Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire Choice: Xterra Maui?
Quote | Reply
I am curious if anyone has an opinion on tires for the Maui Xterra course.

I ride a full suspension 29er and currently run 29 x 2.2 S-works Fast Trak with Stan's. I have had one sidewall tear in the last 2 years riding this set up which makes me a little concerned because of the lava rock. If it helps I weigh ~145 pounds and descend more carefully and consider myself more of a finesse rider.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Choice: Xterra Maui? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sworks tires should be fine. The course at Kapalua has little to no lava rock (compared to the old cours at Waleia). I usually ride Swork tires at Maui (this will be my 10th Maui).

On the other hand, it can get pretty loose on the course. I have found the Fast Trak's too have too little grip up front for Maui (I ride them on the back, and have usually used a Captain up front). The pros will use Fast Trak, but you might find you want a bit more grip, depending on your skill level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the Ground Control. Tom is the guy you want to look to for Maui-specific advice, but in talking with the Specialized team, the Ground Control or The Captain were designed to be their best "all around" tires.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak to the tread choice for Maui; but as far as Speccie tires - stay away from the SWorks.
The Control (or even Grid) models have much better sidewalls.

To me, the small weight penalty more than outweighs the catastrophe of sidewall tears. Especially if sharp rocks are going to be around.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Choice: Xterra Maui? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have raced on the old and current course, and at Kapalua I used the Fastraks front and rear as you are running. But, not S-works for me, just too big a worry for the small weight penalty. I used the the control models. Lava rock is not a big issue on the new course, hard to find any or thorns either. Doubt you want to change now, and would not recommend doing so without time to get lots of miles in, but after may years with Spec tires I have raced this year with Schwalbe Nobby Nic on front and Racing Ralph on back and these have worked well for me. Not the lightest versions - the ones with their sidewall snakeskin protection. Good luck, I will be there too!
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Choice: Xterra Maui? [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rumpled wrote:
I can't speak to the tread choice for Maui; but as far as Speccie tires - stay away from the SWorks.
The Control (or even Grid) models have much better sidewalls.

To me, the small weight penalty more than outweighs the catastrophe of sidewall tears. Especially if sharp rocks are going to be around.

Oh yeah. I should have added that. Even the Specialized guys will tell you to run Control-level tires in Maui. Most of those guys run Control-level tires by default. The S-Works tires really are a "win-or-go-home" level of tire. It's lighter but the sidewalls are definitely thinner.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Choice: Xterra Maui? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what does everyone thing about the storm control?? i was thinking the storm control 2.0 front and rear???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Fast Traks will be a good tire if the course stays dry. I ran those in 2015, a dry course and then last year ran the Maxxis Ikon/Ardent Race 2.25 combo which again were great on a dry course. I didn't race in the mudfest of 2016 but based on that I did take a set of Storm Control 1.8's just in case (luckily they weren't needed).
Quote Reply
Re: Tire Choice: Xterra Maui? [iainbanks1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done Maui twice ...
Maxxis Icon
Ive been running these tires for years now. And really cannot recommend them enough.

Sad to miss it this year. Love that race/event...
have a blast

daved
Quote Reply