Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

heart rate monitor advice??
Quote | Reply
i'm looking to buy a heart rate monitor. what are people's experiences with different kinds? i know that polar is a pain because you have to send it to them to get a new battery. does anybody have experience with Sports Instruments (especially the ECG5) monitors? any others (timex, etc.)? i want one that can work while swimming. (do these exist?). and i really don't want to spend more than $130 or so. there are some polar and Sports Instruments ones on sale at different places.

thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate monitor advice?? [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had two Sports Instruments HRMs. Both of them cracked. The face cracks where the band attaches. It is a weakness in the design. I loved both of them functionally but they broke too easily. I will not buy another one until they fix the design. It must be a known problem because two of mine broke in the same place. I am currently using a Polar. Works fine.

Mike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I swim with my Polar. Wear it to work too and I've never had any problems. You can change the battery yourself or have a jeweler do it but it does void your warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate monitor advice?? [Herschel34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Wear it to work too"

--------------------

With all due respect, this might merit an inclusion in the tri geek hall of fame.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate monitor advice?? [mr. mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey I wear mine all the time also. I did not know thats Geeky!Thats why I always have one thats a watch......At least I am not measuring my HR like the one gentleman who posted on an earlier thread on wearing it while having sex.

seriosly to the poster though...I have a polar 120 that has all I need. my last polar had 14 months of training on it before I accidently destroyed it. Have a new one...You can always change the battery youself...$90-$95 at roadrunner sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
i know that polar is a pain because you have to send it to them to get a new battery.

Any watch shop can replace the battery. I sent mine in to Polar because it was corroded and I wanted them to tell me if it would be waterproof or not. If it couldn't be waterproof, I was going to just buy a new one.

They sent me a new watch and transmitter for the price of a battery replacement. That is far from a "pain" -- it's great service.

Anyway, I've always had Polars, and always the cheapest model that also has a chronograph. No worries from any of them. I just occasionally crush them in one mishap or another. I also have a Timex and it works fine, too.
Quote Reply
Re: heart rate monitor advice?? [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Polar will have a new REPLACEBLE and super comfy strap out next year called the wear-link. It's available now only with two of their M series the M-32 and M-52 I believe. It's really nice being almost all fabric with a little 1" square transmitter piece that snaps on in the front. It also has a REPLACEBLE battery! The only bummer unsnapping it takes a little practice. I was told the strap will be on sale by itself next year maybe Feb or so. On the battery replacement for the watches you can get most done at a normal watch shop but the batteries in the bigger 720/710/520/510 are a pain in the ass to locate and pricey too. It was easier and cheaper for me to send my 710 back.
Quote Reply