Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [rubberbullet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rubberbullet wrote:
Some really interesting thoughts on this thread. I had always thought that the rule of thumb was that bike "fitness" transferred to the run but not vice versa (ie a run focus would deplete bike fitness), so this thread has somewhat corrected that view.

Most people who say this are referring to performance within a triathlon situation.
Being a stronger cyclist allows you to run well afterwards because you won't have zapped your legs before T2.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
I would fall somewhere in-between the other replies and in line with your thought process. If your bike fitness is solid and based off substantial volume, inclusive of intensity (e.g. 2 X 20 workouts) ramping running and cutting bike volume (maintaining intensity) is a good plan. Cannibalizing your run workouts with a weekly 2 X 20 is not something I believe would occur with some timing of your run mix program and the assumption that you coming down from solid bike volume/intensity.

I often gear up for a late spring marathon and cut back on my biking volume significantly, but maintain my weekly trainer intervals and some easy recovery rides. I hit all my historic markers for run fitness in preparation (about 8 weeks of work) and then start ramping back up the bike volume about 2 weeks after the marathon. Within the 3rd and 4th week I am hitting previous years markers for bike power on certain workouts and run fitness was sustained initially. One may argue that this could be due to my level of bike fitness is not maximized, but in the context of my VO2 and gains over years, it is an earned value.

I agree with Dev, that the long ride fitness/adaptation takes a little longer to come back.

Be aware that once you ramp back up the bike/swim the carry-over of the "new" run fitness will not be a 100%. This may take more than one year of a discipline specific work block to reap fully. This is not to discourage you more about expectations; if you have a substantial history in one of the disciplines and it is relatively strong, it will likely always be the most responsive and forgiving in terms of ramping up on short notice or relative maintenance over a lull. Do not get upset if you give back some of your new found run fitness when you are into a full tri program. You should have a gain, but there will likely be some regression. Accepting this as part of the overall package and not trying to replicate markers of the workouts in a run specific block while in-season tri training will be helpful.

Cheers!

Thanks for the insight. Im thinking of sticking with my weekly 2x20 - I do them a day or two after my long run, the same day I have a short recovery-run (one of three weekly short runs in barryP). This way the short run is done as a transition-run right off the 2x20. I've been doing this for some time alteady, and like it!

For me the only reason I can see for ditching the 2x20 all together would be if ny run volume gets so high that the 2x20 interferes to much with my running. At my current volume - this is not an issue - and I dont dare to go from 30-35k pr week to 60+ in just a couple of weeks - Im guessing that sort if ramp-up should take months instead. Maybe i should considered doing the 2x20 only every second week once i pass 50-60k pr week?

I realize that running may recline when i ramp up bike again, but the goal is to get faster in total - which i hope I'll be:)
Quote Reply
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
atasic wrote:
Cycling intensity kills run speed and high run volume kills cycling FTP. They mutually cannibalize each other. 2x20min will hinder your run progress if you are doing it at 90-100% FTP.

Anyone else have this experience? I certainly get the fact that the 2x20 will eat into recovery time, but I've always felt that recovery from run-training is not so much my aerocib-system in general- its more of loosing any calf/muscle-soreness. I dont feel that cycling at intensity has hindered this sort of recovery as much, but I appreciate some more insight into this.

it depends if youre on a real advanced running plan, like 2 -3 speed/quality running sessions a week, if not, a 2x20 at one hour all out pace is not going to hurt you, if youre only do one running speedwork session a week, you can do a 2x20 with no problem, thats pretty much what i do every winter, one 2x20, one 1x20-30 at one hour pace, then one easy ride, then run about 50 miles with one 4 - 5 mile run at slightly faster than half marathon pace, two runs of about 10 miles a little slower than full marathon pace, one long run, and a couple easy 4 -5 milers, so basically one major bike speed workout and one major run speed workout, i can do 1:20 half, 2:55 full off that in an April race, then start biking more and ready for tri starting in june
Quote Reply
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
ktm520 wrote:
I would fall somewhere in-between the other replies and in line with your thought process. If your bike fitness is solid and based off substantial volume, inclusive of intensity (e.g. 2 X 20 workouts) ramping running and cutting bike volume (maintaining intensity) is a good plan. Cannibalizing your run workouts with a weekly 2 X 20 is not something I believe would occur with some timing of your run mix program and the assumption that you coming down from solid bike volume/intensity.

