Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bone marrow Edema in sitting bone/High Hamstring tendinopathy
Quote | Reply
I've seen other forums for high hamstring tendinopathy but they were rather old so I thought I'd start another one. About 2.5 months ago after a run I experienced a sharp pain deep in my high hamstring--basically at the insertion point where the hamstring meets the glute. I thought it was a strained hamstring. Walking and jogging actually felt ok--only a slight pull/ache--but when I try to speed walk or run fast--then it kills. I'm also in agony to bend down and touch my toes, and doing Yoga poses--like pulling my knee to my nose in downdog is also agony.
I stopped running and Yoga and just swam for a full month. It got a little better and returned to running for about a week-but it started to ache again so I stopped. I went to my sports med doc and he ordered an MRI--and I have a bone marrow edema in my ischial tuberosity (sitting bone)--which is basically a stress reaction in the sitting bone as well as a thickened hamstring tendon.
My doc said I could walk gently and swim if it didn't aggravate it--and that's all I've been doing. But it's not getting better. I've only been going on really gentle, slow walks and everyday I wake up to this pain.
I've honestly never been this depressed in my entire life. I feel like this pain is never going to get better and I"m just going to have it forever. It also feels like I"ll never run again or do yoga--and those two things bring me so much joy.
I"m just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this? And how long your recovery was? It's been 2.5 months already and it feels exactly the same as it did when I first got it. It just feels like it's never going to heal.
I've looked into PRP injections and was wondering if any of you had any luck with those treatments. I tried a bit of PT as well and that actually just made it worse--because any kind of strengthening moves just made it worse.
Thanks for listening.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone marrow Edema in sitting bone/High Hamstring tendinopathy [Yleve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find a different PT. My PT is a triathlete and he helped me with the same issue. Also a chiropractor who does active release therapy may help if you are not shy about someone working that area! It sounds like my case was not as severe as yours however.
Quote Reply
Re: Bone marrow Edema in sitting bone/High Hamstring tendinopathy [Yleve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son has the exact same injury. How are you now and what did you do. Thanks!![
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran into this exact same injury. I ended up costing me an entire season plus the rest of the off season.

It's really awful because it takes a long time to completely heal. But for me it took about 3 months before I could start cycling or running again and about 1.5 years before I had to be careful about how i ran up hills or pulled up during my pedal stroke. In those 1.5 years I did return to racing but I didn't run up any hills and my mileage was decreased. I also had to adjust the fit on my bike to relieve stress on my hamstring.

The key thing here is that it does heal. Find a good PT who understands HHT. It's a very difficult beast to deferentially diagnose and carefully treat. I was fortunate to live in a town that had a PT that was an expert in pelvic health and was doing a study on HHT. You have to be careful that the treatment isn't continuing to exacerbate the injury. The simple rule my PT gave me was that if you can feel that twinge STOP because you're turning back the clock on healing.

A couple of things that I can pass along that helped...

1. Stop stretching your hamstring. It's not helping and it's probably making it worse. This is tricky because it feels like it's what you need to do
2. Massage your hamstring, but don't beat up the patient and grind it into hamburger. The goal is to increase bloodflow
3. Golfers lifts was the constant exercise she had me doing. To this day, I still pick things up off the ground while doing a golfers life.
4. Be patient and understand it's a slow healing injury. You want the healing progression to be as linear as possible, but you're going to have setbacks. I had so many times where I felt like I was better, did too much, then had to wait again for a few weeks.

Regarding PRP therapy - I went to two different sports medicine docs. Both said that the success rates of PRP are low, it's expensive, and insurance doesn't cover it. You hear a lot about it because, aside from the risk of injection in/near a tendon/nerve. It doesn't have much risk. So if you're trying any/everything it's an option. My injury was about 2 years ago and I have not kept up on the research. At the time there wasn't a whole lot of science suggesting PRP therapy actually did much.
Quote Reply