Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Many expect it somehow to be free.

No Dave, most people just want a quality outfit that looks nice, for a decent price. What they usually get is sub par quality, shitty looking, and pay more than high retail. This part of the team experience should not be a revenue generator for USAT, it should be a perk for those that spent the time and effort to make the team. At most the cost should be a OEM deal on the clothes, and they should not be bleeding clothing companies dry with a big up front fee to be the official "sponsor". By the time they pay the vig to be the official line, they either have to over charge and under produce to get their money back. Or they could look at it like a great marketing opportunity and lose money, which they never seem to do. But it begins with the shake down at the beginning, sets it up to be a no win deal financially for everyone except USAT.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You pretty much nailed it Monty.
We had a USA suit that was a great quality, and looked similar to the TYR one with a USA theme. I was working the expo in Kona and a USAT guy came by and said we could not do that. Something to the effect that they were the ones that oversaw the team USA gear and he felt the suit was breaking some kind of rules. He was quite obnoxious and I referred him to the company owners. Kiwami still has the suit, so it must have come to a resolution of sorts, but contrary to the wishes of many athletes, we never could get in the process without $$$$$$. The funny thing is that a lot of the team USA athletes bought ours as they felt it was so much better. Whether it be Speedo as in the old days, or now TYR, the only way to get in the mix was to offer big $$, which a small company can't do with the small margins and high cost of producing quality goods.

monty wrote:

No Dave, most people just want a quality outfit that looks nice, for a decent price. What they usually get is sub par quality, shitty looking, and pay more than high retail. This part of the team experience should not be a revenue generator for USAT, it should be a perk for those that spent the time and effort to make the team. At most the cost should be a OEM deal on the clothes, and they should not be bleeding clothing companies dry with a big up front fee to be the official "sponsor". By the time they pay the vig to be the official line, they either have to over charge and under produce to get their money back. Or they could look at it like a great marketing opportunity and lose money, which they never seem to do. But it begins with the shake down at the beginning, sets it up to be a no win deal financially for everyone except USAT.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What they should do is have a competition among companies to come up with a team USA kit and a committee picks the best couple.No money to put up your kit, and part of the competition is how inexpensive you can offer it to the athletes. This way the clothing companies win, the athletes win, and USAT looks like the good guy, so they also win. They do not need the blood they squeeze out of the team usa turnip athletes. If they were really feeling an obligation to the actual people that pay their bills, they would even subsidize the kits, or the crowd they bring along to the race. How about some free mechanics, or massage therapists, or team organizers. I remember having to pay like $300 to bring the posse, and I didn't use a minute of any of them!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

* I agree 100%. I don't want anything for free.I don't even mind paying retail-like prices. Just offer me good quality stuff I WANT to race in and have it delivered on time.

1) Between USAT delaying when you can order stuff based on a previous world championship (you can't order one until the XYZ worlds is done) to

2) The stuff being sub-par

3) to trisports having a hand in the action and therefore raising the price w yet another middle man

4) to the huge mark ups for lettering etc...

It just smacks of rip-off. And don't hire Rudy Project to make that USA jacket which is just really good for trading. They don't make cycling clothes! Hire a company to make all the USA kit - warm ups, parade uniform, etc.. that REALLY does that ALL the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Man, you have to read some stuff knowing I was smiling while writing it. Trust me, there are folks who told me directly they think the TeamUSA stuff should be free, and paid
for by the USAT membership, since they feel they are representing our country. Do I agree, nope, but some have that opinion.

From what I understand, USAT does not "make" a profit, with TeamUSA costs. It covers the costs. Are they too high? Lots of opinions on this stuff.

For me, I want to pay for the best quality I can get for the money. I would hope we get the stuff from the mfg's at cost, since they get their stuff shown in a pretty positive
way, but again, just my opinion. Many just cry wolf that they are a starving college kid and cannot afford any of the costs. Gets old after many years of seeing this from some.

Oh well, if WTC or USAT come up, some just get all emotional, no matter what the topic is.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:
monty wrote:

* I agree 100%. I don't want anything for free.I don't even mind paying retail-like prices. Just offer me good quality stuff I WANT to race in and have it delivered on time.

1) Between USAT delaying when you can order stuff based on a previous world championship (you can't order one until the XYZ worlds is done) to

3) to trisports having a hand in the action and therefore raising the price w yet another middle man

It just smacks of rip-off. And don't hire Rudy Project to make that USA jacket which is just really good for trading. They don't make cycling clothes! Hire a company to make all the USA kit - warm ups, parade uniform, etc.. that REALLY does that ALL the time.

Yep

I know Desoto wanted to make stuff also.

I do know that USAT really changes stuff to give their sponsors the edge. Quality or not, they do some stuff that may not be the best for membership.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which brings up another point. if we, the age group participants/USAT members, are paying full retail price for pretty much everything associated with going to ITU worlds, exactly how are these companies "sponsoring" us?

just to be clear, i dont really want anything free, as long as we can get quality kit for our money.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
which brings up another point. if we, the age group participants/USAT members, are paying full retail price for pretty much everything associated with going to ITU worlds, exactly how are these companies "sponsoring" us?

just to be clear, i dont really want anything free, as long as we can get quality kit for our money.

Again, was just joking about the free, but again, some real that is their right.

This issue on cost, costs, etc. and all the stuff around TeamUSA is always so emotional for many, with opinions on all sides.

I am just proud I have had the chance to be on TeamUSA and represent our country. The uniform/entry costs are peanuts compared to the travel, impact om work and family, etc.
The higher you go in any sport, the more expensive it becomes.

Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [bluesmachine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bluesmachine wrote:

Agree, not asking for a hand out, rather a uniform that is of better quality with so many options out there. I don't think USAT is profiting off of us... what they use the money ggeiger noted as part of the uniform process... who knows? My guess it gets pumped into other Elite/development programs. I'm not ripping USAT here, I think they do a great job with a limited budget and staff for TeamUSA. I'm guessing that using Trisports for the uniform dispersal alleviates a great deal of workload off of the USAT staff. I'd really like to think we'd have a nicer kit than the one we race in for TeamUSA, which is a big deal and honor for me.

I actually like this years shorts(same brand as last years/different color) and shirt for the parade package... 2XU did a good job on the shirt and the shorts are comfortable. I'm wearing them right now at home although my kids rib me on wearing my TeamUSA gear. Agree on the Rudy Project jacket... my daughter wears it more than I do, great for red white and blue day or other patriotic themed events at high school.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I don't think USAT is profiting off of us..//

Of course they are. They charge a very hefty "sponsor" fee of anyone that gets to make you your clothes. They have no risk, just get their money up front. Then that company has to try and figure out how to get not just the uniform money back, but the huge fee that had to pay for the privilege. In the end only USAT makes the big money, while the clothing company has to squeeze every dollar out of you to try and break even.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would happen if you just showed up in one of these:

http://www.kiwamitri.com/...an-nation-p/rion.htm

Would they tell you that you are not allowed to race?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
What would happen if you just showed up in one of these:

http://www.kiwamitri.com/...an-nation-p/rion.htm

Would they tell you that you are not allowed to race?

+1. I was just about to post this exact question with that same link.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've not seen anyone racing in anything but the TYR stuff and they(ITU) check your uniform as part of your entry into transition. They also state if you don't have the right uniform you'll be watching from the sidelines. Could you do it... sure, but I wouldn't advocate or suggest anyone doing that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I don't think USAT is profiting off of us..//

Of course they are. They charge a very hefty "sponsor" fee of anyone that gets to make you your clothes. They have no risk, just get their money up front. Then that company has to try and figure out how to get not just the uniform money back, but the huge fee that had to pay for the privilege. In the end only USAT makes the big money, while the clothing company has to squeeze every dollar out of you to try and break even.
By us... I was thinking large picture, Elites/development/AG TeamUSA. If the above is true, I'd not be inclined to want to be the clothing supplier for TeamUSA. I wonder if TeamUSA would be willing to create a poll for the uniform and overall satisfaction?
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
I've not seen anyone racing in anything but the TYR stuff and they(ITU) check your uniform as part of your entry into transition. They also state if you don't have the right uniform you'll be watching from the sidelines. Could you do it... sure, but I wouldn't advocate or suggest anyone doing that.

Is ITU looking for conformance to their rules (see here) or for conformance to they rules and that everyone from the same nation has the same exact uniform?
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is from the TeamUSA handbook for Chicago 2015: (emphasis added)

"ITU Uniform Rules
According to the ITU Rulebook, athletes must wear the approved team uniform. We cannot require athletes to purchase a new uniform. If you choose to wear an old Team USA uniform it is at your own risk. ITU has not enforced this rule at Age Group races in the past so you will see athletes wearing their old Team USA uniforms. Again, this is at the discretion of the athlete. Review the ITU documents HERE for details. All uniforms must sport the TYR brand."
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
xeon wrote:

Is ITU looking for conformance to their rules (see here) or for conformance to they rules and that everyone from the same nation has the same exact uniform?
I'm going to say probably neither to fullest extent... the book rules say a lot of stuff about logo placements and such in addition to the USAT TYR requirement. I've not had anyone break out any sort of measuring on my suit and the person at ITU didn't give my uniform more than a quick glance. Not even sure they saw the TYR logo... think I flashed the uniform and they sent me on into transition. I know the rule very clearly and wouldn't go against it.

I've noted other countries have a mix match of uniforms. Honestly I don't have a huge problem with it... we're amateurs competing for amateur titles on a World stage. Uniforms evolve, improve, etc. and the option should be there for people to buy new uniforms as they earn their way onto the team or wear uniforms from past years that remain in usable shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Age Grouper National Team Kit [tfleeger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tfleeger wrote:
this is from the TeamUSA handbook for Chicago 2015: (emphasis added)

"ITU Uniform Rules
According to the ITU Rulebook, athletes must wear the approved team uniform. We cannot require athletes to purchase a new uniform. If you choose to wear an old Team USA uniform it is at your own risk. ITU has not enforced this rule at Age Group races in the past so you will see athletes wearing their old Team USA uniforms. Again, this is at the discretion of the athlete. Review the ITU documents HERE for details. All uniforms must sport the TYR brand."

Hmmm... I think if they want to impose sponsor rules on the athletes like it's the Olympics and require they wear specific clothing of a specific brand and display a specific corporate logo then they need to provide it for free or at minimum a discount from retail. Otherwise I think the athlete should be able to buy the race kit of their choice.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Sep 24, 16 19:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Free" would be a huge departure from the current model(vendor fee/3rd party districubutor/etc.)... I'm fine paying for it.

I'm just not a huge fan of the quality of the kit. I don't wear my kit much due to it not being very comfortable and my seams are coming loose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we'd certainly be in the mix. we have some tested and proven ITU suit options...and we do have our own printing facility.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed.

Been on two teams, our kits are as most have described.

Not hear to gripe about that. The kits do appear to be getting better, though I cannot comment on CS and prices, as I have not been on a team since 2012. What would be nice is if team alums had the option get a tee or hat or something, to replace the old apparel. Have not had luck with that.

Chasing The Big Race In The Sky
@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply

Prev Next