Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Quarq DZero [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah and with firmware updates to the Riken over time there really wasn't much to differentiate the Elsa besides the spider being slightly lighter and shorter crank arm options.

One strange spec is that the DFour version of the DZero shows that it will not be compatible with the next generation DA9100 chainrings. That doesn't seem like a great idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq DZero [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well...the 9000 and 9100 rings are not cross compatible to begin with so I wouldn't necessarily expect the Quarq dfour to accept both rings. Wondering if Quarq will stay away from the 9100 series crank being that Shimano is developing their own crank based power meter in the 9100-P.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oops. I missed that non-compatibility info from the Shimano, but it doesn't surprise me with their groupset product development processes.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq DZero [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
Yeah and with firmware updates to the Riken over time there really wasn't much to differentiate the Elsa besides the spider being slightly lighter and shorter crank arm options.

One strange spec is that the DFour version of the DZero shows that it will not be compatible with the next generation DA9100 chainrings. That doesn't seem like a great idea.

But it is compatible with 9000? I am assuming that will replace the Elsa? Not too surprised they are not going to support 9100, (a) it seems to not exist at the moment, (2) rumors are suggesting the new Shimano PM will be priced fairly high and Quarq might as well just leave the Shimano users with one less option and reason to use 9100.

Pricing seems very good at roughly 1k, probably will see them online soon for 850-900, so pretty good deal overall. P2M's new NG power meter is priced similarly, but you do not have the same ease of customer support you get from Quarq. The market seems to be pretty full at the moment and any crank based PM over 1k is going to be hard to justify.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq DZero [Ron_Burgundy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got mine as an RMA replacement for my 975. They told me it was on back order until Oct 17th, but since most of their orders were bulk (for shops and online stores) and my order was just one, they could sneak it in.

Nice to be able to connect to it using my iphone using bluetooth rather than trying to get a ANT adapter. Might actually start giving zwift a try too once the ipad app comes out since my laptop is a little old and doesn't have a good enough graphics card. But all in all...just seems like a functioning crank based power meter after one ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not replying to any post directly, just using this is a spot to share some weights since I couldn't find that information anywhere. I had some time on my hands after being frozen into the house for a few days. All cranks are 30 mm spindles and 175 mm length (not that crank length impacts weight of cranks).

The Quarq Prime carbon fiber crankset weighed within 4 grams of my Force 1, so I'm fairly sure the Quarq is just an 8 bolt version of the Force.

The Quarq prime aluminum crankset weighed 200 grams more than the carbon fiber one. Ouch. It's a re-branded Rival with the updated 8 bolt power-ready design.

I weighed them without any spaces, bolts or spiders just to get comparisons vs. absolute weights.

Several sites list the Quarq and the Red Prime / Power-ready cranksets as the same weight. There's some stuff about "Exogram" carbon fiber being used on the Red vs. the Quarq, but Exogram always referred to the hollow, one piece crank arm and spider design, not the type of carbon fiber. Even the ST article says they are different, but I don't think that's correct.

Boring pictures of my food scale here.
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq DZero [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Not replying to any post directly, just using this is a spot to share some weights since I couldn't find that information anywhere. I had some time on my hands after being frozen into the house for a few days. All cranks are 30 mm spindles and 175 mm length (not that crank length impacts weight of cranks).

The Quarq Prime carbon fiber crankset weighed within 4 grams of my Force 1, so I'm fairly sure the Quarq is just an 8 bolt version of the Force.

The Quarq prime aluminum crankset weighed 200 grams more than the carbon fiber one. Ouch. It's a re-branded Rival with the updated 8 bolt power-ready design.

I weighed them without any spaces, bolts or spiders just to get comparisons vs. absolute weights.

Several sites list the Quarq and the Red Prime / Power-ready cranksets as the same weight. There's some stuff about "Exogram" carbon fiber being used on the Red vs. the Quarq, but Exogram always referred to the hollow, one piece crank arm and spider design, not the type of carbon fiber. Even the ST article says they are different, but I don't think that's correct.

Boring pictures of my food scale here.

i wouldn't get too wound up in this just now. wait a couple of days.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq DZero [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not wound up. Just trying to provide some insight as I couldn't find anything definitive and some resources contradict each other. Mostly surprised how much the aluminum ones weigh. Also surprised to see what the Quarq branded carbon fiber cranks were selling for on the secondary market vs. the power ready Red branded cranks when I'm pretty sure the only difference is paint.

Looking forward to seeing what you share in a couple of days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate you sharing, looking forward to more details coming out.

Go where you feel most alive. |TriHub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
[I wouldn't get too wound up in this just now. wait a couple of days.

Ah, now I see.

Last edited by: dangle: Feb 6, 19 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you'll read an overview of this on slowtwitch within the hour. the first AXS article is up now on the front page. i'll have probably 5, maybe 6 articles on all of this by the time i'm done, all today and tomorrow, including Quarq.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
you'll read an overview of this on slowtwitch within the hour. the first AXS article is up now on the front page. i'll have probably 5, maybe 6 articles on all of this by the time i'm done, all today and tomorrow, including Quarq.

That Red crankset with the aero chainrings looks really nice, but I assume it is not available in short crank versions?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq DZero [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Slowman wrote:

That Red crankset with the aero chainrings looks really nice, but I assume it is not available in short crank versions?

exactly.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is it true that you have to replace the powermeter when the chainrings wear? Interesting concept...
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq DZero [motd2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motd2k wrote:
Is it true that you have to replace the powermeter when the chainrings wear? Interesting concept...

if you read my article on the front page on this new PM this and other interesting questions are answered.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
motd2k wrote:

if you read my article on the front page on this new PM this and other interesting questions are answered.

Is the new Force AXS stuff the same 8 bolt pattern as the Quarq DZero stuff?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Slowman wrote:
motd2k wrote:

Is the new Force AXS stuff the same 8 bolt pattern as the Quarq DZero stuff?

yes.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Quarq DZero [motd2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motd2k wrote:

Not an interesting concept. Stupid concept. I switch out my chainrings depending on terrain. No way would I want to be forced to buy an extra PM just for that privilege.
Quote Reply

Prev Next