Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is this type of swim cap even real?
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone! Newbie triathlete here. I'm at the very beginning of training for my first sprint-distance event that's at the end of July. I have a rather lame question, but still wanted to ask.

I'm looking for a swim cap that actually keeps my hair from getting wet (would really like to prevent chlorine damage and don't want to be washing my hair more than I already do, which is every other day), is comfortable and easy to take on and off — is a cap like this even real? If not, what's the best swim cap you've ever used? Best materials? I went the cheap route and got a 5 buck silicone cap and it's pretty horrible. Suggestions? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Is this type of swim cap even real? [chejny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to keep hair dry, wear two caps:
a latex one with a larger silicone cap over the top, or you can try two latex caps (but you might get a headache.)
I used to have long hair and always wore two caps at races. My hair was pretty dry when the caps came off. Hair does get kind of smashed looking.
To mitigate chlorine damage, you can get your hair wet with fresh water (shower) before you swim and wear a tight latex cap.
But, if it's just a royal pain to deal with drying and styling, then go w two caps.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Re: Is this type of swim cap even real? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really appreciate the advice. Using two caps didn't even come to mind — I'll give the tip a try! Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this type of swim cap even real? [chejny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hate to break it to you but I have yet to find anything to keep hair dry under a swim cap. If you are just worried about chlorine exposure there are a few options. I've heard of some women coating their hair in conditioner before getting in the pool but I'm sure that would just make my cap slide off in the water. I soak my hair with fresh water under the shower then toss my hair up in a bun and put my cap on. After I am done swimming I rinse my hair in the shower, spray it with home made vitamin c spray (or buy this http://www.amazon.com/...-Spray/dp/B00DL3AQG6), then I use UltraSwim Shampoo and Conditioner (http://www.amazon.com/...ioner/dp/B007FMXL52/). I also use good quality shampoo/conditioner after other workouts and do a weekly apple cider vinegar or clarifying shampoo treatment. My salon is always shocked when I tell them I swim regularly in a pool and they comment on how healthy my hair is.

Elisha
"Triathlon doesn't build character. It reveals it."
Quote Reply
Re: Is this type of swim cap even real? [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for advice, it's really usefull
Quote Reply