Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help removing direct mount canti studs.
Quote | Reply
I just bought a Blue Triad SL frame and a couple of Tririg Omega X brakes for front rear. Tririg website states that the Triad SL does accept omega for front and rear and in installation vid and directions I'm to remove the direct mount studs on frame at rear brake. Here is the problem.... They are super tight! Should I use heat (small torch) to heat up the stud which was probably installed with lock tight. Scary on a multi $K frame.
I've sent Brian at Mybikeshop.com the same question and he is checking as well but I was hoping for some Slowtwitch help too.
Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Help removing direct mount canti studs. [New3901] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know your post regarding removing canti studs was a while ago, but I have the same exact issue with the same frame. Can you tell me what you ended up doing to remove the studs?
Quote Reply
Re: Help removing direct mount canti studs. [robertwfinke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Step 1: I checked the balance in my checking account in case things went south.
Step 2: I heated one stud at a time slowly with a hair dryer for about 5 minutes.
Step 3: used a large set of channel locks that were fairly new (teeth were still in good shape) to break the studs free. The channel locks will absolutely destroy the studs...so if they don’t break free be prepared to drill them out and re-thread the hole.
Step 4: cleaned the thread locker residue out using denatured alcohol.

Good luck! The heat helped be the pre formed shoulders on the studs aren’t going to survive what it took to break them free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New3901 wrote:
Step 1: I checked the balance in my checking account in case things went south.
Step 2: I heated one stud at a time slowly with a hair dryer for about 5 minutes.
Step 3: used a large set of channel locks that were fairly new (teeth were still in good shape) to break the studs free. The channel locks will absolutely destroy the studs...so if they don’t break free be prepared to drill them out and re-thread the hole.
Step 4: cleaned the thread locker residue out using denatured alcohol.

Good luck! The heat helped be the pre formed shoulders on the studs aren’t going to survive what it took to break them free.

What color was the thread locker residue that you cleaned out? If it was red loctite, a hair dryer wasn't enough heat to break it free. A torch applied to the stud would have probably heated the loctite enough that far less pressure with the channel locks would have been needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it, and I'm glad that you were successful. Hopefully the Omega X is worth the stress.

I'll post my results if and when I get beyond Step 1.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find a bolt of the same thread.

Thread a nut up it.

Screw the bolt into the stud.

Tighten the nut really tightly onto the end of the stud.

Unscrew the bolt.

This has worked for me on old MTB's with canti brake studs.

Good luck :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Help removing direct mount canti studs. [WD Pro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I just finished installing my Omega X brake. To get the canti studs off of the Triad it took the following steps:

1. Sprayed the stud with Liquid Wrench to help break up the rust and grime.
2. Heated the stud using a soldering iron on high. It got the canti stud really hot.
3. Got a solid grip on the stud with vise grips.

Lo and behold, they both turned and came right out.

Omega X is installed and I'm going for a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear. Enjoy the ride!
Quote Reply