Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Felt IA 3 or IA 10? What are the differences? [MrBuli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have an IA16, and every part was massively heavy. The crankset may be the heaviest on the market. And the wheels are unique to the IA16 and bricks. I have upgraded ever part on the bike, and most of them twice. That cockpit is one of the fastest out there, it is just heavy. You would likely ditch the wheels anyway, so their weight is somewhat moot. The crankset is a piece that many would ignore, but it is a huge opportunity.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA 3 or IA 10? What are the differences? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you know the actual weight of your bike with the tririg cockpit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I only weighted the two cockpits. The original cockpit, including stem, shifters, brake levers, extensions, arm rests & pads, etc. weighed 1,636g. The Alpha X equivalent setup weighted 1,212g. This did not include any cables.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cables ain't really heavy anyways.

Do you mind weighting your bike dude please? I'm quite curious about the result, as I do have a weight loss project.

You can buy this, pretty cheap: https://www.amazon.fr/...W4FQPDQK86Y&th=1

I'm going to buy one for myself as well because using a bathroom scale is not only inaccurate but also stupid :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am curious, but not enough to buy a scale and figure out a way to mount it for accuracy. Though, it probably would not be that meaningful for anyone but me. My bike is highly customized and few would probably duplicate what I have done. I do not know what my original bike weight was, but early on I had a table of theoretical savings when I was upgrading parts. However, this table no longer represents my current setup. The drivetrain and wheels are new again since then. It is probably a couple hundred grams lighter today.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the original weight of the IA16 is 10.1 kg, with the crappy heavy wheels I was talking about. So your bike's weight should be around 8 kg if not sub-8. Interesting, however it's important to keep a certain weight for a tri bike, because aerodynamism is important, so is inertia
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never understood the inertia argument. Any inertia you have once you're up to speed required an initial force to build it up in the first place. Why store your energy in the form of inertia? You're just bleeding it off with brakes at the end.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA 3 or IA 10? What are the differences? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well not everyone race.
I mostly use inertia when going downhill after climbing a steep slope, it lets you save your energy. My bike can go up to 45 kph on a -4% without having to pedal.

In a race it's different of course
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But in that case you needed more energy up the hill to carry extra weight. And on the downhill at 45kph the drag is higher so the inertia benefits you less. The faster you go, the energy required to move faster increases. If you needed an extra 100 joules to carry up the heavy bike at 20 kph, on the way down at 40kph you will maybe save 25 joules. Whether you race or not, the extra weight won't help you much on the downhill.

Also, someone who is looking at the IA 3 probably wants to go fast. lol
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA 3 or IA 10? What are the differences? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well you're probably right.
But either way I'm guessing extra weight or not it's still a pain climbing a hill with a tri bike.
How fast can you climb a 4% slope?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you post you list of components? I'd love to see the upgrades you've made!
Quote Reply
Re: Felt IA 3 or IA 10? What are the differences? [DZ_Matt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is everything I changed. Which is... everything.
  • Felt IA16
  • HED Jet Black 9/Disc wheels
  • Tririg Omega X front & rear brakes
  • Tririg Alpha X bars with tilt kit
  • Profile T1+ Carbon extensions
  • Cane Creek headset
  • Shimano R8050 Di2 drivetrain
  • XLab Torpedo bottle & cage on the Alpha X BTA Bracket
  • Custom Garmin mount extension stick
  • Garmin Edge 530
  • Cobb JOF55 saddle with Cobb rear mount hydration system
  • SRAM Red 22 170mm 52/36 crankset
  • Assioma Duo pedals
  • Premier Ultra Optimized Chain (with Premier's chain lube)
  • Dura Ace 11-23 cassette
  • Continental GP 5000 25mm/23mm tires
  • Silca Latex tubes

Quote Reply

Prev Next