I often gear up for a late spring marathon and cut back on my biking volume significantly, but maintain my weekly trainer intervals and some easy recovery rides. I hit all my historic markers for run fitness in preparation (about 8 weeks of work) and then start ramping back up the bike volume about 2 weeks after the marathon. Within the 3rd and 4th week I am hitting previous years markers for bike power on certain workouts and run fitness was sustained initially. One may argue that this could be due to my level of bike fitness is not maximized, but in the context of my VO2 and gains over years, it is an earned value.

I agree with Dev, that the long ride fitness/adaptation takes a little longer to come back.

Be aware that once you ramp back up the bike/swim the carry-over of the "new" run fitness will not be a 100%. This may take more than one year of a discipline specific work block to reap fully. This is not to discourage you more about expectations; if you have a substantial history in one of the disciplines and it is relatively strong, it will likely always be the most responsive and forgiving in terms of ramping up on short notice or relative maintenance over a lull. Do not get upset if you give back some of your new found run fitness when you are into a full tri program. You should have a gain, but there will likely be some regression. Accepting this as part of the overall package and not trying to replicate markers of the workouts in a run specific block while in-season tri training will be helpful.

Cheers!

Thanks for the insight. Im thinking of sticking with my weekly 2x20 - I do them a day or two after my long run, the same day I have a short recovery-run (one of three weekly short runs in barryP). This way the short run is done as a transition-run right off the 2x20. I've been doing this for some time alteady, and like it!

For me the only reason I can see for ditching the 2x20 all together would be if ny run volume gets so high that the 2x20 interferes to much with my running. At my current volume - this is not an issue - and I dont dare to go from 30-35k pr week to 60+ in just a couple of weeks - Im guessing that sort if ramp-up should take months instead. Maybe i should considered doing the 2x20 only every second week once i pass 50-60k pr week?

I realize that running may recline when i ramp up bike again, but the goal is to get faster in total - which i hope I'll be:)

I say you ditch the 2x20 min entirely.

Here is why. You will be on a run focus. You need to mentally shift your brain to run focus and forget about losing bike fitness. You only have so much mental horsepower to spread between work, family and training. 2x20 min just distracts from the overall mental focus units you have to apply across life. Don't underestimate how much mental energy all this training takes. It's not just all physical, you need all the mental horsepower to focus on the run focus, so that when you arrive to key run training sessions, you are mentally fresh to deal with that training in addition to physically fresh.

One of the biggest challenges to age group triathlon success is arriving at the daily start line of training ready to perform, having moved life out of the way for that block of time. This takes mental energy. As soon as training is done, the next challenge of the age grouper is to shut off the athlete brain and turn on the "everyday man" brain and have physical and mental energy to perform in day to day life. We can't be depleted from training and non perform in day to day life. Why? Because if we are impaired and slow in getting everything else done, we lose support, and we are slower at everything we do, which means the chance of showing up for the next workout ready to roll becomes lower.

In the training logs that I get to see for the athletes in my group, the guys who hit their workouts are mentally together. They get EVERYTHING done, not just workouts. In the world of fighter pilots or sales guys, they are "closers". If you are going to do a run focus, then do the run focus. 2x20 min is just a distraction and you'll be watering down the run focus. The cycling fitness will come back fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:

Cheers!

