Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead [Grill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A recent magazine article found it to be very fast in a low head position but super slow with head up. Guess it goes to show how important the relationship with position was. What's yours like?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I had the normal version, it was hot and tested significantly slower than the p09. It felt very claustrophobic as well. Back on eBay it went.

I tested it only a couple of times in cool weather (upto 16°C = 61°F) , so can not tell if the helmet is hot to me. Did you have a white or a black version?

I feel very comfortable with the helmet, very spacy and it is better to me than my old Giro Advantage with sunglasses. As a matter of fact, I had a headache during my last IM I think because of the arms of the sunglasses between the helmet and head. So at least that problem is solved.

The only problem I had upto now with the Aerohead was the lost contact lens. But that's not a killer for me, I still have the other eye and even if they fall both out I can still race, having only +2 on both eyes.

Lost my left contact lens yesterday again, closed the left hole in the visor now with tape, see if that helps.
Grinded 5 mm of the bottom of the visor, because it was resting on my cheekbones.
Always something to tinker...

Small update:
Rode the Aerohead (standard version) in Kona and it was great, did not notice the helmet: no problems with heat or fogging. No issues with my contactlenses either.

Thinking of Kona 2018 I am thinking of new Air Attack and Bontrager's aero road. I have a Aerohead. Which would you run?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
longtrousers wrote:
hutchy_belfast wrote:
I had the normal version, it was hot and tested significantly slower than the p09. It felt very claustrophobic as well. Back on eBay it went.

I tested it only a couple of times in cool weather (upto 16°C = 61°F) , so can not tell if the helmet is hot to me. Did you have a white or a black version?

I feel very comfortable with the helmet, very spacy and it is better to me than my old Giro Advantage with sunglasses. As a matter of fact, I had a headache during my last IM I think because of the arms of the sunglasses between the helmet and head. So at least that problem is solved.

The only problem I had upto now with the Aerohead was the lost contact lens. But that's not a killer for me, I still have the other eye and even if they fall both out I can still race, having only +2 on both eyes.

Lost my left contact lens yesterday again, closed the left hole in the visor now with tape, see if that helps.
Grinded 5 mm of the bottom of the visor, because it was resting on my cheekbones.
Always something to tinker...

Small update:
Rode the Aerohead (standard version) in Kona and it was great, did not notice the helmet: no problems with heat or fogging. No issues with my contactlenses either.

Thinking of Kona 2018 I am thinking of new Air Attack and Bontrager's aero road. I have a Aerohead. Which would you run?

I do not have experience with the new Air Attack and Bontrager's aero road. Also, it seems that different people have different experiences with the Aerohead. So I guess you have to try it out yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if you can purchase the Aerohead case that comes with the high end one?

Looking for something to be able to carry mine in.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you can. Many have bought them including myself.

You need to call Giro to buy one. They are often on back order but they will tell you when a shipment is coming in and when to call back. The case is around 60 bucks.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tested it 3 times in 3 different positions. Slow as balls in all of them (including pursuit which is pretty head down).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics of position?

Grill wrote:
Tested it 3 times in 3 different positions. Slow as balls in all of them (including pursuit which is pretty head down).
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:
Pics of position?

Grill wrote:
x2, considering the hype around this helmet i was contemplating upgrading (?) form an sworks TT, but not sure if its just a sideways move without testing,
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure about more aero but I find it much more comfortable and cooler than S works TT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore mine once in a 40 k this summer. It fogged up the whole time and I wound up having a slower ride than normal. Went right back to my LG PO9.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [mcgong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcgong wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Small update:

Do you have a photo of the visor ground down? Thanks

I‘m afraid you can‘t see a lot (but it should look like that of course) but I removed at least 5 mm from the bottom edge. As I already said, with a table grinder such that I could hold the visor in both hands.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
EnderWiggan wrote:
Pics of position?

Grill wrote:

x2, considering the hype around this helmet i was contemplating upgrading (?) form an sworks TT, but not sure if its just a sideways move without testing,

There was a testing session with 2 pro tour riders a couple of weeks ago. Both were faster with the sworks than the Giro. One marginally, one more significantly
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had fogging issues with my catlike helmet so I started putting baby shampoo on it the night before the race then riding it off. Works like a charm and WAY cheaper than the other defogger that can be bought.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 years rising the Split in British weather and it has never fogged up, not even a bit. Think I would cry if I ever found a faster helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
mcgong wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Small update:

I‘m afraid you can‘t see a lot (but it should look like that of course) but I removed at least 5 mm from the bottom edge. As I already said, with a table grinder such that I could hold the visor in both hands.

That looks great! Thanks for the taking the time to share this. I'm going to give it a try this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome - thanks for the tip. Will call them up tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have experience with using a thinner padding in the Aerohead? The medium fits great without padding for me, but a bit tight with it in. I have a Giro A2 and a Giro road helmet both in medium.

Called Giro to ask about a thinner padding and they are checking for me, but wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and found a good solution.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead [JDinMA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just take he padding out. That said, the padding will flatten out with use, maybe take it out and put it under a book with a weight on top.

JDinMA wrote:
Anyone have experience with
using a thinner padding in the Aerohead? The medium fits great without padding for me, but a bit tight with it in. I have a Giro A2 and a Giro road helmet both in medium.

Called Giro to ask about a thinner padding and they are checking for me, but wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and found a good solution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
longtrousers wrote:
mcgong wrote:
longtrousers wrote:

Small update:

I had to buy a new visor because the old one broke (not because I worked on it, but during transport).

The first thing I expected to do was grinding off the bottom edge again. But firstly I tried it on and the strange thing was that it did not touch my cheek.

Comparing the old visor with the new one reveiled: Giro has done its homework. They removed nearly a centimeter from the bottom. So no grinding no more.
Quote Reply

Prev Next