Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: USAT Age Group Championships - Am I a faker? [Adelaide67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
But I do have this weird imposter feeling like I did not really earn it and won't belong!

It is such a strange feeling, isn't it!!?? Hell yes, I want to go to an awesome race that I really wouldn't qualify for except for this bizarre twist, but OMG I'm going to be the odd woman out among all these smoking fast athletes.

And congratulations on the St George race! I didn't race, but I was in St George the day before the race and it was freaking cold. I was thinking about all you racers. I hope the race photographer snapped a picture of you in your borrowed hoodie. That would be one to keep for sure. Wow. Sounds like it was quite the push to finish St. George. And have fun in Australia!! WOW!

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Championships - Am I a faker? [htrout] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Yes the photographer did get me in the hoodie, soaking wet, head down, its a terrible picture so I did not buy it ha ha! I am so glad to know someone else is going to Worlds feeling like I do! And yes I am so excited for the trip but my god the Aussies will destroy me in the water! And congrats on your qualifying, you absoultely deserve to go!
Last edited by: Adelaide67: May 23, 16 10:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not a faker at all! You should definitely do it!! Not even a question!

USAT Level 1 Certified Coach

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HA- the same happened to me! I came in 2nd in the race- yeah! Then my friend(who is really into triathalons) told me I qualified for AG nationals. What??? I'm going but also felt undeserved.

Glad I'm not the only one feeling that way!

Trish
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Championships - Am I a faker? [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Okie dokie! This faker is headed to Omaha! Actually landed here last Friday and have been out adventuring in middle America all week.

I'm looking forward to pretending like I belong among the best of the best and laying it all out there.

This will be my first non-wetsuit race in open water. I'm looking forward to that actually.

I'm also looking forward to a flat course. I've only ever done super hilly races.

...bummed that I'm in the 35-39 age group that starts at 10:02... Heat is not my strength.

<please not last place!!>

Cheers and thanks for all the encouragement that got me to the start line.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoo hoo!!!

Race hard and have fun!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race report? How did it go??
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Championships - Am I a faker? [pain_olympics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am dying to hear how Omaha was!!!

Patti in NJ
Quote Reply
Re: USAT Age Group Championships - Am I a faker? [PattiTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG you guys are awesome for asking. :-)

It was amazing! I wasn't a faker. I was a perfect MOP!

A few things... SWAG was great. Love my new hat. Expo was fun. Omaha was awesome.

The heat kicked my butt. My start time was 10:17 and it was pretty warm already.

Swim: I've never had a non-wetsuit swim and the water was so warm!! I was nervous about it but it was pretty great. I liked it. I was #34 out of the water in 28:35. I felt like I got stuck in a current or something. That was weird. For a bit the bouy wouldn't get any closer.

T1: it turns out I've never had a transition in the grass! All my races (30++) have had transition in big parking lots. It is harder to run in grass! Duh. Didn't think of that. It was harder than I thought to push my bike to through the grass. T1 time was SLOW at 2:41. I was bummed by that. I could have shaved at least 20 seconds. Blah. I normally nail T1.

Bike: it supposedly had a hill. Barely noticed. It was my first flat course. I'm a hill girl. Came in at 1:21:01. In the last 10k I backed off a bit because I was getting nervous about the heat. My legs had plenty of life but I was feeling the heat drain. I was aiming for 1:18 so I was ok with my time.

T2: again, GRASS!! What is that stuff? There isn't enough water in California for us to have that much grass. We just have asphalt, which I've come to love. T2 time was 2:03. I should have been 10 seconds faster there. I felt like I was running on wobblyness.

Run: it was great, for about 3 miles. I was on pace for a 55 minute run and my legs felt like they had enough left to get through. Then the heat smacked me down. At the turn around in the stadium I took my first 10 yard walk break. I could tell the heat was going to own me. It was around 12:45 in the afternoon by that point. After that it was a run-walk exercise and I was absolutely showing signs of heat exhaustion. I managed a trot for the last 1/2 mile to finish. The video of my finish is embarrassing. My arms must have been paralyzed or something. They were like noodles flopping around at my side. WTF? Anyway, finished the run in 1:08:42. Blah.

Total time was 3:03:05. I really wanted a 2:50 finish but the heat said otherwise.

So, wow! What a blast! Once I cooled off and got my brain back I was stoked.

28:34.7/2:41.8/1:21:01.2/2:03.7/1:08:42.6 = 3:03:05.2
O: 1557/2048
G: 601/951
C: 73/103

My favorite part was getting my butt kicked in the swim and transitions. In my local races I'm usually among the fastest. It definitely makes me want to push harder in those areas and not rest on my laurels! The bike was just straight up fun. The run was a finish or die sort of thing. I really wanted to push hard and get closer to dying but I just couldn't. So I finished instead. :-)

Thanks for all the encouragement. It was worth it!!!!
Last edited by: SLOgoing: Aug 22, 16 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Looking forward to next year's race report 😜
Quote Reply

Prev Next