Related to what you are saying, I will share a conversation I had around 20 years ago with Thomas Hellriegel (yes name dropping, but please read). I asked him how he trained for the bike in German winters. He replied something along the lines of, "I would go crazy training for the bike in German winters. I can't deal with the cold and I hate the trainer, so I just run 100K per week and swim 30K per week" (the number for running was exactly that, swimming may have been more, but I don't recall). "Sometimes I ride my commuter bike to the pool if it does not rain". Then we spring comes I go to the Canary Islands and bike 1000K per week (he was not kidding about this part) and keep riding a lot all spring and summer and reduce the swim and bike. Then before Kona I have to run 100K per week again" (he did not elaborate how much swim and bike he was doing in his Kona builds, but we know that the biking was in the 1000K range too because he was a notorious overtrainer.

This was around the time he won Kona in 1997.

Keep in mind, he'd do a bunch of IM's along the way to Kona....often Lanzarote + Roth, Roth + Penticton, or Roth+Lake Placid and he made it sound like he would not do another run build for any of those.

What is interesting about this is that once the run block is done, unless you are racing all out 5K races or even Olympic tris, you can literally put the run in maintenance mode for a long time and have zero impact on your half IM or full IM times. If you really need to run super fast in an IM (like Thomas had to) another final run build MAY be needed, but you can milk a run block for a long time while building back the bike endurance.

Where we live in Canada with my crew, we have had a ton of great PB's spending the winter focused on run block + swim + short trainer intensity and spending the spring and summer ramping the bike miles when the weather is nice. Guys are always surprised how quickly they build from not much winter biking to fairly long and decent intensity outdoor rides. And to tell you the truth, I think Hellriegel had it right. Your brain would explode even worse in Canadian winter than in German winter. Winter is an awesome time for a big run block also from an enjoyment and sustainability angle. Not everyone is a front of pack STer and needs to get enjoyment from sport and mentally positive.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While I get the example, I do not want to be like Thomas Hellriegel, and therefore don't share his goals/philosophy. I doubt the OP or myself is so burned out over the winter and mentally I personally like the trainer and do not feel that a session of intervals once or biweekly detracts all that much from a run focused block; for me. There could be a mental component in there as well as I feel that I am reducing bike loss; ymmv. Maybe since this is his first first go-round with a run specific build, he should do your way, but at the end of the day I think we are picking the fly shit out of the pepper. He sounds to me to have a solid thought process and can always reduce a variety of the metrics of any bike training he is doing as he ramps up; including at some point exclusively running e.g. last 4 weeks of the block.

To the OP; what you are suggesting is exactly what I do over winter intervals; a easy recovery run as a brick or later that day. The next day is usually a normal run or even a long run, but I hold off on tempo or speed work for another day.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can mostly drop cycling for those 3-4-5 months of run focus, and get it back fairly quickly (4-8 weeks) once you start riding regularly again.

2x20 is a mentally draining workout. I almost never do those inside, or outside for that matter.

I prefer to do a short (20-30 min total) interval workout every now and again, to try to maintain a little of that top-end oomph on the bike.
(for me, it's the first thing to go, and the last to come back)

And/or, I'll sometimes do more of a steady workout with 1-2 blocks of riding at like .85 (HIM race pace) for 15 minutes, with 5 min w/u and c/d.
And sometimes, if I'm just feeling cooked, I'll spin stupid-easy for 20-30 mins, just as a nice recovery workout, and to keep my legs used to pedaling (lightly).

The whole point is, you really want to minimize what you're doing on the bike, to best capitalize on all the run training.
A run focus block where you're running 5-6-7x a week, with a L run, maybe some tempo, and lots of easy filler runs, doesn't leave a ton of time or energy to try to do much other training, IF you want to get the most out of the running.

I've used this very successfully to improve my running; no reason why you couldn't too.
Run, Forrest, run!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Here is why. You will be on a run focus. You need to mentally shift your brain to run focus and forget about losing bike fitness. You only have so much mental horsepower to spread between work, family and training. 2x20 min just distracts from the overall mental focus units you have to apply across life. Don't underestimate how much mental energy all this training takes. It's not just all physical, you need all the mental horsepower to focus on the run focus, so that when you arrive to key run training sessions, you are mentally fresh to deal with that training in addition to physically fresh.

