Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How are you? Dec. 14 Edition
Quote | Reply
Hope all the womens are well.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Details for a later date - but my life has had some big changes too. Sigh.

Good luck to everyone who is in the middle of change right now.

Did some good Zwifting last week. Being online at weird times (and few women) has allowed me to wear some fun jerseys.
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Dec 14, 15 10:05
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you quickly explain what "zwifting" is?

A "sigh" doesn't sound good :-(

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy cow, lots going on with all the womens... hang in there everyone.

Last week: last meet until late Jan... improve on those times esp 500m...
- skate 3x + meet - DONE
- ride 1x -DONE
- run 2x - FAIL was sick Tues and Wed - head cold with fever/chills yuck
- keep on the food + sleep programme - DONE

The meet was OK for me, I had 2 new PBs (777m and 1000m) but they were barely PBs - and have officially plateaued. Not such a bad thing, I have already improved a great deal through the first 3 months, so a plateau is to be expected. I am going to try a bunch of different things over the holiday break (weights + drills + more running) and I have to find a different way to warm up before each race (I don't think I'm actually all that warmed up and ready to go at the start line). Gonna try skipping! Gotta break though!

K had a very tough meet - she fell right at the finish line on her first race and broke the back tip off her blade. We thought her day was done but the hosting club's equipment manager found a pair of exact same size & brand boots that had the same size blades already mounted, which they lent her for the rest of the meet. Now, every little change feels REALLY different so her 1st race on the borrowed skates was a disaster - fell twice, was really frustrated and upset - no time to even warm up, test them out, etc. Most people would have just DNSed the rest of the meet. But she stuck it out and had two more races that went well, including a massive PB in her 1500m race (14 sec is massive :-)). After the meet, our club got her refitted in a larger boot and longer blade (15" up from 14") set-up, which she tested out and felt really good. So I'm happy it all ended well, and she earned some serious props from the more experienced skaters and the coaches who were impressed that she sucked it up and managed to do so well.

This week: enjoy a break from racing...
- run 3x
- ride 1x (it's almost too dark & stormy to ride to work - a lot of low visibility areas and it's quite dangerous - so this will be weather dependent)
- skate 5x
- find some decent skip ropes

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I fly home Thursday. Goals: swim M,T,W,Th, maybe Saturday swam M,T,W; bike at least twice twice!; take at least 1 day off from running.done- actually took 2 off
I can't wait to be home!!!! 96 hrs away from PARENTS!!!!

Home is great :-) I rode my bike outside yesterday and today, and it is DECEMBER in MAINE. I love it. The bike I have in Maine fits me better and it just feels so good to ride it.

s: 3x = 7800 yds
b: 2x = 33 mi
r: 5x = 41.4 mi
days totally off = 1

On Friday we stopped at the beach on the way home and I went in. Nothing feels better to me than being in the ocean on the east coast after I've been away. Aside from the cold as a sort of cure for jet lag, I am so PRESENT when I am standing in the waves, like nothing else exists.

On Saturday we went to see the Nutcracker - we used to go when we were little, but haven't been in years, so I got tickets as an xmas present for my dad. He LOVED it, and I got a picture with the guy who played the 'nutcracker' role. I asked "can you hold me like Clara?" so he grabbed my waist and did one of the 'lifts'. He looked a little young, otherwise I would have tried to get his number :P hubba hubba.

goals for this week:
bike outside on every day it is possible to do so
take at least a day off from running
keep working on balancing short, easy, long, and fast rather than all runs regressing to the mean
swim a couple of times
get some schoolwork done

Also: photo of me in Logan Airport...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift is a virtual reality world for cycling. Basically a computer game while you workout! As you "level up" (ride more kms) you unlock bikes/kit/wheels. They have organized rides/races too, but I just wind up riding when I have time. It's much more entertaining & I work way harder when I can see times/chase people.

Congrats to your kid AP - sounds like she's learning some important skills that will serve her well in the real world!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
swim x 3: win
bike x 1: win
run x 5: win
core/strength x 4: win
foam roll x 1: fail

Glad I set the bar pretty low for last week, since there was a lot going on.

Progress is being made in fits and starts - sometimes a step forward, sometimes a step back, but communication is happening and we're trying to find our way.

This week's goals:
swim x 2
bike x 1
run x 4
core/strength x 4
foam roll x 1

Quote | Reply
You are a brave woman to lay on the floor of an airport, haha. I also took my bike outside (Detroit) yesterday. Even though I was running short on daylight and I debated "wasting" a tube to swap out a flat for what would likely be my only outdoor ride in months, I'm glad I got out there in the fresh air while I could.

http://mediocremultisport.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm hanging in there.
I won the last local CX race of the year, there was only a field of us 3. The only reason we went is because it was unusually warm, and the husband could stand to move up a spot in the series if he did well.
Which he did! Yay on him!

