Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

QR CD0.1 Front Brake clearance...
Quote | Reply
I searched this forum and others and only found one reference to clearance issues on the front brake. That thread was 4+ years old.

So here it goes. I built up a new CD0.1 (size Small) for my gf this past week and I'm struggling with the front tire clearance. I have multiple wheelsets available and I'm running 700x25 on most of them. The rear is just fine, but the front is rubbing on the arch of the TRP aero brake. I swear I had it setup and braking hard, but with her first ride this morning, the tire was rubbing. I swapped out the front wheel with each of the others I had around the house and they all rubbed to different degrees. I put the stock front back on and we were off and riding, but I don't know if I'm relegated to 700x23/skinny wheels?

The website clearly says that the brakes have been updated to accommodate wider wheels, but perhaps not bigger tires? Or perhaps it accommodates just in the rear?

I sent an email to QR this morning via their website.

FYI - wheelsets include:
DA9000 C50s with Conti GP 4000 SII 700x25
Bontrager RXL TLR with R3 tubeless 700x25
Pacenti SL23 with Schwalbe One tubeless 700x25

They all rubbed. The RXLs almost cleared when I dropped pressure to 80psi and closed the brake tolerance to near zero (lifting the arch a bit)

Thoughts? Anyone successfully running 700x25 tires on the front of a CD0.1? If so, what am I missing?

Thanks!
Mike
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Front Brake clearance... [mjensen2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had very little clearance when running my Flo 60 with a 23mm Continental GP4000s on the front (washer removed and pads filed down a bit). The GP4000s is known to be a "tall" tire. Based on the 23mm, I wouldn't have even considered a 25mm from any brand.

I'm currently running 808 tubulars with 24mm Zipp Tangente SLSpeeds and have about the same clearance (again, washers removed and pads filed down)
Last edited by: BoKnowsT1D: Jul 31, 15 11:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a new cd0.1 small with Flo 60/90, Conti 4000, 23. I had to remove the washers, then file the pads down to a point where they are completely flat, no wear indicators left. The issue was worse on the front than on the back, but I did both.
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Front Brake clearance... [mjlrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone. The bontrager rxl with R3 is very close as is, so I will remove washers and see where it lands. It sounds like there is some hope.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just set up a small CD0.1 with Farsports wheels and a 23. The brake pads were near new, but I was able to get a reasonable install - but only b/c of the adjuster on the noodle. Better to grind the pads down a bit - even 1 mm on each side would be tremendously helpful. I'm surprised that the rear was OK - no way to micro adjust and, IMO, less clearance. My current setup gets some rear braking, but only at the extreme end of cable pull. Even worse, my brakes are poorly centered and adjusting the set screws on the arms fully in and fully out seems to have near zero effect on centering...frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue. Brought it back to LBS and the mechanic stated he was able to flip the brake which
gave more tire clearance. For reference, the top of the GP4000s 23mm tire was rubbing the underside of the
brake arms.

Hope this helps.

glenn
Quote Reply
Re: QR CD0.1 Front Brake clearance... [gaaugustine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I flipped the washers to the outside and that allowed me to readjust the brakes closer to the rims, which then raised the arch enough to clear the wheel/tire combo she usually uses.

Yesterday she put 50 miles on with her Bontrager RXL TLR wheels and the mounted R3 700x25 tubeless tires.

The braking power was good and she did a ton of climbing and descents.

All is good in our world. Now, I also agree about the Conti's. Mounted on my C50s and I don't think they will fit as is. But the above combo did work out well.

I appreciate all the feedback!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this thread, has anything changed in the last few years? Any one know of another front caliper that can be run to get more tire clearance at the arch when wider rims are run?

If not, what would be a fast, shorter (smaller diameter) tire today? With Bontrager rims I couldn't fit a 23mm GP4000s ii, but an old 23mm Michelin Pro2 would fit.
Last edited by: pappatho: Dec 23, 18 5:40
Quote Reply