Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone?
Quote | Reply
Hey all, something weird has happened. Over the course of a week I’ve become unable to run on a treadmill. I have run on treadmills since the 1990’s with never an issue. Wide ones, narrow ones, cheap & rickety ones. Drinking from a water bottle while doing 6:00 pace intervals was second nature. Now I feel like I’m “running on ice” and about to fall off when going < 12:00 per mile pace. As if I’m stepping foot on a treadmill for the first time. Something’s seriously not right!

A few weeks ago I was doing some treadmill intervals no different than I have done the past 20 years. And when I pushed the pace I felt unstable so I chalked it up to being tired. Few days later I started a moderately-hard tempo run; first few miles were fine but then this unsteadiness came back and I had to stop. It’s gotten somewhat worse, as even running slow gives me the same feeling. Almost like I’m going to trip over my own feet and have to hold on to the bar. It really sucks.

Mind you, running outside I am totally fine. No issues at all. However, I would love to be able to figure this out so I can still run inside from time to time.

I haven’t had any head trauma, no bike crashes, no change in diet, no alcohol binges, no hard drugs.....nothing. I wanted to run this by you pros before I consult a doctor who will most likely have no idea what is going on.

Here’s my only thoughts after dwelling on it for the past couple of weeks (it has really been mentally traumatizing not being able to do something that has always been second nature to me). I’m wondering if it’s due to some tiring track workouts I did recently. Maybe my lower legs are tired and causing me to become unstable. But at the same time I think a large part of it may be mental as I am having these unreasonable fears that I am going to lose balance. Does that make sense? That is all I can come up with, but it seems farfetched as I have overtrained, done hard workouts, been tired as hell, but have NEVER had an issue running easy mileage on a treadmill.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a similar experience several times over the years that seemed to be related to a short term inner ear disturbance. It influenced my balance just enough to be a huge problem on the treadmill but not a significant problem running outdoors where ultra fine control isn't so important. I have also experienced more significant benign paroxysmal positional vertigo that prevented running even outdoors. It was resolved by carrying out the Epley maneuver.

Good luck, Losing confidence in your balance is really disconcerting and down right scary when running.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this all treadmills, or always on the same one? What you're describing sounds like the feeling when the belt is loose and it sticks for a moment when your foot strikes.

If it's all treadmills, you may want to consider visiting your PCP to check your ears.

USAT Lvl1 Coach, NSCA-CPT, NASM-CPT, BS Exercise Science
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I have been running on TMs for at least 20 years. I have to stay very alert and stare straight at the console when running on one. The higher the speed, the more careful I have to be. No problems outside.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how stable/unstable you are through your hips/glutes/core area, but that may have something to do with it. Personally, I have always had to be diligent about core stability or my right hip will hike and I'll progressively move towards ITB inflammation on the right side and weakness on the left side. A few years ago, I noticed I started to feel sloppy on the treadmill during a period of 3-6 months where I wasn't really performing the stability exercises I needed to - almost in the exact manner in which you describe. I had always been able to do 10-12mph "speedwork" and drink from a water bottle and have no issues, but suddenly I was literally kicking one leg with the other every few strides and feeling sloppy. I went to the Dr and everything checked out there. I got back to being more diligent about stability exercises on a daily basis (bridges/monster walks/etc) and I have had no problems since. Being in an office job unfortunately makes the problem worse if I don't stay on top of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [TriMyBest] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good question. I initially thought it was a loose belt - that's EXACTLY what it feels like. But I have tried different treadmills in different cities (LA and San Fran) and it is the same result. In fact, I am in Manchester, England right now and had the same issue in a gym here.
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I've never been one to focus on stability exercises. Maybe I'll revisit those now. I can't begin to describe how disconcerting and depressing this has been, especially coming out of the blue. I'm on holiday now and hoping it is providing a forced "recovery" in case this is an overtraining symptom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you checked your balance in other ways.

Can you close your eyes and remain balanced on one or two legs (right and left).
Can you look up and maintain walking or running direction.
Can you balance yoga style.

Have you changed what or where you look at on the treadmill or added distractions like music.
My wife has Menieres, which is progressive and to some extent age related and can cause all kinds of fun.