One of the biggest challenges to age group triathlon success is arriving at the daily start line of training ready to perform, having moved life out of the way for that block of time. This takes mental energy. As soon as training is done, the next challenge of the age grouper is to shut off the athlete brain and turn on the "everyday man" brain and have physical and mental energy to perform in day to day life. We can't be depleted from training and non perform in day to day life. Why? Because if we are impaired and slow in getting everything else done, we lose support, and we are slower at everything we do, which means the chance of showing up for the next workout ready to roll becomes lower.

In the training logs that I get to see for the athletes in my group, the guys who hit their workouts are mentally together. They get EVERYTHING done, not just workouts. In the world of fighter pilots or sales guys, they are "closers". If you are going to do a run focus, then do the run focus. 2x20 min is just a distraction and you'll be watering down the run focus. The cycling fitness will come back fast.

I totally get the idea that once I do a run block - I should do it properly and not just 90%-ish in fear of loosing bike-fitness. This is my number one priority - to get my running to a level as high as possible without any hickups, injuries etc. Given that i currently "only" run 35 (will be close to 40) kilometers pr week - I feel that I still have pretty much free training-time. 35-40k running is about 3.5 hrs pr week, which leaves me with plenty free time to spend. Following Barry P means I have 3 short runs pr week, and currently my short runs are so short I would like to get something else out of that training-day as well:)

As things sit right now, I feel that I both have the mental and physical freshness to do my weekly 2x20. I´ve read alot about 2x20´s and how taxing people feel they are. In my experience, once you get "into it" -(i.e. have sufficient bike-fitness and gotten used to the feeling of pushing for 2x20), 2x20 is not really that bad. Actually - right now I look forward to my 2x20´s! :) I am probably running them in the lower end of the spectrum (big difference from doing 2x20 @ 92-3-4% to 96-7-8", which some do!), but I have gotten into a rythm where I ride my 2x20 pretty steadily at around 285w, which feels pretty allright (guesstimating my FTP at somewhere right above 300-310w right now, so this puts me a little under 95% for 2x20). I make a point for myself not to ride them so hard that I really have to go into the darkest places of the mind to complete them, and so far this works ok:)

I totally see that once I get to a point where my run-milage is higher, I could feel that the 2x20 is more taxing (both physically and mentally!). I´m currently leaning towards keeping my 2x20 session once a week until I feel it is hard to keep up with my run-milage. Currently I feel like I need to really hold back on running, because my head would like to run more miles than I know I should, considering my historic milage :) (I guess this is how every training-probram works - eager at the start and the going gets tough somewhere down the line!). If I get to 50k-60k a week and need to drop the 2x20 I will do so (and I´ll let you know Dev so you can go "told you so":))

I also get the point of balancing training and work/family - and having 2 kids (2+4 yrs!) and a full dayjob this is the hardest part for me (finding the time I mean!). However, as long as I have a rythm where I can find the sufficient time (which for me usually means somewhere 8-10hrs/week), I kinda feel that I am overly-motivated to work out! I dont know if anyone else can relate to the feeling, but I kinda feel that my training is MY time, so once I am into my lycra I really feel energetic and wanting to get "spent", knowing that once I´m done its back to work/house-chores/kids, etc :) For me the most important life-lesson sports has tought me is to be 101% present in what your doing right now - regardless of its working, cleaning your house, hangin with the wife, of (most important ofc!) working out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
While I get the example, I do not want to be like Thomas Hellriegel, and therefore don't share his goals/philosophy. I doubt the OP or myself is so burned out over the winter and mentally I personally like the trainer and do not feel that a session of intervals once or biweekly detracts all that much from a run focused block; for me. There could be a mental component in there as well as I feel that I am reducing bike loss; ymmv. Maybe since this is his first first go-round with a run specific build, he should do your way, but at the end of the day I think we are picking the fly shit out of the pepper. He sounds to me to have a solid thought process and can always reduce a variety of the metrics of any bike training he is doing as he ramps up; including at some point exclusively running e.g. last 4 weeks of the block.

