Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Motives: Running away from something? Running to something? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, either I'm a freak or you dated some goofy chicks. My dad and I are like the best of friends and talk on the phone many times a week (mom too, but dad and I have more to talk about). My motives?

1. I get to travel the world

2. Hanging out with my friends

3. Get to ride my bike and compete (I don't really like the roadie vibe)

4. Because I can and there are some who think I can't

5. Meeting totally hottie pro tri guys (see other thread)

6. I have people to work out with or have a beer with anywhere I travel for work or pleasure

I just spent four days in San Diego with a bunch of triathletes and it was a big love-fest. Fast, slow, fit, not so fit, everyone really likes each other and has genuine respect for each other. What else is there?

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Motives: Running away from something? Running to something? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spot on. Do you remember the Michael Landon made for TV movie where his evil mom hangs his wet bed sheets out his window to shame him into not wetting at night? He races home from school every day to take down the sheets before other kids see them. He races right into the Olympics. Those who fail to study history are doomed to get it from Hollywood.
Quote Reply
Re: Motives: Running away from something? Running to something? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Question,

As an Ex-college baseball player, I've always been involved in athletics. My family and I get along very well and without there support I could not be what I am today.

I tend to enjoy the company of tri-athletes, runners, cyclists prmiarily because they are highly motivated individuals that deny mediocrity. 99% of the endurance athletes I have had the fortune of meeting have been great people.

When I am stressed there is nothing finer then a crisp 10 miler in the woods, trees around me, birds singing, the soft earth guiding me and nature flowing thru my system. After I'm done there is nothing I can't handle.

We all have issues, no one is perfect, but when we run, bike, swim or move or bodies, we are not sedentary, we are strong, we are not whining, we are doing, we are not accepting the status quo, we are kicking it's ass!

This past summer, my girlfriend and I were running thru a local park, beautiful summer day when we run past a 10 to 13 year old boy with M.S. struggling to walk down the trail on his crutches that will never be off his arms, he looks at his mom, looks at us and asks, "Great day to be outside?" I nearly broke down and cried with joy that this warrior was out there spreading positive vibes when he damn well knew that he could never run like we were. He didn't care, he was happy to be alive and moving his body. We all should be so brave and bold

Life is a gift! Live it
Quote Reply
Re: Motives: Running away from something? Running to something? - YES [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Youth runs toward fate, Wisdom runs away. Half-way between youth and Wisdom is a point called - Crisis. It is a point where fight or flight becomes less defined. It is where motive and motivation in (and of) itself IS something.
is this a quote from something? If not, I'll add this to the thread on favorite quotes from the forum.
Quote Reply
Re: Motives: Running away from something? Running to something? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run to something, but I've been trying and trying to get myself to enjoy the ride. That end isn't always the finish, but some goal. I engage in triathlons in general sort of as a proof to myself that I can do it(it being anything). I've got a fairly substantial stutter, so I end up doing Tri's and such to prove I'm more than that some kid who can't talk smoothly.
Quote Reply
Re: Motives: Running away from something? Running to something? - YES [brad in WA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, that's an original... but, I don't think it's that notable myself.

Joe Moya
Quote Reply

Prev Next