I used a massage gift card that had been hanging around forever today. I'm feeling very "lost" and stressed. I do have an interview tomorrow that sounds quite promising - and it would be a 45 min drive instead of an hour. Too bad the place 2mi from home is not hiring someone of my credentials. They are looking for an assistant in my field. I sent them a resume regardless but it would be like a PhD applying for a HS diploma spot.
(no, I don't have a PhD. MS)

Today I'll swim, and tomorrow I'll start my "do something else" for workouts for the next two weeks.
My sister sent me her pinterest workout board. However, I look at it and feel lost. Ack. I so don't do "workouts" other than SBR and a bit of TRX.
Let the adventure begin.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's what I'm thinking about this week:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=5800496;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread
posted on the main forum to get a wider response but would love any insights from the womens.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG I totally get you. I've had this a few times. It's totally normal and it's part of what happens when we let ourselves be identified by our sports, or by our accomplishments. I used to go out of my way to try other sports to be different. Everyone was skiing when I started snowboarding back in (ugh) '93. I chose snowboarding because it was different than what everyone else was doing. Hell, I still XC ski classic style not because I don't think I could skate-ski, but because there's a lot of people who can't do it (well).

So normal, yes. But remember that it's all of the pieces of you that make you who you are, you can't just look at one piece of the puzzle, you can't define yourself by that one piece....

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
I chose snowboarding because it was different than what everyone else was doing. Hell, I still XC ski classic style not because I don't think I could skate-ski, but because there's a lot of people who can't do it (well).

That desire to be unique is really interesting, isn't it? I could maybe trace some of it but it has manifested in my life in a lot of ways. I think there's some of it that is normal - we all need to feel that we are special, and we ARE all unique...

Interestingly, I have a brother who is transgendered and is transitioning to living as a female. This sibling has said she wants to get a PhD. She took up running, and she eats eggs 3 at a time (everyone else in my house eats them 2 at a time EXCEPT me). She picked a gender-neutral name that gives her the same initials as mine. These seeming imitations of who I am and what I do don't phase me in the least...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wonderful thing about triathlon is that there's room in it for everyone. Maybe she sees you doing well and having fun and wants to participate? I think this is your competitive nature showing through -- of course you want to be the best! But the fact remains that there will always be someone faster than you on any given day. Instead of seeing her as intruding on your "thing," maybe try to look at it like you're now part of a team, and you're kind of the ambassador.

My one sister-in-law and I have always been active and occasionally our "fitness lines" cross competitively. I did a marathon first, and then she did one, but because she was slower, it was OK. She did a triathlon first, and then I did one, and now she has to comment on every race picture about how she got me into it. It's very annoying, but those who know me know that's not the case and I let it go. I'm still in triathlon and she's moved on to the next thing.

It happens. It's annoying. But acknowledge it and use it as motivation to improve, not for resentment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC. You are awesome and always so positive here -- it's not hard to see why your sib wants to be even more like you! Some on the main forum are kind of harsh, but I get it -- in my family my two sisters and I were raised to find "our own" things, and my younger sister (well over 40) still complains that my older sister and I "took all the good things." My older sister is my unwavering race sherpa, but when she gets excited at a race and says maybe she will race next year, I get the same feelings of "that's my thing" that you experience. I suspect if my parents had taught us to share activities when we were kids, I wouldn't feel this way as much.

As for the week in general, I have somewhat of the opposite problem of some of the womens -- my life right now is stuck and in some ways I feel as if I have regressed to 2005. I am trying to figure out what sorts of key changes to make, without selling my house and moving, that will provide a good jumpstart.

In sport related news, I have plans to go swim with former openwater and triathlon swimming star, John Flanagan, over the holiday break, and that will complete my year-plus-a-few-months of swimming with the best -- including Gary Hall Sr., Andy Potts, Diana Nyad, and, of course, Monty. Next on my list probably should be JasoninHalifax!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
Good luck to everyone who is in the middle of change right now.

Totally this. Good luck, womens. Job hunting, husband communicating, life changes... You are all strong and capable womens, and I have every faith in all of you.

TC, I replied to your question in the main forum so I won't do so again here, but hopefully you have gotten some validation that yes, it is quite normal to feel the way you feel, and that you are wise to recognise it and want to process it even if you don't quite know how yet. Are you coming down my end of the state at all over the holidays?

Work sucks - my company was bought out a few months ago and we're in the middle of trying to integrate with our new owners, and I'm worried about my employees (a lot) and about my own job (a little). On top of that shuffle, I have an individual who is really doing lousy, sloppy work, but also reported me to HR for "not being sympathetic enough to her needs" last time I tried to address it. Which means having a meeting with HR present so things don't get distorted and lied about, which she has a history of. I am already a person short, we have a bunch of vacation coming up over the holidays and I have an employee out on maternity leave, so it's a lousy time to let anyone go... But this one is making it really difficult to keep her around.

Not a terrible week; ran twice, also rode my bike outside in Maine in December - but not brave enough to swim in the ocean!! Coming up this week it's concert season; played in public on Friday and last night, and have concerts tonight, and Friday. I begged out of Saturday night for a rest! Hoping for more outdoor bikey-time, and a run where my legs don't hurt.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
In sport related news, I have plans to go swim with former openwater and triathlon swimming star, John Flanagan, over the holiday break, and that will complete my year-plus-a-few-months of swimming with the best -- including Gary Hall Sr., Andy Potts, Diana Nyad, and, of course, Monty. Next on my list probably should be JasoninHalifax!

Wow, that is the swim hall of fame. I would add MarkyV to the list

re: my post - thanks for your response. I know the main forum is harsh and I'm okay with that. I got what I needed out of the thread.

Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [UK2ME] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
TC, I replied to your question in the main forum so I won't do so again here, but hopefully you have gotten some validation that yes, it is quite normal to feel the way you feel, and that you are wise to recognise it and want to process it even if you don't quite know how yet. Are you coming down my end of the state at all over the holidays?

I did get what I needed. Thanks for replying.

Likely not... but maybe on spring break in March when the ST road trip is there!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still riding on the indoor trainer. I wonder if I will ever ride outside again... I even did a run on the treadmill. I shouldn't complain. I live in sunny California but it has been "cold" this week - our highs have been in the upper 50s. Amazing how wimpy California can make a person. Even my cat won't go outside. It should be at least in the 60s right now. I can't wear my running shorts in such cold temperatures. I'm in my office and my fingers, toes and nose are cold. The struggle is real.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am well thank you! We went out of town on Monday to go skiing and only got back last night so today feels like Monday! (Apart from there being no food in the house...) I'll be glad to get in 3 x bike, 2 x swim and 2 x run before the next real Monday rolls around.

Last week went well in swimming and biking terms but I'm really struggling with having to go on the treadmill for my runs. We've currently got highs of about -14C (<10F) and it is super-icy so running outside isn't really an option (I'm more scared of the ice than the cold - I've nearly wiped out several times just walking). The TVs at the gym haven't been working, music is no longer an adequate distraction and I can't think of anything else to help me find the discipline to stay on the belt.

Looks like a lot of the women are facing changes/challenges/struggles - may you all find the patience and strength to deal with whatever comes your way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
16 weeks post-knee replacement surgery and my knee is feeling pretty good but my calves and the back of my knees get supertight if I sit for even 20 minutes. So being in week five of six weeks of travel on airplanes and sitting in conference rooms is just not good. Going back to work full-time really set me back recovery wise. And due to our schedules I'm only getting to see the PT once a week right now.

My biggest issue is just getting out of bed in the morning since I've developed the habit of laying in bed on the phone looking at the Internet and Facebook and email. I did do one session this week with my teammate who is a personal trainer at her new fitness studio and I'm going to start working out with her once a week which will force me to get out of bed. It was the first time to do a weight workout since pre-surgery.

Depending on the weather this weekend I'm going to try and ride the bike outside for a little bit. We were going to try it last weekend but I tweaked something in my knee or calf and couldn't even do a pedal rotation without pain. I guess they were not kidding when they said it could take up to a full year to get complete recovery. Very frustrating!!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Last edited by: ironclm: Dec 18, 15 6:09
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scheherazade wrote:
The TVs at the gym haven't been working, music is no longer an adequate distraction and I can't think of anything else to help me find the discipline to stay on the belt.
Netflix shows. Watch them on your phone or bring your iPad if you have to and allow yourself to watch them ONLY on the treadmill. Last year with all the snow I watched all of Breaking Bad, Freaks and Geeks, Arrested Development, Kimmy Schmidt, Parks and Rec, Peaky Blinders, Deadwood and maybe a few more. I have wireless headphones I use for this purpose (since my extreme klutziness pretty much ensures I will catch the wires with my arms as I run).

Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh good thought! I don't think I can stream Netflix (no wifi at gym and my data won't last) but my library membership offers digital downloads so I will see what I can find there. Thanks so much.
Quote Reply
Re: How are you? Dec. 14 Edition [Midtown Miles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do this too - have "treat" things that are only for working out. For me it's usually music AND the ability to be alone. I know that one won't work for everyone, but an hour without a dog or small human needing something from me is so worth the treadmill time.

edit - who am I kidding? I can do an hour on the bike, but I can only handle maybe 40 min on the treadmill....
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Dec 18, 15 10:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
edit - who am I kidding? I can do an hour on the bike, but I can only handle maybe 40 min on the treadmill....
40 minutes is enough time for one episode of Breaking Bad or two of Parks and Rec. ;)

Quote Reply