To the OP; what you are suggesting is exactly what I do over winter intervals; a easy recovery run as a brick or later that day. The next day is usually a normal run or even a long run, but I hold off on tempo or speed work for another day.

Cheers!

Thanks - this is what I tried to express in my reply to Dev as well. I totally get his point if you reach the point that the run-training is up to a point where it requires 60-70-80 % of my TOTAL training-time, but I don´t think its a good idea for me to get to that point too fast. I have never been a runner, and i guess ramping from 30 to 60k pr week would be a recepie for injury if I did it overnight.

I don´t know if I´m right on this, but I feel that bikers (like myself) have a pretty strong aerobic engine that could potentially handle a lot of the stress resulting from running alot, but I dont think my legs/calves could!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I totally get the idea that once I do a run block - I should do it properly and not just 90%-ish in fear of loosing bike-fitness. This is my number one priority - to get my running to a level as high as possible without any hickups, injuries etc. Given that i currently "only" run 35 (will be close to 40) kilometers pr week - I feel that I still have pretty much free training-time. 35-40k running is about 3.5 hrs pr week, which leaves me with plenty free time to spend. Following Barry P means I have 3 short runs pr week, and currently my short runs are so short I would like to get something else out of that training-day as well:)

As things sit right now, I feel that I both have the mental and physical freshness to do my weekly 2x20. I´ve read alot about 2x20´s and how taxing people feel they are. In my experience, once you get "into it" -(i.e. have sufficient bike-fitness and gotten used to the feeling of pushing for 2x20), 2x20 is not really that bad. Actually - right now I look forward to my 2x20´s! :) I am probably running them in the lower end of the spectrum (big difference from doing 2x20 @ 92-3-4% to 96-7-8", which some do!), but I have gotten into a rythm where I ride my 2x20 pretty steadily at around 285w, which feels pretty allright (guesstimating my FTP at somewhere right above 300-310w right now, so this puts me a little under 95% for 2x20). I make a point for myself not to ride them so hard that I really have to go into the darkest places of the mind to complete them, and so far this works ok:)

I totally see that once I get to a point where my run-milage is higher, I could feel that the 2x20 is more taxing (both physically and mentally!). I´m currently leaning towards keeping my 2x20 session once a week until I feel it is hard to keep up with my run-milage. Currently I feel like I need to really hold back on running, because my head would like to run more miles than I know I should, considering my historic milage :) (I guess this is how every training-probram works - eager at the start and the going gets tough somewhere down the line!). If I get to 50k-60k a week and need to drop the 2x20 I will do so (and I´ll let you know Dev so you can go "told you so":))

I also get the point of balancing training and work/family - and having 2 kids (2+4 yrs!) and a full dayjob this is the hardest part for me (finding the time I mean!). However, as long as I have a rythm where I can find the sufficient time (which for me usually means somewhere 8-10hrs/week), I kinda feel that I am overly-motivated to work out! I dont know if anyone else can relate to the feeling, but I kinda feel that my training is MY time, so once I am into my lycra I really feel energetic and wanting to get "spent", knowing that once I´m done its back to work/house-chores/kids, etc :) For me the most important life-lesson sports has tought me is to be 101% present in what your doing right now - regardless of its working, cleaning your house, hangin with the wife, of (most important ofc!) working out!

OK, I see your points. What I would do then is keep the 2x20 for now and as you ramp mileage and intensity, maybe go down to 1x20 min then eventually just 45 min easy spin. At some point you can replace the 2x20 min cycling with 8x1K or 6x1 mile Daniels cruise intervals with 1 min easy recovery which are to be done at 60 min threshold speed, so the recovery from this is SUPPOSED to be pretty quick assuming you built up your run base. Aerobically this run workout should deliver the same or better cardio load than 2x20 min biking. But, you have gradually build up your run base and volume to handle that. The injury risk may be high if you're not accustomed to that type of running so ease in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
atasic wrote:
Cycling intensity kills run speed and high run volume kills cycling FTP. They mutually cannibalize each other. 2x20min will hinder your run progress if you are doing it at 90-100% FTP.