You appear to travel a fair bit, air travel can do interesting things to the inner ear.
Her hearing was damaged by flying. She was a FA for over thirty years.
Flying with a cold can do lots of damage.

Good luck with that.
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interestingly my balance off the treadmill is fine. First trip in years and first trip overseas ever and I am mid 40s so I doubt it is travel. I manage a trip every 4-6 years so I wouldn't really describe myself as a traveler although a trip every 4 or so years is more travel than most folks I know so maybe it IS excessive?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No it's not the travel (unless you're travelling this time with a cold and ps Manchester would make me dizzy anyway) She did about 12 million miles, so more affected.

Get your hearing tested lately?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those tiring track workouts you mentioned. Did you take yourself to near failure-mode, struggling, maybe even altering your stride in an attempt to hold pace to make just one or two more reps?
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: the track workouts. They were the first ones of the season after building some base + tempo runs. I took them conservatively (adding :30 to my pace from last season) and they didn't feel excessively tiring, which is a bummer in itself.

Re: the hearing test. Haven't had one recently but will request it during my upcoming physical, for sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
10-30 years ago I would watch 4 different tv's while running, now I stare at the the console and hold the side bar if glancing up at the tv. I'm 55, so i don't think age has anything to do with it. :0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you been able to resolve the problem? I’m currently dealing with the same issue. It’s discouraging and frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you a frequent flyer? Ie for work for example?
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [Hildmb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hildmb wrote:
Have you been able to resolve the problem? I’m currently dealing with the same issue. It’s discouraging and frustrating.
After two solid years of doctor visits, tests and re-evaluating my training, yes, I'm back to running on the treadmill with no issues.

I did the ear testing; no issues there. My air travel dropped to almost nothing in 2017 but the unsteadiness remained. My doctor tested me for neurological and balance issues, but everything was normal. At that point, I stopped all running for about 4 months (kept swimming & cycling) and starting in early 2018, I slowly got back into running (outdoors only) < 20 mpw. I also started to focus on my core, stabilization muscles and glutes by using a "functional strength video" I found. Those exercises kicked my ass (literally) and I think I had been neglecting the importance of doing them. I also started to spend MUCH more time after my run cooling down (walking, stretching, foam rolling). Last Spring I was back on the treadmill at my gym; mostly walking, and doing short, easy intervals (200s/400s) just to get used to it - I was still mentally wigged out by that thing. I could tell that my gait felt a lot more "solid" (not sure how else to describe it). Over last Spring/Summer/Fall I slowly increased my time on the treadmill, but keeping it almost all easy. It was depressing that I couldn't keep my old paces, but at least I wasn't worried about falling off the treadmill. Finally, this Nov, I started doing sprints and tempo runs on the treadmill with great success. I'm telling you, a couple years ago I was nervous jogging at an 11:00 pace. I can't say my paces are where they were, but I'm being patient and slowly building back my speed. Needless to say, I'm very happy about my running lately, but this has been a long road.

Long-story-short, I trained myself into a hole by ignoring warm-ups, warm-downs and foam rolling; and also ignoring functional strength. YMMV but this solidly solved the problem for me. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for getting back to me. This has been an issue since August 2017.. and it literally happened over night. I’ve been to the dr, physical therapists orthopedic drs just trying to figure out what’s going on and have no answers. It’s hard to explain and no one understands that it only happens on the treadmill. The gym I go to (Orange Theory Fitness) is half the class is spent on the treadmill the other half of the time is rowing/core, weights, trx. I have anxiety when it’s time for the treadmill part because Im not able to run and have to hold on even to power walk. Before this happened I was usually one of the fastest female runners in class.. it’s very discouraging. I joined yoga to help with balance and stretching.. maybe for a while I’ll ride the bike and avoid the tread all together. I feel better knowing that this is a thing and I’m not going crazy, lol. Thank you for all the info!
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [Hildmb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I felt like I suddenly had a phobia of the treadmill when before, it was no big deal to look around the room, drink from my water bottle, etc. without feeling like I was going to lose my balance and fall off. Unless you've tried this approach, I'd definitely look into plyometric exercises like jump squats, jumping lunges, mountain climbers, burpees...anything to strengthen your hip flexors/glutes/hamstrings/calves, and also fine tune the smaller muscles that keep you balanced with a solid gait. I think during years of running I had been overtaxing the wrong muscles and ignoring (i.e. weakening) the proper muscles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
Hey all, something weird has happened. Over the course of a week I’ve become unable to run on a treadmill. I have run on treadmills since the 1990’s with never an issue. Wide ones, narrow ones, cheap & rickety ones. Drinking from a water bottle while doing 6:00 pace intervals was second nature. Now I feel like I’m “running on ice” and about to fall off when going < 12:00 per mile pace. As if I’m stepping foot on a treadmill for the first time. Something’s seriously not right!

