Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? June 20 Edition
Quote | Reply
How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 20 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week: 14 weeks to go.
- Run 4x with longest at 20k - FAIL - I did get in 4 runs but the longest was 16.5k, I overdid it with riding & dryland and my legs were just cooked. :-(
- Ride 1x optional - DONE
- Dryland 1x - DONE
- Inline 1x - DONE

This week: 13 weeks to go. I've decided I'm doing it (ie: actaully booking the flights) even if the run is a dawdle.
- Run 5x
- Dryland 1x
- Inline 1x

No excuses - need to just focus on the goal and not get distracted. :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was awesome! Several breakthrough workouts.

Did a 10k training run Sunday in the sweltering CA heatwave. WOW. I had forgotten just how hot that asphalt can be with all that heat radiating upward. Fortunately, no issues from the heat. It looks like I'll be training at dark o'clock all week with the temps at 100+.

In other news, I found my favorite jeans online on clearance and got 2 pairs for what I normally pay for one. I never buy clothes online, but was getting desperate for new jeans. Best week.

Rock on.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Thanks for getting us started tigerchik!

I didn't do much this week since I was traveling and tapering for my first 70.3 -- just a few short and easy workouts in the beautiful Upstate New York countryside as well as lots of p/rehab and body care in an attempt to mitigate the achy tightness I've been experiencing for the past two weeks. The race was a great experience, a lot of fun, and I learned a ton. Most importantly, my IronDad was there to support me and that was pretty darn cool way for us to celebrate Father's Day :)

I finished 10th in my division and am proud of my performance despite not finishing anywhere close to my anticipated time. It was crazy hot (90F+ and I was in the last wave of the day!) and a much more challenging course than I expected. Somehow the course maps don't quite do it justice -- in the main forum, there is another thread on the race if you want more details on the weather/course.

Here's a short recap -- I am exceptionally proud of my swim. I've only been swimming for eight months and my goal was to be in the top half of swimmers but I finished 19th in my division! It was not the straightest swim since I tried to avoid the crush of people by swimming on the outside and I'm squiggly but I will work on staying on course and sighting as I get more comfortable in the water. Once on land, everything went slower than I'd anticipated. In T1, the transition area was big and the run from the swim exit was longer than I realized -- I did get to experienced my first crazy wetsuit peel and that was pretty exciting! The bike course is absolutely beautiful and I had a decent bike despite a mechanical issue, a lost and then retrieved water bottle, and my first penalty (agh!) With the additional 5:00 minutes, I finished 10th fastest on the bike and I made a new friend in the penalty box -- she and I were penalized for not clearing each other's draft zones. My T2 was pretty standard but I had to run back to my spot after realizing my spare tube and cartridges were still in my kit which was a silly mistake and cost me time. The run, supposedly my strength, was the toughest part for me and based on the results it looks like almost everyone struggled here. It was a double loop out and back course so my goal was to start easy and then run the second loop faster than the first. Wishful thinking! I ran the first loop nice and easy and then completely blew up at mile 8. KABOOM! A combination of the heat, the hills, and the humidity served me a piping hot slice of humble pie and I finished my 13.1 with an average pace 2:00/mile slower than my brick training pace, somehow the 10th fastest walk/shuffle in my division. When I entered the cute, I saw both my Dad and my training partner there to cheer me across the finish line and that was my favorite part of the race. The race crew was great, the course was beautiful, and the volunteers were amazing -- it was brutally hot but there were smiling and cheering while handing out ice, sponges, water to hundreds of tired racers.

So, we live and learn! I'm already looking forward to my next 70.3.

I hope everyone has a great week.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 20 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eyes on the prize!

Quote:
Goals this week:
15 hrs of dissertation work (did 3 yesterday) I did 11.75. Did not get any work done on father's day (which was fine - but I had thought I might get a few hours), but am making progress.
run faster than last year at a 5k this Saturday done! I was 3rd FOV in 20:50, averaging 6:43s (last year 6:49s). I got $25, so I recouped my entry fee. :)
bike 4x (2 done) hahaha! done! two indoors getting my girlie magazine fix, one 31 mile outdoor (and took that day off from running), and one shorter outdoor.
swim 2-3x only one but that's ok
install speedometer on bike! completely forgot to do this

I got to hang out with a cousin and aunt on Sunday in addition to my family, which was a lot of fun. I also went mini golfing, had a failed attempt at making chocolate pudding from scratch (this was fixed yesterday by just buying an instant mix to kill the pudding craving), and got a bunch of work done for the summer camp I direct (it's only 3 weeks, starting at the end of July).

Goals for this week: at least one day off from running; get speedometer on bike; bike 3x (one done), swim 3x (one done)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 20 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! How are you feeling a couple days out?

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 20 Edition [SoCalTricurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks tigerchick and edbikebabe!
Other than the same right side achy tightness I've had for the past two weeks, I feel great. I'm planning to take it easy this week and then get back to training.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was pretty meh. Knee pain is back with a bang. It doesn't hurt excessively when I run but afterwards and at night it is really bad. I think I will have to return to physio. So the running didn't really happen, because of knee pain I didn't make it to the club ride and because I was lazy I didn't really go swimming either.

This week isn't really going much better so far. :-(

On the bright side, our Dutch houseguests brought us lots of lovely looking cheese and some rather delicious stroopwafel cookies and things. Om nom nom.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 20 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer about the knee and the generally "meh" week. Here's hoping it improves.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 20 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'm hoping so too. Hope your week is going well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My week is going...

Should know this afternoon if the sale of our house is a go. If it is, we can get on removing our conditions for the new place & thinking about packing. If not - I guess it's back to showings. :( *edit* - buyer backed out, we already have more showings booked for tonight.

Got some really shitty news about a friend's husband last night. They live in Pittsburg (too far away for me to do anything concrete/helpful) and my heart is sad. I wish I could fly out & be there for a few days...

On the upside - I've been sleeping better the last few nights and sleep is always good.
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Jun 23, 16 11:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get well soon Scheherazade!

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? June 20 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And is there good news on the real estate front?!

Sorry to hear about your friend and her husband. Is there something you could arrange through the magic of the internet - whether a meal or a house cleaning service for a day or something like that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No good news. Deal fell through. Best case scenario now has us moving (IF we move) either right when I'm due or with a newborn. Neither option seems that great.

I think I will try to save a little money & maybe go visit my friend in a few months. They were working on moving back to Canada (waiting on jobs) so who knows what will happen.
Quote Reply