Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A Triathlon in China : My Experiences
Quote | Reply
I was meant to send this article last month, but only managed to do so now, off season: here goes

This article is not as much as a race report but my experiences with the race organization. Compared to the West, the triathlon scene is relatively infant where triathlon is new and the race environment.

After many years of competing locally in South East Asia, I decided to add a different perspective into my sport. In late October, I signed up for the race in HangZhou, China. It is a key national tourist city and picturesque all year round. The race took place in HangZhou’s West Lake, a large freshwater lake is surrounded by hills and gardens located right in the heart of the city. It also presented an extremely rare chance to swim in this attraction which is otherwise illegal.

I touched down in Shanghai Pudong International Airport & made my way via a 3hr coach ride to HangZhou. I managed to get around China adequately well as I had basic knowledge of their local language. The reception hospitality of the race organizers was good as I was picked up from the coach station and upon arrival at the hotel, registration was thorough and personal.

On the morning before the race, we (overseas participants) set off for the start point for the race route inspection. The short journey was peppered with less than accommodating traffic of China. Eventually we reached the race site in one piece to test the water and familiarize with the bike course. Thankfully the entire cycle route running round the perimeter of the lake will be closed to traffic during the race.

The bike inspection that afternoon did present some unexpected hiccups. My beamed Softride, was initially judged illegal by the CTSA (China Triathlon Sports Association) officials even I was a Age Grouper. The reasons bordered on being illogical, one being the lack of a seat tube. Another official pointed out that my Tri-bars with aero-mounted shifters would constitute to an unfair advantage and protests will arise if I won. I reminded them that the ITU rules concern Elite and Age Groupers were different. Then they went on to point out that my aero position would be dangerous. Another overseas competitor’s MTB was also initially judged to be illegal. I guess that in a country where conformity matter a lot, my bike was a square peg in a round hole.

What was most preposterous was that they affirmed that they followed ITU regulations but the rules are different. Duh? Probably this was due to their poor command of the English language. With my explanations falling to deaf ears, my heart sinking and the prospect that my 5000km journey lugging my bike and gear will turn out to be a mere sigh-seeing tour.

The organizers then turned to an ITU official who accordingly clarified the rules and I re-gained entry into the race.

I found this incident to be a mockery of ITU rules that the organizer claimed to comprehend the rules. I wasn’t sure if they were plain ignorant or biased for their own local competitors. I guess in a country which just opened it’s doors to the world, anything that looks different is considered illegal.

That evening was the pre-race dinner presentation. The speeches were length and boring which was a stark contrast to the buffet dinner. The spread was attacked with reckless abandon like by vultures or hyenas. Probably maybe it’s not often the mainland Chinese get to see such a good spread.

Race day! 45mins after the elites, the age groupers toed the line. *Bang*, we’re off. Within my first front crawl strokes, I noticed most local competitors contained breast-strokers. This made drafting alongside trickier, avoiding being kicked in the ribs and the lack of water bubbles to follow. During the 4 rounds of cycle and one round of running, public support was overwhelming, turning out in their sheer masses. Numerous volunteers and uniformed personnel lined the roads.

Overall I enjoyed myself during the race, however during the prize awards dinner I discovered that my name was nowhere to be found on the result sheets. Based on my own timings, I should be placed 6th in age group. However my results were not reflected in the result sheets, not even a DNS, DQ or DNF. I brought up the discrepancy to the race judge who promised to look into it. Now I’m in the comforts of home & after emailing, the race organizers didn’t reply. I guess they wash their hands after the event’s completion. In an ex-communist country which opened its doors, bureaucracy still has deep roots. The organizers probably did what they do for a living not for the love of things. Anyway the 50RMB (US$6) was really a minor fee compared to the other races I joined.

*You're no good to me dead*
Quote Reply
Re: A Triathlon in China : My Experiences [BobaFett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the post. Very interesting report, particularly for those of us who have never been to China. Not without frustration but you have to like the entry fee price.
Quote Reply
Re: A Triathlon in China : My Experiences [BobaFett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read your report with a great deal of interest as we visited the area in May of 02. It is a lovely area around the lake and compared to other cities on our tour I enjoyed HangZhou more than most. We, the wife and I, did our morning run down to the lake and along the waterfront from the hotel every morning. On the first morning we were totally blown away by the number of people out doing Tai CHi, Kung Fu, meditation, ball room dancing etc. All at 5.30am. One very enlightening moment occured when we turned around to be greeted by Starbucks across from the lake front. Kind of symbolises the changes in China.

Thanks again