A few weeks ago I was doing some treadmill intervals no different than I have done the past 20 years. And when I pushed the pace I felt unstable so I chalked it up to being tired. Few days later I started a moderately-hard tempo run; first few miles were fine but then this unsteadiness came back and I had to stop. It’s gotten somewhat worse, as even running slow gives me the same feeling. Almost like I’m going to trip over my own feet and have to hold on to the bar. It really sucks.

Mind you, running outside I am totally fine. No issues at all. However, I would love to be able to figure this out so I can still run inside from time to time.

I haven’t had any head trauma, no bike crashes, no change in diet, no alcohol binges, no hard drugs.....nothing. I wanted to run this by you pros before I consult a doctor who will most likely have no idea what is going on.

Here’s my only thoughts after dwelling on it for the past couple of weeks (it has really been mentally traumatizing not being able to do something that has always been second nature to me). I’m wondering if it’s due to some tiring track workouts I did recently. Maybe my lower legs are tired and causing me to become unstable. But at the same time I think a large part of it may be mental as I am having these unreasonable fears that I am going to lose balance. Does that make sense? That is all I can come up with, but it seems farfetched as I have overtrained, done hard workouts, been tired as hell, but have NEVER had an issue running easy mileage on a treadmill.

Would you be willing to have someone video capture you running on the treadmill and post it? Totally understand if you don't want to, but maybe a visual would help.

CB
Physical Therapist/Endurance Coach
http://www.cadencept.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:

What a terrible way to live life.
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [PTinAZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
psst - check the date and finish reading the thread...

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Last edited by: tallswimmer: Jan 17, 19 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
psst - check the date and finish reading the thread...

Date doesn't matter. This is a great information and I didn't know this could happen to anyone.
I do crossfit, boot camp, yoga on top of swim, bike, run.
Sometimes I focus too much on swim, bike and run.
After reading this, I will keep working on functional move movement on a regular basis.
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely, but from the handle of the poster to whom i was replying, my inference was they were trying to diagnose the problem as if it was current, and hadn't been solved in some fashion. My response was rather snarky and should have been pink I suppose.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are in your mid forties it might be related to presbyopia. Being indoors can cause tension to your vision, specially if you keep changing vision planes. Looking to the screen and through the window for instance. In my mid forties I started experiencing similar issues both in the treadmill and in ellipticals. But also in some outdoor scenarios with lot of background changes, specially if the sun is raising. In my case it is also related to scintillating scotoma. But it only surfaced after the appearance of presbyopia. Worse with glasses than with contacts.

Hope it helps.
Quote Reply
Re: Suddenly unable to run on a treadmill - has this happened to anyone? [ecce-homo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this information. I had the same problem as the OP: overnight I could no longer run on the treadmill. I described it as vertigo and figured it was related to tinnitus, but I didn't have any loss of balance in any other activity. After years of running fine on the treadmill, I suddenly couldn't do more than shuffle with at least one hand on the rails. I had to make sure I didn't move my eyes away from a narrow point on the wall ahead of me. The further the wall the better!

Like the OP, I got over it with time, berating myself, and core strengthening. But recently I've started watching television while running and the problem started coming back. It seemed that my attempt to read the captions is affecting my brain's perception of where it is on the treadmill. Something like presbyopia (I'm in my mid-40s) would explain that.
Last edited by: hyr00: Jan 17, 19 15:04
Quote Reply