Anyone else have this experience? I certainly get the fact that the 2x20 will eat into recovery time, but I've always felt that recovery from run-training is not so much my aerocib-system in general- its more of loosing any calf/muscle-soreness. I dont feel that cycling at intensity has hindered this sort of recovery as much, but I appreciate some more insight into this.

yup I am doing the same thing this winter - focusing on the RUN. I feel that cycling distorts your body in ways harmful to running and for postural balance (interaction of legs/back/core). I was at the bike shop discussing this and watching cyclists all hunched over putting the coals to the pedals in group rides this morning.

IMO for optimal running you need to be tall, perfectly aligned and have range in the hip flexors so you can drive energy from the legs stacked & backward - for propulsion. Kind of like swimming actually. Cycling does the exact opposite - it creates tight hip flexors and screws up postural alignment. And it doesn't do much for building the spring leg action required for running. I cycled my way right into Achilles injury on my bad ankle actually.

Love to be out on the bike so I got an EVO/Bionx electric bike, chipped it for commuting, easy spin, upright position & fast! No leg/back/core overload so I can "save" my legs for running.

Anyway start back into things after being sick I did a morning 5K fast walk today to build my posture and hip mobility. I feel that walking is better in creating range of motion (legs center-line back).

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
lovegoat wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

OK, I see your points. What I would do then is keep the 2x20 for now and as you ramp mileage and intensity, maybe go down to 1x20 min then eventually just 45 min easy spin. At some point you can replace the 2x20 min cycling with 8x1K or 6x1 mile Daniels cruise intervals with 1 min easy recovery which are to be done at 60 min threshold speed, so the recovery from this is SUPPOSED to be pretty quick assuming you built up your run base. Aerobically this run workout should deliver the same or better cardio load than 2x20 min biking. But, you have gradually build up your run base and volume to handle that. The injury risk may be high if you're not accustomed to that type of running so ease in.

Thanks - I like this suggestion. I think that my outcome from this discussion is I should not worry about bike fitness, and drop/scale back the 2x20 the second it impacts my running. One thing is milage, which is adressed above. An other issue would be introducing intensity to my runs, which I plan on pushing back for a while still. I will try to get to my goal-milage/week before doing any real intensity. I might do some 20 min threshold-sessions once every second week, but not to much while i ramp up milage.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
lovegoat wrote:
atasic wrote:

yup I am doing the same thing this winter - focusing on the RUN. I feel that cycling distorts your body in ways harmful to running and for postural balance (interaction of legs/back/core). I was at the bike shop discussing this and watching cyclists all hunched over putting the coals to the pedals in group rides this morning.

IMO for optimal running you need to be tall, perfectly aligned and have range in the hip flexors so you can drive energy from the legs stacked & backward - for propulsion. Kind of like swimming actually. Cycling does the exact opposite - it creates tight hip flexors and screws up postural alignment. And it doesn't do much for building the spring leg action required for running.

Either I am lucky in being quite flexible, or I havent yet achieved the level of running required to fully underet this problem. I've always felt that the problem og cycling/running combined, was that cycling would make my thighs feel heavy, slow and "chunky", and that my legs would shut down after 5-10k running no matter my aerobic fitness. However I personally have felt this has been highly trainable (and probably my feeling was a result of me having 0 run fitness). Now I dont really feel that running/cycling is detrimental to the other - for me its more of a question of how big/existing any crossover effects are, and how recovery is affected across the two sports
Quote Reply
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
lovegoat wrote:
atasic wrote:

IMO for optimal running you need to be tall, perfectly aligned and have range in the hip flexors so you can drive energy from the legs stacked & backward - for propulsion. Kind of like swimming actually. Cycling does the exact opposite - it creates tight hip flexors and screws up postural alignment. And it doesn't do much for building the spring leg action required for running. I cycled my way right into Achilles injury on my bad ankle actually.

