Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

how to cure ? coccyx pain (tailbone pain) sore
Quote | Reply
what causes it ?
after riding the bike for first time. get done and pain began.
bought inflatable donut and cold pack at walgreens to sit on
but after 2 weeks, still sore
how do i accelerate healing process.

don't want to discuss saddles
since not able to ride
just want to focus on how / what to do, to heal tailbone
there was no fall or crash or anything.
simply rode bike , got done and now lingering ongoing soreness
Quote Reply
Re: how to cure ? coccyx pain (tailbone pain) sore [Swanbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had tailbone pain for years when I was in my tweens. I could only sit on hard (wooden) chairs, so tailbone does not touch anything. Never found out what caused it. I was a road cyclist at the time. Best of luck.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: how to cure ? coccyx pain (tailbone pain) sore [DrTriKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
never had this pain before ever.
........ it began after this first bike ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does it hurt at rest? walking? other activities? Anything that relieves it? Is it constant?

Angela Naeth
http://www.angelanaeth.com
http://www.iracelikeagirl.com
Quote Reply
Re: how to cure ? coccyx pain (tailbone pain) sore [tri3bullet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

only time it does not hurt
is when walking
it hurts to bend over ,squat ,sit down ,stand up ,drive car ,lay down ...................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you 1000% percent certain it's your tailbone? Like you looked at an anatomy book, found it and know where it is? I'm not trying to insult you, but as I doc I've seen many people who thought a body part was something it wasn't. If it's truly your tailbone, there's not much to be done. After 6-8 weeks you may find a doc who would try injections. I referred a pt once for a tailbone removal who had had pain for years. When I fell skiing, mine hurt for about 18 months. But I'm just not sure what the mechanism would be for causing coccyx pain after a bike ride. It never touches anything. Only your sitbones should be touching he saddle.
Quote Reply
Re: how to cure ? coccyx pain (tailbone pain) sore [afdrmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(When I fell skiing, mine hurt for about 18 months).

how did you treat this soreness
during those 18 months ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, there really isn't much to do early on other than Motrin. And maybe you could squeeze some ice up there. I wasn't able to sit straight for about a week and then after that it was a matter of being careful and not stressing it unnecessarily. I had to do my sit ups (I'm military) sitting on one butt cheek or other. I didn't ride bikes back then. I eventually got used to daily pain and then one day noticed it wasn't there anymore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a physio/physical therapist that specializes in pelvic health I am biased but - please go see a physio or chiropractor that has training in pelvic health/pain conditions. There are several things that could have happened:
1) you bike seat could have irritated the old skiing injury
2) you could have a nerve entrapment
3) there could be bony mal-alignment (pelvis, sacrum, coccyx, etc)
4) muscular imbalance that is in a holding pattern irritating tissue (tight pelvic floor, tight deep hip rotators, etc)
5) sometimes even things like labral lesions in the hip can refer in similar ways
6) a combination of the above

Bottom line, from my perspective, there are many non-invasive, conservative evaluative processes and treatments that could help reduce your pain. And although you don't want to discuss it at the moment, the long term prevention may involve looking at your overall bike fit, with this pain in mind. Coccyx disfunction and pelvic pain are very common in highly fit, athletic women - of all ages. Please know there are practitioners out there that can help.

Quote | Reply
are you sure it is your tailbone - could it be your sacrum? the SI joint can get out of place... I've had this happen a bunch.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply