Others that were good and deserve mention:

2) All Quiet on the Western Front

3) Longest Day

4) Battle of Britain

5) Zulu
Quote Reply
Re: Top Five "War" Movies [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody mentioned "Heartbreak Ridge"? Does that classify as a war movie, or just a military movie?

Band of Brothers was phenomenal. I'm asking for the DVD collection for Christmas.

As a weight-training forum I used to go to, one of the regular's there was the grandson of one of the regular characters (one of the interviewees also) on that show. We talked about it quite a bit. I can't decide what was better, the show or the interviews.

Can you imagine THAT war with TODAY's media?

Saving Private Ryan is my fav. All the guys that "talk a big game" about how they would "kick ass" is they were ever drafted (yeah, of course, they're not enlisted) should really soak that movie in. The part at the end where he asks his wife if he is a "good man" breaks me.

John Wayne movies? Isn't that like mentioning Rambo?

Really, when it comes to war stuff, I'd much rather watch documentaries, instead of fictional story lines. with war, there's just not much need for fictional story lines.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Top Five "War" Movies [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear that the seriies "over there" is the most intense thing on TV right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Five "War" Movies [reblAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I hear that the seriies "over there" is the most intense thing on TV right now. "

I enjoyed it the first few times but it starts to get boring after a few episodes. TV series about war aren't as successful as war movies. Most have never lasted more than a season or two. MASH was an exception, but that was a little different.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Five "War" Movies [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How can you have a top 5 war movies and not have at least 1 entry with John Wayne?
Oh, I should quote Repo Man right now - but i'd probably offend somebody.

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country" JFK - Replace 'country' with the company you work for, friends, family, and strangers and the world will be a much better place.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Five "War" Movies [diamonddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Fog of War - Eleven Lessons From the Life of Robert S. McNamara (2003)
2) Doctor Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
3) All Quiet On The Western Front (1930)
4) Apocalypse Now (1979)
5) The Manchurian Candidate (1962)

Team America: World Police (2004) gets an honorable mention. Few better ways to expose the insanity of war than with defecating marionettes.
Last edited by: adamb: Nov 5, 05 0:12
Quote Reply
Re: Top Five "War" Movies [diamonddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not easily offended.

Do not remember the quote(has been quite a few years since i last saw "Repo Man".)

Post away.
Quote Reply
Re: Top Five "War" Movies [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coming from a history teacher whose absolute favorite all time "history" book is the "Killer Angels," Gettysburg might be one of the WORST movies I have ever forced myself to sit through. The makeup is god awful, the acting oh so serious, and let's not forget this was produced partly by Ted Turner, that noted civil war historian. nuff said.

off the top of my head
1. Glory - much better civil war movie despite having ferris bueller
2. Paths of Glory (Pathways? - with Kirk Douglas - great flick, very anti-war message)
3. The Great Escape - just because of the "cooler King" Steve McQeen might be the coolest guy ever. "The Tao of Steve" explains this.
4. Patton - Old school war movie. Great shit.
5. The Longest Day. Always a personal favorite. Despite my liking John Wayne as an actor, I was once told he managed to bring back his "long Lost" wife and child during WWII, thus keeping him from serving. Don't know if this is true, but it makes me think.

One Honorable mention - Dr. Strangelove - Slim Pickens riding that missile is one of the iconic images in American cinema. A damn funny movie to boot. "Gentleman, you can't fight here, this is the WAR ROOM!" ah, Peter Sellars was a true genius in this movie
Quote Reply

Prev Next