Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stem Cell Treatment - Tell me about your experience [MeggieB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MeggieB wrote:
Hi there-

If anyone is still reading, LOL, I’m curious if there is a coach, or a protocol for someone with OA for running. Because, maybe, just maybe I’ll try again since it looks like IM killed the only two races on the east coast that offered Aquabike options: Maine and Quassy.

Thanks for reading and good luck if you move forward with the procedure.

Meg

Hi Meg,

Bad part about OA, and attempting to run, is its all up to each individual and how much pain they are willing to tolerate. I know you realize that but others reading may not.

I have two friends who both had partial (or "triathlete") knee replacements done. Both are back to running and cycling. One is actually doing ultramarathons again, and faster than ever. His doc told him "you are gonna wear that knee out too soon" and my friend was like "doc, I'd rather run now, as a relatively young man, and save my hobbling around for when I'm old". He's in his mid 50s and figures if he can run until he's 60 then he has been blessed (before the partial knee replacements, he could neither bike nor run).

When looking at knee replacement type, few people can have the partial replacement. As far as running again (and possible knee replacement) is concerned, find out where your cartilage damage is located within your knee. In a simplified view, there are three cartilage "compartments" of concern in your knee. Behind the knee cap, end of the femur, and top of the shin bone. If your cartilage damage is limited to one compartment then your chances of being a candidate for the partial replacement are increased. Not saying you should (or are) a candidate for knee replacement. Just thoughts to consider down the road.
Quote Reply

Prev Next