Love to be out on the bike so I got an EVO/Bionx electric bike, chipped it for commuting, easy spin, upright position & fast! No leg/back/core overload so I can "save" my legs for running.

Anyway start back into things after being sick I did a morning 5K fast walk today to build my posture and hip mobility. I feel that walking is better in creating range of motion (legs center-line back).

You bring up many good points, and I feel the older I get, the more the points you bring up are affecting my running, while my biking literally has not changed since my early 30's (racing 50-54 now).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Happen to read this the other day that kinda solidified my observations. I have deeply ingrained postural issues from 20+ years of heavy on skating, water-skiing, and over-biking. Swimming is fantastic for thoracic and shoulder flexibility but can't correct or even aggravates a pelvic imbalance. I have been doing Yoga for few years trying to at least stay on top of the chronic issues.

I never really got a chance to put a solid run block together due to my ankle & Achilles problems. So for the races I've done solid swim/bike and the run is a slow torture fest. The reality is the sport is triatha-run. The swim and bike are kinda for show.

Anyway much like Jacob here - anything but walking. In a similar boat however, recovery mode after forcibly "correcting" defects in my pelvic musculature doing some barefootin' w/deep-water start for fun.

<http://www.cyclingnews.com/...-unspeakable-things/

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Winter run Focus [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

As I am going along with my winter run focus, I keep asking my self more questions on how to approach this. I have never consistently run more than 30-40k pr week. I checked my trainingpeaks at the beginning of my run-focus (about 4-5 weeks ago), and my average for the last 180 days was 33k a week. I had a couple of high - weeks at 50-60k (2-3 of those), a lot ranging from 20 - 40, and some from 0 - 15 (really not consistent, iow). I have never been prone to injury, but as I have tried to express in my previous posts I still want to approach this kinda easy and not start getting any injuries.

Being about 5 weeks in, I have been consistently running 32, 35, 40, 42, 53k a week. This week I am planning around 50k. The big jump last week was due to me racing a half marathon. This race made me think: how often would you advise me to race this winter? there are a lot of fun 10k and half mary/full mary races in my area during the winter, and I would enjoy participating in some (alot?) of these. Obviously I would race mostly the 10k's, but maybe the occasional half mary like I did last week. I build my run-program around Barry P, and as of today I mostly run all my runs at a slow / easy pace (except for the races I do/ will do in future!) Should i keep the racing to a minimum, or would it be ok to do quite a bit of racing? I feel that the racing makes me able to track my progress, which I would otherwise want to track in training by running harder (I am probably one of those guys prone to running to hard, just to "see what I can do"..)
Quote Reply
Re: Winter run Focus [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to resurrect such an old topic but the run focus winter plan is something I am contemplating as well.

I'm very curious about your experience. My running is my weakest part and i need to improve a lot. I'm planning to follow the barryP plan this winter and was wondering if your approach worked for you.
Quote Reply
Re: How fast is bike fitness lost? (winter-run-focus) [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But that could be based much more on your training methodology. I actually have gained bike strength the last 2 winters through some degree of structured training.

nchristi wrote:
In my experience, winter bike training has never made any difference. I've had some winter where I tried to maintain some level of biking, and other where I didn't touch the bike for two months. I can't say that I've noticed any difference come April/May.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Winter run Focus [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I am not who you needed feedback from but I have used the BarryP plan over winters with great success. I will say that I am a pretty decent runner to start with but getting 6 runs in a week helped a lot. For me running is the easiest to do in the winter since I run outside in pretty much all weather here in Chicago. There are very few days when I stay on the treadmill. Let me know if you have specific questions I can help with!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Winter run Focus [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm curious how much fitness of the run focus will last after i've started to incorporate my swim and bike training again. I can do the barryP program for 3 months and after that i'll have to go to 3 times a week of running.

I'm just not sure if 3 months of volume is better than keeping some speedwork in and lower volume.
Last edited by: IvarAlmere: Sep 26, 18 10:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next