Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Help
Quote | Reply
It is 16 degrees and about 100 degrees below O Far. wind chill here today. My wife got up at 5a.m. and ran 5 miles. I stayed in bed. Now I'm kicking myself. Wish I had went also but I'm so proud of my wife. She's the "best"
The thing was I had just found "perfect fit" in the bed.
Should I have went or is this fit thing as important as you guys say?
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help [denewone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firstly, let me say that I sell triathlon beds for a living. There is nothing more important in the performance of your bed than fit. Don't worry about the color, components, etc. Just make sure the bed fits correctly. Assuming your position in bed was correct, and from description it sounds like it was, You made the right training decision to stay in bed. Depending on who's wind tunnel data you believe, staying in bed today may have saved you between 33.5 and 47.1 seconds over your next 40KM. time trial. That is a pretty significant difference. Given the choice between Power Cranks, race wheels, a new Compu-Trainer, or a new Cervelo P2K- you will get roughly similar performance by staying in bed. I support your decision and did the same thing this morning as I am preparing for Ironman Wisconsin and have been practicing my taper early.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tom, fit is everything. This morning I didn't have a good fit, my two year old was welded next to me which made for a very long cockpit. Although I live in the south, the wind chill was horrible. If the fit would have been better, I would have practiced my taper also.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was supposed to get up at 5.30 this morning to bike to the pool for the early. However, I decided to do an alarm interval training session in bed instead. The alarm went off at 15 minute intervals and I got progressively less sleep and increased my heart rate between each interval. Good session but may consider a single hour long interval on Friday.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Last edited by: GBJ: Jan 22, 03 8:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HA! I did the same thing yesterday. My mind was willing, but my body just simply could not let go...until I heard the cats knocking yet another something off of someplace they should not have been. I say, this is the time of the year where if you just don't feel like doing it then well, don't. Enjoy the rest, practice the sleep, and you'll have plenty of time to worry about it when it wams up. Remember triathlon isn't just swim, bike run - it's also ear and sleep. Gotta practice all 5 to be well-rounded!

"To give less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." - Pre

MattMizenko.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Funny stuff....

FWIW, I was practicing IM recovery this weekend. No training and SEEfood diet. I didn't push the limits of my gastrointestinal system, though. I was just training through.... Wink
Quote Reply
Re: Need Help [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with an LSD posturepedic workout this morning instead of my scheduled 5:00 am pool time. I have noticed my REM endurance really starting to fade so i figured I ought to start addressing the problem immediately. I was suprised to find I could hold my HR and pace steady for a full three hours. I'm not too concerned about the swim I missed, my current schedule is flexible enough so that I can push it until tomorrow. That is of course if I'm not to drained from this morning's workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya. I woke up this morning and evaluated the wind head-on and at different yaw angles. I then decided it was not worth trying out the -40 degree situation and practiced my awake to sleep transition.

Quote Reply
Re: Need Help [Marlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I woke up this morning and evaluated the wind head-on and at different yaw angles
Don't you mean YAWN angles? I've heard down comforters have superior aerodynamic properties compared to cheap synthetic jobs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got one of the older sleep rate monitors, which only does 8 minute intervals. Decided that was better, however, than LPD (long painful distance) in SNIVELCON-5 conditions, or even the grueling walk to the truck to go swim.

Ben H

Christian, Husband, Father, Ranger, Triathlete
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>Firstly, let me say that I sell triathlon beds for a living.

As a retailer, I am also sure you are aware that tandem beds achieve much higher performance than either bed alone could achieve.

>There is nothing more important in the performance of your bed than fit.

Well, there is one thing...

--

~~Bob
Quote Reply