Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Recommendations for tri/cycling shoes?
Quote | Reply
I assume the only real difference between tricycling and cycling shoes is that the tri shoes open up a bit wider to allow faster on/off. Is this correct?

Any recommendations of good bang for the buck? Any opinions on the Carnac TRS tri shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for tri/cycling shoes? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was looking for shoes this past winter - tri shoes are all about the faster on off with fewer straps, opening the right way and all that. i decided to stick with road, and i got the nike altea, which is seriously like a slipper/race flat with a carbon fiber sole. i love them so much. until i rode last week when it was like 20° out and i started hating the great ventilation...but the straps open the wrong way to take them off on the bike.

darrell
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for tri/cycling shoes? [hcswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Sidis = narrow, flexy yet comfortable sole

Shimano carbon = narrow, very stiff sole but good power xfer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the often over looked Diadora line. Great shoes even better soccer boots.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for tri/cycling shoes? [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone looked into mtn bike shoes? They are probably not as easy to get on or off, but the small amount of tread on the sole would allow you to run through transition a lot easier. (note, I cannot yet get into my shoes while riding, with them already clipped in)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SiDi T1s. Bought mine mid season. Put them on, thought for sure they were too small. Thought about returning them right away for a larger pair, but put on the cleats and went for a ride anyway. Man, are they nice. I have wide feet and my toes seemed a bit cramped, but walking is not a good indicator of cycling shoe fit and the straps allow for a large amount of adjustment for width - just what this knowledgeable forum suggested long ago in a couple of threads.

I think there is another major difference in the two types of shoes and that is riding in wet feet. Tri shoes are well ventilated and the inside is made to accommodate your feet in T1. Just another consideration.

Only one complaint. I purchased mine when they went on sale and they sent me the World Championship edition - white with the rainbows across the straps. I get quite a bit of flack from my tri group, but that's OK. I would go with the carbon sole that was has come out since I bought mine, but for $65 how could I go wrong.

CH
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, one of the most important features of tri versus road shoes is that the straps pull from the outside to the inside. As such, when you pull your feet out of the shoes on the way to T2, the straps will not be inclined to flap into your chain ring. While I personally never had this happen when i used road shoes for my first year of du/tri, the possibility was more than enough for me to get shoes with tri straps. I have Sidi T1's and love them.

-d
Quote Reply
Re: Recommendations for tri/cycling shoes? [DB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recommend the PI SLR's. Great shoe and super comfy for training in or if you put your shoes on before leaving transition. However, trying to get them on with wet feet while attached to the bike is a bit of a hassle due to the snug, slipper-like fit. I'll be racing (Olympic distance) in Shimano TR or Carnacs next year.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carnac TRS 6

I got a pair of these in the spring... shopped around and ended up finding them for around $150. They're my first pair of tri shoes (or cycling shoes for that matter). So far... so good. I haven't had any problems with them - they fit fine - don't cause blisters (even with wet feet and no socks). I have them set up for speedplay (which I also love). I can't say enough good things about them. But, then... I haven't tried other pairs of shoes so I can't compare.
Quote Reply
Fit fit fit [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the major shoe companies make a tri shoe it seems. You need to try on as many as possible. I don't fit in Carnacs very well at all. Sidis seem made for my foot. Nashbar has some Titans at $99. That is a pretty good price on a three strap shoe. I noticed the E-bay has tri shoes at cheap prices, but you really need to know your size.
Like others have mentioned about bike fit, shoe
fit is very important. G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see that no one has recomended the Shimano tri shoe. I have them and I love them. I haven't used too many shoes, but I really like these and find them very comfortable. I ride them all the time without socks.

Also, here is a link to an article on Tom's site http://bikesportmichigan.com/features/shoes.shtml that was very helpful for me when buying shoes, especially in getting the fit right.

Marcel
Quote Reply