Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Facial Hair and freezing ?
Quote | Reply
I recently decided that I would grow a goatee to keep my chin warm on long winter runs. However, what I've noticed is that during my runs, due to either sweat or a poorly aimed water bottle, I have ice forming. Soon, the ice accumulates and grows into full blown icicles. Keep in mind, this is not Alaska here - it's Michigan. (It's about 8°F outside when I'm running in the AM.)

So, for you with furry faces, how do you keep this from happening?

Thanks for any advice!
Quote Reply
Re: Facial Hair and freezing ? [trimanjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Treadmill ;^)

Richard (who is too old, cold and frostbitten to run outside)in SL, MI
Last edited by: R Isgrigg: Jan 22, 03 4:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a beard for seven years. This freezing up always happenned when x-country skiing. The only solution is to shave it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, yeah! That's real winter weather! ;) Back in my Wisconsin days, that used to happen to me just due to my sweat and my breath condensing on my goatee and moustache. I used to get them on my stocking cap occasionally, too (over my temples, from sweat). The other guys are right, though: no way to stop it shy of shaving. And even with icicles hanging off, your beard is still warmer than clean shaven. If you shave, you'll notice it the first time you walk outside. Of course, you have to keep it at a length of more than the "modern" scruffy, stubble goatee for it to do any good. Don't worry about the icicles anyway; as long as they're frozen to your hair and not your skin they won't do any damage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since you shouldn't dip your beard in anti-freeze I would say shave the sucker off and buy a balaclava (the head garment, not the Greek pastry of similar name). Or, you could go out to the airport and when they are de-icing the planes you could just jump up and down and shout "Hey, Buddy! over here- give me a shot!"

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply