Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Billions [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
Episode 1 of Season 4 did not disappoint. I like where this is going. Does not appear they have lost their momentum.

Definitely didn't disappoint. And holy shit was it ominous.

I also enjoyed the one interaction between Chuck and Axe on the phone. Chuck is running around seeking favors for favors in order to get a favor. Everyone has a hand out and refuses unless they can get something in return. But when he asks Axe, it's done -- nothing requested in return. Axe knows how to play the long game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy shit this is a good show! Wife and daughter go off for 4 days for college visits so I start binge watching. Great stuff. I really enjoy the dynamic between Giamatti and his Psychologist wife and Axe.
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm now caught up with the latest episodes. Big fan of the show. But compared to past seasons, not feeling this one so far.

So, far it just seems so contrived.... All of those favors that Chuck need to broker and pull off in episode 2, in that timeline? Please, that's so unrealistic and made for TV obvious. And Bill and the Arkansas chicken-index guy from episode 3? That whole thing was so silly to be ridiculous.

At least the Mason storyline is compelling so far. And we know where she got some of her math smarts.
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [40-Tude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m there with you but I think they are toying with us. I think there is going to be a big WTF moment like the IJ scandal, etc. The acting in this is just excellent IMHO. So much fun!

I miss you "Sports Night"
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [Quo Vadimus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm through S3 finale. Did not see that coming.

Kate Sacker is played by Ahmad Rashad's kid.

I like how they brought back Axe's Ex. She is perfect for the role.
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [J-No] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Season 4, Ep 1.

Not really a fan of the long hair.

Underrated part of the cast are Axe's analysts. The new chick with the potty mouth adds dimension.

I like how everyone is dressed in suits and Axe shows up in a Meatloaf T-shirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plot lines are getting a little goofy. I'm holding on, but things are getting contrived and hackneyed.
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Plot lines are getting a little goofy. I'm holding on, but things are getting contrived and hackneyed.

Yep. The writers are thinking too much and trying to be too clever.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed, and somehow the acting seems crappier?
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not watched the last episode but this season has been pretty terrible. I might be done with it after this.
The Axe vs Taylor storyline just isn't that compelling to me. Really it just seems sloppy overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
The only thing I know about Billions is that I have a friend who played an extra in one scene.

I'll owe you a beer if you can guess which scene and who it was.

I'm gonna guess: one of the douchebags in the sushi restaurant

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
//I have not watched the last episode but this season has been pretty terrible. I might be done with it after this.
The Axe vs Taylor storyline just isn't that compelling to me. Really it just seems sloppy overall. //

Same. I loved the first 2 seasons, but they're losing me now.
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, it's better when the show sticks to the bigger/strategic/power moves and the move/counter-move stuff, and the twists along the way. I thought they got back to some of that this season after a rough start. The Taylor/dad vs. Axe/Wendy story arc; The Fracking stuff on the latest episode, were quite good. The Chuck vs. Connerty story arcs play out interestingly.

Then they went back with some silly contrived stuff, like Mafee vs. Wild Bill in the ring. That's just silly.

And Axe's new squeeze, Rebecca. Unlike his ex, she's got biz smarts but of course everything seems to work out just fine with all of her power moves, and zero stress. Please. All too convenient and neat but maybe b/c they don't want any drama there to detract from the main character's storylines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
For me, it's better when the show sticks to the bigger/strategic/power moves and the move/counter-move stuff, and the twists along the way. I thought they got back to some of that this season after a rough start. The Taylor/dad vs. Axe/Wendy story arc; The Fracking stuff on the latest episode, were quite good. The Chuck vs. Connerty story arcs play out interestingly.

Then they went back with some silly contrived stuff, like Mafee vs. Wild Bill in the ring. That's just silly.

And Axe's new squeeze, Rebecca. Unlike his ex, she's got biz smarts but of course everything seems to work out just fine with all of her power moves, and zero stress. Please. All too convenient and neat but maybe b/c they don't want any drama there to detract from the main character's storylines.

As soon as they hit the 80's "Eye of the Tiger" montage, I took one foot out. The only thing left now is a dream sequence to complete lazy-writer bingo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping this thread now that the new season has just resumed. Anyone else see episode 1? .... Thought it was just ok. But usually gets better during the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Bumping this thread now that the new season has just resumed. Anyone else see episode 1? .... Thought it was just ok. But usually gets better during the season.

Agreed. Just ok. I'm a bit worried the plot twist will be so twisted it will be hard to follow.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
40-Tude wrote:

Agreed. Just ok. I'm a bit worried the plot twist will be so twisted it will be hard to follow.

Wait until next season. Remember how Axe shorted airlines during 9/11. I bet next season (once they can film) will be about Covid and markets crashing.
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worth noting to this group, that episode 1 had a scene of Taylor working out in an Endless pool in a NYC bike/tri shop. Thought her stroke mechanics looked pretty good (though I’m not a real enough swimmer to judge). Good enough that I actually wondered if she’s a real swimmer or if they used a body-double... but then thought it would be silly to use a body double for something minor like that and concluded she must really swim.

Chuck’s response to her comment about setting a PB... “For swimming in place??”. That’s gold :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:
Worth noting to this group, that episode 1 had a scene of Taylor working out in an Endless pool in a NYC bike/tri shop. Thought her stroke mechanics looked pretty good (though I’m not a real enough swimmer to judge). Good enough that I actually wondered if she’s a real swimmer or if they used a body-double... but then thought it would be silly to use a body double for something minor like that and concluded she must really swim.

Chuck’s response to her comment about setting a PB... “For swimming in place??”. That’s gold :-)

Saw it - she was obviously crossing over with her left hand but nothing that couldn't be fixed with a little coaching and learning bilateral breathing.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
40-Tude wrote:

their, they are, they

They didn't seem winded when they stepped out of the pool, but then again they were swimming in place.
Quote Reply
Re: Billions [tgrunnin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! +2 pts for sensitivity to preferred pronouns.
Quote Reply

Prev Next