Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring
Quote | Reply
If you haven't heard yet, there are many reports pointing to KC Chiefs RB retiring after his 3rd doctor visit in 2 weeks. He was hit by a SD Linebacker and was diagnosed with Mild Head Trauma. Now they're revealing that he has a buldge somewhere in or around his spine, and if he takes another hit he could face paralysis.

He was one of the greatest men in football, with a true passion for the game and helping people (read: not TO). He was an unerdog his entire life, and his entire career until 5 years ago when he went to KC. Since then he has been a hero for the short guys and those who havent reached their full potential at even the age of 27.

Priest has set a new record for total TDs and let one of the best offensive teams in football; its a shame that his career has to be ended on something he could not decide upon.
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [teege] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is too bad for sure. The guy was a class act...but at least he is having a better option than Derrick Thomas. The Chiefs have not had great luck with their premier stars this decade :-(. It would have been really nice to see the guy go out on top like Elway did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my FF team is fawked.

There goes my $20.

Sadder then that is a true professional that played the game the way it should be is not going out on his terms. Even with Roaf out, Holmes was a force. He will be missed (if this report is true)

-zakk

Death Squad Cycling Club
http://www.ridethedeath.com

"Why is that people will drop $2000 on race wheels and a few c-notes for an ugly tattoo and then balk at the race fee?" - Blackie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not cool. Seemed like an upstanding citizen (read: I never heard of him being arrested).

Not to worry if you're a KC fan, looks like Larry Johnson is the next coming of... well, Priest.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [KLinggi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brutal, he a TRUE pro not like some other JACK A$$ that is all over the head lines.

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks.

Priest Holmes is the guy you'll never read about in the papers because he is quiet, respectful, smart and incredibly hard working. Injuries have been part of his and every other "small" running back's carreer. I think he was injured (Knee ACL I think) his first year at Texas and almost forgotten, but after a medical redshirt year that he spent in the weight room he emerged 20-30 lbs heavier, faster and stronger. This added bulk helped with the injuries, but there was always a RB controversy back then. Priest never complained and just ran his heart out every carry making the most of whatever he was given. Slpitting time with Butch Hadnot and Ricky Williams took patience and self control. Ricky and Priest had it, Butch cratered and I think is a WWE wrestler now.

Ricky Williams, other than an addiction to hemp and some really bad advisors, is very similar to Priest and I wish both of them well. Did you know that Texas didn't have to use a scholarship for Ricky Williams? He played professional baseball in the summer for the Phillies and paid his and his sister's tuition and apartment on his own. Like Priest, most people don't know because he isn't in everyone's face flaunting it.

Professional sports is losing a real role model at a time when they are neither appreciated or applauded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume you are the one that is 27 and haven't reached your prime, because Priest is 32. Unless he played college football in 1991 for the University of Texas at 12!
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Priest was 27 when he began to show how great he was going to be.

I'm only 20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5068124

Don't drop him from your fantasy team yet...

By the way I have him on 2 of my teams...good thing I picked up grandmama in week one just in case.
Last edited by: NeedMoreEngine: Nov 9, 05 10:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"He was one of the greatest men in football"

Hyperbole?
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [elund] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"He was one of the greatest men in football"

Hyperbole?
Not at all. He truly has been one of the most upstanding characters in today's game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not at all. He truly has been one of the most upstanding characters in today's game.
Well, with a name like "Priest" ...
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [NeedMoreEngine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK. Go ahead and drop him now...
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [Hookem] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Clipped this from Rotoworld.com, just in case you wanted your bubble burst on another pro athlete

Priest Holmes reportedly shut down his season in part because of Dick Vermeil's difficult practices.
Vermeil is well known for running some of the longest practices in the league. One league source told ProFootballtalk that Holmes is "A pain in the ass. He is either hurt or bitching about his contract." The Kansas City Star's Jason Whitlock believes Holmes may only play again if the Chiefs go after his signing bonus. ProFootballtalk believes Holmes will only return if Vermeil doesn't. Nov. 10 - 1:56 pm et

-------------
"Knowledge is good" - Emil Faber
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [Strider124] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't doubt the hurt part, as he has been hurt most of his carreer. I can't say I would fault a guy for bitching about being hurt.

My wife bitches a lot and complains about her pay too, but she is still a great wife and the better mother to my children than their conduct deserves.

Priest is as quality a guy as there is out there playing today. Bertrand Berry is probably the only NFL player I know that is a better all around guy.
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [NeedMoreEngine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
By the way I have him on 2 of my teams...good thing I picked up grandmama in week one just in case.
Grandmama... good stuff. I didn't even make that connection. Now I'm picturing him in those commercials wearing the whole get-up... flower hat... dress... comedy.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: OT- Priest Holmes Likely Retiring [KLinggi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was a bit of a stretch. Larry Johnson and Larry Johnson. Great commercials.

Glad someone appreciated it.
Quote Reply