Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ex Macina came out 33 years after Blade Runner.

What philosophical questions or understandings were presented in Ex Machina that weren't better handled in Blade Runner?

It is odd that technology has advanced so much in the last 30 years but our philosophical musings about technology have not.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [dirtymangos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dirtymangos wrote:

What philosophical questions or understandings were presented in Ex Machina that weren't better handled in Blade Runner?

It is odd that technology has advanced so much in the last 30 years but our philosophical musings about technology have not.

Sure. As I said, there wasn't anything really novel in terms of ideas in this film. If you read really any of the good science fiction written over the past 100 years or so, you'll see similar themes and questions.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [M.E.T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M.E.T. wrote:
Now I remember what I thought about 'Ex Machina' at the time. A real Turing test wouldn't be to fool a person into thinking that an AI was a human, the real test would be if an AI could manipulate a human.
It happens now all the time. I know some people who refer to Siri as "she" and blindly follow directions when they are clearly wrong because "Siri said I should..." No joke, there was road construction with clear signs directing cars through the detours but these two got lost because what Siri was saying didn't match reality and they believed Siri and not the traffic signs...or even me in the back seat telling them where to go! (Yeah, I know, this is a case of severely clueless people :) )

The real trick is if an AI can manipulate someone who goes into the encounter already believing they are interacting with an AI designed as a manipulative lying piece of tech that is not to be trusted.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [M.E.T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think the distinction is between sociopathy and amoral behavior that's relevant (out of curiosity).

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As everyone has said, well made movie, no content that hasn't already been explored. Wish I could find the article I read a while back, but it was written by a leading AI researcher and it hypothesized three things in regards to discovering true AI. One of them was that if true AI manipulated humans into letting it connect to the web, humans could very possibly be rendered extinct before anyone actually knew we created AI. I think he had that possibility at above 33%. A bit scary.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved it. Just started watching Westworld too, which is great.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [Velocibuddha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velocibuddha wrote:

I liked Blade Runner and also liked this. Great entertainment.

I'd contend that our philosophical musings have not advanced much since Plato and Aristotle and other Greeks of that era. Since then it has just been window dressing and new words wrapped around old concepts.

EDIT: Revived this thread with great comments throughout as I just watched it on Netflix.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Last edited by: H-: Aug 8, 18 19:35
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I finally saw it and found it to be very thought provoking. I wanted to discuss, but only if there's interest.

Loved it, especially the ending. Wasn't that popular in Australia, I guess it was really marketed much.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Replying generally to sci fi fans --

saw a roundup the other day on top ten underrated films -- included were

Equilibrium (Christopher Bale)
Sunshine (Danny Boyle directed)
Moon (Sam Rockwell)

anyone see them? any good?
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [kiki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

Moon (Sam Rockwell)

Moon is brilliant. Not a lot happens, it's a slow burner, but I loved it. Sam Rockwell was great in it as well 3 Billboards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kiki wrote:

Moon (Sam Rockwell)

What were some of the other movies? I'm always looking for ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [Endo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut0SXRC0Kcw[/url]

the comments were helpful too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, here's the list (which is SciFi specific). I think I've seen all these except Stalker and Strange Days. Now I have a couple movies to add to the queue.

1. Moon (2009)
2. Sunshine (2007)
3. eXisTenz (1999)
4. Strange Days (1995)
5. Equilibrium (2002)
6. Silent Running (1972)
7. Mr. Nobody (2009)
8. Heavy Metal (1981)
9. Primer (2004)
10. 2010 (1984)

Honorable Mentions:
Sphere (1998)
Titan A.E. (2000)
Enemy Mine (1985)
Pitch Black (2000)
Stalker (1979)
Last edited by: Endo: Aug 9, 18 7:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
manage expectations on Strange Days, would have wanted a bit more from Fiennes and Gibson -- thanks for the list, enjoy
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Velocibuddha wrote:

I liked Blade Runner and also liked this. Great entertainment.

I'd contend that our philosophical musings have not advanced much since Plato and Aristotle and other Greeks of that era. Since then it has just been window dressing and new words wrapped around old concepts.

EDIT: Revived this thread with great comments throughout as I just watched it on Netflix.

That reminds me a of a Malcolm Muggeridge quote "new news is old news happening to new people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Moon (Sam Rockwell)

I have seen all 3. All are very good.

I really liked Equilibrium. Moon was super interesting. Sunshine was good, but had some goofy aspects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
1. Moon (2009)
2. Sunshine (2007)
3. eXisTenz (1999)
4. Strange Days (1995)
5. Equilibrium (2002)
6. Silent Running (1972)
7. Mr. Nobody (2009)
8. Heavy Metal (1981)
9. Primer (2004)
10. 2010 (1984)

Honorable Mentions:
Sphere (1998)
Titan A.E. (2000)
Enemy Mine (1985)
Pitch Black (2000)
Stalker (1979)

Good list. I have seen all except Silent Running, Mr. Nobody, Primer, and Stalker.

Was Gattica more popular to not be considered underrated?

I was surprised by Justin Timberlake in "In Time"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of you that liked Primer, then Shane Carruth has another movie out there called Upstream Color (sci-fi based) that is also really good. He's brilliant. Acts, writes, directs, produces, composes the original scores of his movies. Too bad he doesn't do more stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SilYsr_3vrA

I thought the movie Ink was another pretty good relatively unknown sci-fi film. Be warned, it is a pretty low budget production though.

https://www.youtube.com/...ZBGeErufQdY&t=1s

Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perseus wrote:

That reminds me a of a Malcolm Muggeridge quote "new news is old news happening to new people."

First, this is such a great thread, thanks Barry. I've got my viewing list here.

Now, as to Blade Runner (1982) or Ex Machina, The Who beat them both to it with a song in 1978 on the Who Are You album, "905," which begins:

Quote:
Mother was an incubator
Father was the contents
of a test tube in the ice box
In the factory of birth

My name is 905,
And I've just become alive
I'm the newest populator
Of the planet we call Earth
And includes:

Quote:
And everything I know is what I need to know
And everything I do's been done before
Every sentence in my head
Someone else has said
At each end of my life is an open door

Lyrics here

Song with lyrics here.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
First, this is such a great thread, thanks Barry. I've got my viewing list here.

Now, as to Blade Runner (1982) or Ex Machina, The Who beat them both to it with a song in 1978 on the Who Are You album, "905"...

Nice!

Some of the themes are even older. Fritz Lang was on it in 1927.

(Poster from Giorgio Moroder's 1984 version.)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Any Ex Machina fans here? [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Fritz Lang was on it in 1927.

Original Metropolis, there's another one in my list.

________
Quote Reply

Prev Next