Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cancer recovery
Quote | Reply

Sorry about the downer subject but I need guidance from someone who's been there. I've been diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma and just finished my last chemo treatment last week. Radiation begins in a month if everything goes on schedule. Today I went with a friend to do a bike ride and really pooped out after only 14 miles. I know I need to take it easy and let my body adjust/recover. The fitness I've developed over the last few years has really helped me deal with this illness in a way I'm sure I wouldn't be able to if I were still a couch potato. Now I haven't done any exercise in 4wks before today. Mentally, I can hardly stand sitting in the house and physically, I'm struggling if I do try to exercise

My question for anyone who has been through this or has knowledge is how soon are you able to exercise after chemo? I certainly don't expect to jump back into exercising full bore but anyone with experience/guidelines/thoughts, I'd appreciate any insight.

By the way, my prognosis is excellent. I've got a stage IA and my oncologist expects me to make a full recovery, as do I.
Quote Reply
Re: cancer recovery [studley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your most likely know this already.

Being that you are younger than most and maybe healthier than the average , you caught it early . Some of the newer drugs help boost your white cell blood count ,giving you more energy .

I think 14 mile is very good for fresh out of treatment , I would take it slow , maybe long walks with a lot places to rest / people around at first .

Radiation is much easier than any chemo , less fatiguing , quick .

I wish you the best , its great to hear your recovery is good.

My father past away ,from an extreme case of Mesothelioma ( asbestos lung cancer ) about three years ago.

Just as a tip for others, if an older person has a stage 4 or 5 cancer diagnosis its better to just reduce or forget the chemo , just do some pain meds. .As the out come is of little difference , without chemo being better quality of life ,for the time remaining.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I've been diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma and just finished my last chemo treatment last week....My question for anyone who has been through this or has knowledge is how soon are you able to exercise after chemo?

First off, I'm sorry to hear about your bout with cancer. It's a bitch, in ways that people who haven't seen it first hand cannot begin to imagine.

Secondly, a good attitude is very important, IMO, to winning this battle. The fact that you are asking this question amazes me, and indicates that perhaps you are little crazy (albeit in a good way), but you probably also have the proper attitude. Looks like cancer picked the wrong person. It's going down.

Sorry I can't answer your question directly, but I thought you deserved a little cheerleading.

Good luck. (yeah, I know it's not really about luck)

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Studley,

I'm glad to hear your prognosis is good. I still wish you the best of luck. My gut inclination is that you should do what you can when you can as far as exercise. It might be unpredictable. If you wanted to exercise on a treadmill or trainer that would seem to be ideal because stopping is no big deal. If you wanted to free yourself from the confines of home or the gym and hit the roads, I would make sure that I had a bail out (cell-phone, friend, or even just a place like a coffee shop that I could rest at). I think that I would also concentrate on short loop routes so that if I had to stop I could. Good luck my friend.

Bernie

Quote | Reply
Hi,

Hang in there buddy, the gains will come and the worst is over.

I had testicular cancer, and then 3 recurrences with the cancer coming back in different parts of my body. It would take me a few months to recover after chemo. Slow and steady. Nothing you will ever face again will be as ominous, and knowing that and putting every day petty stresses into perspective is a gift.

Tom
Quote Reply