Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? Jan. 4 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope all the womens are having a good start to the new year. How was your last week, and what are your goals for this week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 4 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 1: win with 2
bike x 1: fail
run x 5: win with 7
core/strength x 3: win with 4

Need to put a bike on the trainer as it's turned to utter balls out.

This week's goals:
swim x 3
bike x 1
run x 5
core/strength x 4

Things get better, then they get worse. This rollercoaster is wearing me out.

Quote | Reply

Quote:
goals for this week:
swim tomorrow AM (already made plans to go with 2 other women) I only swam once.
bike at least 2x done!
write my syllabus for the class I'm teaching :P school starts next Monday I made a good draft, sent it to a professor for approval, and we're adjusting a bit. Classes are cancelled today - icy here in Oregon - so still working on this

I am proud of my week.
M: 6.5 mi run w/ 5 x 1 km @ 6:27 pace + 1250 yd swim
T: 8 mi easy run + 45 min stairmaster
W: 9.6 mi easy run + 1 hr teaching spin class
T: 4 mi run + 45 min teaching spin class + 6 mi run w/ 8 x 400 descending 7:30 to 6:00 pace
F: 2:20 on the trainer
S: 10.2 mi run w/ 2k @ 8.1, 8.2 mph, 5k @ 8.3, 8.4, 8.5, 8.6, 8.7 mph, 3 x 1 km @ 8.8, 8.9, 9.0 mph + 20 min easy recumbent bike
S: 3 mi bike (outside - commute from campus back to my apartment)

totals:
swim 1x = 1250 yds
bike 5x = a bit over 4.5 hrs
run 5x = 44.3 mi

This week...
Swim: M-Th at the very least. I will be in Seattle Fri/Sat for the Joint Mathematics Meetings (this is the biggest maths conference in the world!)
Bike: 3x
Run: take at least one day off; keep up w/ easy days easy and fast days fast (I ran a good speed workout this AM after not having run yesterday, and my legs were fresh Saturday after not having run Friday!)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 4 Edition [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mistressk wrote:

Any chance you can get away for a few days (by yourself/with a friend)? I can't imagine how exhausting it must be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spent a lot of time with a sick cat. :( Started Weight Watchers, joined a gym. Got in some walking on the treadmill. Tomorrow is an early-morning spin class. I may try a Zumba class on Thursday evening. Plan to swim twice this week and do some more walking on the dreadmill.

~~ db
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 4 Edition [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is the cat better? :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jury's still out. He's an old Maine Coon cat. He has a "megacolon." I actually requested advice on the Lavender forum. $1600 later, vet prescribed food, three prescription meds, 2x/day oral stuff, and he pooped a time or two. What we don't do for our fur-family. I had to put an old black labby down a month ago, and it broke my heart. Since DH passed away, I'm really feeling the loss of any family member who passes on. But seeing Fat Bill purring and snuggling in my lap ... worth everything.

Thanks for asking. Glad to be back among friends.

~~ db
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got to spend the week with my dad. I flew him back with me after Christmas and we drove over to Memphis to a football bowl game. We walked a few times and yesterday I did a short ride outside. The second outdoor ride on the new knee. I also rode the trainer a couple times.

Saw the orthopedic surgeon 12/31 and he was very happy with my progress and doesn't want to see me until the 1-year anniversary of surgery. "Go get strong" were his words.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 4 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
mistressk wrote:

Any chance you can get away for a few days (by yourself/with a friend)? I can't imagine how exhausting it must be.

Eeh, I don't really have any way to do so. No friends that I'd be able to call on for a weekend away (I have literally never gone on a trip with a friend - either solo or with my husband), no possibility of time off work (it's now my busiest time of year), and we only have 1 car so I can't leave him without transport.

Yesterday was the first time since Dec 28th that he didn't do something that hurt me, though, so I'll take that as progress.

Quote | Reply
So far it's all right... Cathy, good news from the doc, keep at it... misstress, find a way you can get some alone time. Also: can you find a counsellor you can meet with? even if only to vent, cry, get it out, have someone mirror back to you what you've been feeling, etc. I am worried that you are using work as an excuse. I only write that because I did the same thing.

Last week's plan:
I only have 2 days of work this week, so I'd like to run 3x - DONE, ride once at least FAIL, and get in a rec skate session plus club skates start back up on Sat (so skate x3) DONE.

It seems that the time off work/skating/etc has added 5lbs and a lot of lethargy. Man I feel like a slug (or a rock?) when running or skating. Gotta get back on the good-for-me food train and start putting some effort in. Got a very cool jump rope for xmas so I'll start using that too. Start out with counting # of footfalls in 30s w/30s rest, and work my way up to 45s/15s. Then try one leg, doubles, cross overs, etc. :-)

This week:
- Skate 3x
- Chief referee on Sat - all day on the ice super tiring but it's my club's meet and while I want to race, I'm gonna do this more important task.... will need hot pockets in my skates tho!!! :-)
- Run 3x
- Drills/core/skipping 2x
- Ride 1 or 2x - totally weather dependent - it's been snowing here (yeah - it never snows here!) and I'm not interested in going down on the road again...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: AndyPants: Jan 5, 16 13:40
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? Jan. 4 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
misstress, find a way you can get some alone time. Also: can you find a counsellor you can meet with? even if only to vent, cry, get it out, have someone mirror back to you what you've been feeling, etc. I am worried that you are using work as an excuse. I only write that because I did the same thing.

My alone time is usually training - he doesn't have any pursuits that take him out of the house, so when I'm out running or at the pool is generally my time to ruminate.

I wouldn't know where to start to look for a counsellor. I do keep a couple of journals and have been writing quite a bit, plus drawing daily.

It really is my busiest time of year at the office, from now until the end of February - payroll year end is a big deal when you have 30 companies to take care of, plus trying to stay on top of the regular monthly accounting for a few corporations.

And just to add insult to injury (or maybe it's the other way around) I've come down with a stinkin' head cold.

I really need to quit whining, though. I may not have everything but I do have more than most.

Quote | Reply
I like journaling.
In the US, family MDs generally know names of therapists/counselors, if you wanted to go the individual or couples' therapy route.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. If I could ever actually get in to see my "family doctor" (we just registered at a doc's office about 1.5yrs ago after a dozen years with no gen.prac, but have yet to actually be able to get an appointment even when we need one), I'd look into that, but it doesn't seem likely. I might be able to get some contacts through our provincial TeleHealth service (connects you with registered nurses who then recommend a course of action based on a brief interview).

I don't know how he would take the idea of couples counselling. He's very private about anything even remotely personal, so I don't see him being very open to discussing this stuff with a stranger.

For myself, despite the history of mental illness in my family, I never got much out of the couple of counselling sessions I had in my teens.