Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rental Car size
Quote | Reply
So I'm doing my first real destination tri next June. I am curious what people get for a rental car. I am going to be using the scicon aerocomfort triathlon bag, and want to be able to fit it the trunk without getting an SUV. There will be 4 people so putting it on the back seat won't be an option. Will the bag fit in a full size car, like a camry or such?

thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [b.will] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always get the smallest and cheapest and can fit the bike in all of them fine. Only once when the car ended up being a Chevy Spark did I have to upgrade. Most compact cars today allow you to put the back seats down and you can fit a bike bag inside comfortably.
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you missed the part where he said 4 people in the car.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rent cars while traveling with a bike box all the time. IME bike boxes won't fit in the trunk of small and midsize cars, not without folding down the seats. I usually get a compact hatchback and fold the rear seats. Won't work if you need 4 people in the car obviously. Maybe a full size car with a really big trunk. Where would you put all the other bags? Sounds like you need a minivan with 3 rows of seating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rented a car to travel for work last week, and got the biggest car they had (big price jump to go to SUV or Van), a Ford Fusion 4 door sedan. The only way I could fit my bike in it was to remove both wheels, and even then I had to drop the back seat.

I don' think you'll find a car that will work, you're probably looking at needing a van of suv.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
but be cheaper to get two cars, otherwise like others said, van or large suv
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona 2014 I ended up with a Chysler 300 (I think that's what it was) and was able to fit the same SciCon bag in the trunk plus a few other soft luggage bags. We had 3 adults and a 15 and 12 year old with us. Admittedely, as the driver I was the only one without a bag in my lap as we made our way to the condo. It was a midly uncomfrotable ride for everyone (but me) but it was 15 mins max.
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you will need a full size SUV to fit the bag and 4 people plus luggage.

I drive a BMW X3 and use Scicon aerocomfort triathlon bag..it is too wide to fit in the back with the seats up. I probably could fit it with the one seat folded down, leaving room for two people...but if you are driving any distance...common rental SUVs like a Rav4 aren't going to do it. On the other hand, my friend rented a full size SUV in Kona, and he fit four people and a hardcase in the back with no issues...think it was a Ford something or other!
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [Darren325] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You either need 2 cars or a minivan.

... I assume all 4 people have luggage as well.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for all the replies. Luggage will be minimal for the other people since we are only there for 4 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b.will wrote:
thanks for all the replies. Luggage will be minimal for the other people since we are only there for 4 days.

It's still going to be at least 4 suitcases...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
b.will wrote:

You forgot the pink text. I added it for you.

There's no way I see myself and all of my tri stuff plus 3 people and their luggage going into a car. I'm with everyone else here. You'll need two cars or a minivan/truck or maybe suv.
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Assuming you have two drivers, get two of the smallest vehicles they rent. If you only have one, then a minivan or van.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any updates regarding this question?
4 people, Scicon bag, 2 suitcases
Any real experience and car suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [@rt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One option is to get an Uber XL to and from your hotel so that you can transport the bike case, and then use a full size car for any other travel you have. If your hotel is far from the airport, that won't be a good value.

I've used a hotel courtesy shuttle van to transport hard cases before, and then use a small rental car for the rest of my driving around. You could even throw a seasucker in your luggage to transport the bike on top of a small rental car once your Scicon is in the hotel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@rt wrote:
Is there any updates regarding this question?
4 people, Scicon bag, 2 suitcases
Any real experience and car suggestions?

Get a trailer and put the other 3 people in it?

Or get a SUV since they are not much more money than a compact car. Even when traveling alone I get an SUV for the $5-$10 more a day. Just get on Expedia and price shop.

Minivans are normally a lot more money.
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt any SUV could take a Scicon and 2 suitcases.
Therefore, I asked to share the real experience of renting a car that may correspond to these criteria.

Yes, you are right, vans are much more expensive

I'll contact the hotel and check the transfer option anyway. Thanks rob_bell for the idea!
Last edited by: @rt: Nov 23, 20 10:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We always rent a mini Van for destination races and never have any issues. Worth the extra money to not have to hassle with “fitting” it in. Just open the back and everything fits easily. Plus luggage and people don’t have to squeeze into a car so you can save $100 on a trip you already spent $3000 on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so the last time I went to Arizona I got a Mazda CX5 which is hardly a big SUV and I got two cases, 2 bags and 3 people in it.

In 2017 I got a 4 door Ford Explorer which could have easily gotten a case, two bags and 4 people. It was an upgrade and I didn't need it for the 1 case, 2 bags and 2 people in it.

But I guess those aren't the real experiences you want to hear.
Last edited by: jaretj: Nov 23, 20 14:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it's not part of your question, but the Ruster Armored Hen House two-bag system is small enough to fit in "normal" cars with no problems. I've been flying with it several times a year and never paid bike or oversize fees and have never had a rental car trunk issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For IM Austria 2012 we fit four adults, my 10 month old baby girl in a car seat, my TT bike in a Bike Box Alan and our luggage (including baby stuff) into a VW Passat. It wasn't even an estate. Drove down to Klagenfurt from Munich airport.

Edit: and a small pushchair!

I'm still not sure how we did it, but we did. If I can find any photos I'll post back.

One thing I can offer... in Norway last year it was cheaper to book a smaller car and upgrade at the desk than it would have been to book the bigger car in the first place. By quite a bit.

Cheers, Rich.
Last edited by: knighty76: Nov 23, 20 16:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hired a big BMW SUV for Roth and it was a struggle to fit everything in (including wife and 2 teens). We ended up with the 'two seat' back seat pushed down, so both teens squeezed into one back seat for drive from Munich to Roth. Fortunately once there, we could leave the bike at the apartment, so driving around the area on race week was fine. Of course it was the same squeeze on the drive back to Munich, but we managed.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj,
I wasn't going to hurt you. Do not take to heart. I'm full of the ideas and speculative assumptions but they don't take me anywhere. Thus I asked for real experience and you got me right. Specific car models are exactly what I'm looking for. Now I can look for these car at the rentals and hope it would close this question.

Mini Van is definitely also as option. Just more expansive option...

Thanks for all feedbacks and help!
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [fareastman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I presume that meant the two teens didn't have a seat belt?
That'd be a deal breaker for me and would be for the police too if they happened to spot you.
That sort of thing was ignored until the 80s but...... best not
Quote Reply
Re: Rental Car size [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess not to be honest. I think the point I was getting at was that we managed, but I wouldn't recommend it. A people carrier type vehicle would be better I think.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply