Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

picking a swim teacher/coach
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. I need help

If three disciplines in triathlon were sinking, biking, and running I could make it to the middle of the pack...

Anyways I really want to improve my swimming. The problem is masters workout really do not fit in with my schedule. So I figured I wold start the year off with some swimming lessons.

Now how do people go about finding a swim instructor. Most of the ones that I have found are all children's instructors. What is the going rate? and what is a good interval between lessons? should you have 2 or three right off the bat or 1 then another one a while later...

also if anyone knows anyone in the Long Island Area that would eb great too.

thank you
Quote Reply
Re: picking a swim teacher/coach [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a former swim coach who has sent a few kids to college and had a few nationally ranked swimmers I'd say look for a swim coach who emphasises technique. It may be the masters coach or it me be a college swimmer that the coach knows or high school swimmer from a yr round program. I'd stay away from someone who doesn't have some type of year round competitive swim background. Ask your neighbors/coworkers who have kids who swim if they like the coach, heck ask the kids if the coach helps with their stroke. I've seen some of the swimming camps for triathletes and would personally stay far away. It sounds like you need solid 1 on 1 time with someone who can tear your swimming apart and build it back correctly. Figure on a couple of months depending upon how much pool time you spend per week.

As for cost, a disc wheel will set you back say roughly $400 and move you forward about 1-2 min. Swim lessons will set you back say $50 per and I figure if you have 8 (so the cost is even) they should set you ahead anywhere from 2-10 min depending upon how bad you swim AND you will expend less energy then you did to go slower. That, you then can use to move ahead further. Think of it as compounding interest! Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: picking a swim teacher/coach [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the technique emphasis...
I have started a few years back with a very slow 28'-29' 1500m LC (actually, I did swim slower once, but it's not worth mentioning :-)
I didn't have access to swim coaches except on very rare occasions, so worked with books (swimming into the 21st century by Colwyn, I think, the books of magliscio and articles) and tried about all the drills I have read.
I can swim sub 18' for 1500m LC now, and I am fairly sure, even far less sets, I would have dropped around that time, far less technique, probably not.

Though, i swim at least 800m or yds of drill per session. A lot, but definitely worth it.

I was lucky enough to see top swimmers in Oz when I live there. Even the top dudes like Popov, klim etc...when they were doing sets, the coaches would have them stop if they couldn't hold their technique anymore (that's all relative for sure...looked fine to me) and would go back to drills...
Quote Reply
Re: picking a swim teacher/coach [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would one go about finding said persons? Is there a good web site or place to ask around for info?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try www.wintheswim.com The coach is Derrick Schoof. He is the coach of the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds and the Pacific Dolphins. He coached 11 swimmers the went to Sydney for Canada. He also competed in long-distance open water swims at an international level and understands open-water swimming. The website is just for triathletes and he does a really good job. You tell you experience etc and the number of workouts you can do a week and he posts your personallized workouts on Saturday morning. There is a Q&A section and he usually gets back to you within a day or two. The part I like best is each week when he posts your workouts you will also get an 'infosession' which is an article on some swimming related topic (drills, stroke, training, mental prep, etc.) which sometimes includes video clips on technique. Over time you build up a library of these 'infosessions and can learn alot about the drills and stuff to help you get better. I didn't ask a question for a while and I got an e-mail reminding me to use it. I think it is a great site. I wish there was an equivalent for biking.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check USAswimming.org for any local swim clubs. Call the coaches and start asking. Also, check with coaches at local high schools & colleges. Don't be afraid to use coaches for children's teams. As long as they are emphasizing technique & they know what they are doing, it will be positive.

I was able to work out a deal with a coach where in exchange for meeting with him once a month, I loan him my wetsuit a couple times a year for some open water races that I do not do. You probably won't get that luck, but depending upon the coach you never know.

In about 8 months my time for a 1000yds has improved from 14:05 to 12:20, which is a pretty huge jump, especially considering I am still in my offseason and out of shape. I won't even start with my Base 1 phase until the end of Feb.
Quote Reply
Re: picking a swim teacher/coach [Goatboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if the usaswimming website doesn't work there is always the good old fashioned phone book. Look under swim programs, and in the fitness section.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a USAS team in your neighborhood they would probably welcome you, even though you are an adult. Some USAS teams have a masters' group that meets as well. DesertDude is pretty much correct, except I think TI is worth investigating for most adults and triathletes. If you want to go right to the top of the class quickly, then a private coach is the ticket. Frankly, after watching over 5 years of swim practices I believe some period of time must be spent in which the coach is stopping you every 30 secs and telling you you are still doing it wrong. Video tapes are a big help for this problem. Many guys have a strong kinesthetic sense and can move their bodies in the right way with mere verbal instruction. But some guys benefit more from actually seeing their mistakes. :) Both approaches are usually incorporated in a USAS program.

Also, swimming with a USAS program will amply demonstrate how important form and hard work are. When those 7-8 year old girls are lapping you, you'll understand! After a few months of 10,000 yard workouts with those kids you'll be a DOLPHIN in the water. Trust me.

Good luck!

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Help is on the way!

Hey man, you have some really good coaches right near you on Long Island. Steve Tarpinian, Swimpower.com, runs both group swim workouts and stroke clinics at Chaminade pool. Lisa Bowman, Aquafitmasters.com, runs a great program at Eisenhour Pool in Garden City. She follows Terry Laughlin's techniques and I got alot out of her one day clinic this fall. She may have more coming up this spring. The clinic helped a lot to get my technique going back in the right direction.

Where do you swim now?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! đŸ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply