more reliable altogether.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just had my blip box fail on me today for no reason in the middle of a ride and the entire system is dead. I ran di2 on my previous set up and have NEVER had a failure. Also, Di2 def shifts a tad faster...internal battery keeps a charge WAY longer...just feel as though Shimano is a bit more bullet proof. The blip box on Etap is also more cumbersome and the system is harder to tune. Shimano you can literally fine tune even during mid ride.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [pvrider310] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvrider310 wrote:
... I ran di2 on my previous set up and have NEVER had a failure. Also, Di2 def shifts a tad faster...internal battery keeps a charge WAY longer...just feel as though Shimano is a bit more bullet proof. The blip box on Etap is also more cumbersome and the system is harder to tune. Shimano you can literally fine tune even during mid ride.

My feelings too. The only thing that was better about etap in my case was the 20 minutes less it took to install compared to di2. Which really is a bad reason to choose one group over another. I went Di2, to etap, then back to Di2.. Friends just built two bikes with etap....the yare not liking the expsed blip box, the batteries, and now regret not having gone with di2..
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a company that has invented almost all of the innovations currently in use in bike components, Shimano is conservative, iterates slowly and only releases product after they're certain of their engineering. There are numerous examples of Shimano refusing to move off of "aged" designs that still work well:
- alloy cranks
- cup and cone hubs
- their long refusal to support press fit BBs (which they only very grudgingly started to support years after they became dominant)
- cup and cone pedal spindles
- wired Di2
...etc.

All of these designs have something in common: they've not been improved upon by more "modern" designs.

I've personally never had any malfunction with Shimano stuff in ~30 years of using it (since Ultegra was called 600). Meanwhile, I've had Sram master cylinders fail, Sram shifters break, a Rockshox fork seals fail, a Zipp stem fail etc. I only buy Shimano / Pro stuff now.
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hiro11 wrote:
For a company that has invented almost all of the innovations currently in use in bike components, Shimano is conservative, iterates slowly and only releases product after they're certain of their engineering. There are numerous examples of Shimano refusing to move off of "aged" designs that still work well:
- alloy cranks
- cup and cone hubs
- their long refusal to support press fit BBs (which they only very grudgingly started to support years after they became dominant)
- cup and cone pedal spindles
- wired Di2
...etc.

All of these designs have something in common: they've not been improved upon by more "modern" designs.

I've personally never had any malfunction with Shimano stuff in ~30 years of using it (since Ultegra was called 600). Meanwhile, I've had Sram master cylinders fail, Sram shifters break, a Rockshox fork seals fail, a Zipp stem fail etc. I only buy Shimano / Pro stuff now.

Agreed. I'm looking forward to the release of their power meter, which I wish I could get now.....
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
except Shimano's next group will almost certainly be wireless based on some prototypes and patents floating around the web right now
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [pvrider310] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvrider310 wrote:
I just had my blip box fail on me today for no reason in the middle of a ride and the entire system is dead. I ran di2 on my previous set up and have NEVER had a failure. Also, Di2 def shifts a tad faster...internal battery keeps a charge WAY longer...just feel as though Shimano is a bit more bullet proof. The blip box on Etap is also more cumbersome and the system is harder to tune. Shimano you can literally fine tune even during mid ride.

You can fine tune eTap mid ride as well and I think it’s easier to do than Di2.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: SRAM RED eTap vs. Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 9150: Which would you choose and why? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
pvrider310 wrote:
Shimano you can literally fine tune even during mid ride.

You can fine tune eTap mid ride as well and I think it’s easier to do than Di2.

x2

Unless you mount your blipbox upside down, you can totally tune your microshifting mid-ride.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply

Prev Next