Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Canada on a road bike ?????
Quote | Reply
I'm signed up for IM Canada next year and thus far, I've done all my riding (and racing) on a Trek 5200 road bike. Please note that I'm a MOPer and have only been in the sport for 3 years.

I currently am debating on getting a new (used) tri-bike for the sole reason of having "fresher" legs for the run at IM Canada.

My questions: Is it worth it to buy a tri-specific ride? (I have race wheels already. So, minus the wheels, I can justify $1,500, but not anything more.) Will my legs really be that much fresher on a 76 degree seat angle vs. my Trek's 73 degree seat post angle?

Being that I'm a Mid-to-Back of the Pack racer - it's hard to justify the $$$. Being that I'm just doing IMC to finish and that buying a $100.00 Profile Jammer GT may just solve my "problem" - it's hard to justify the $$$.

I'm curious to hear from anyone and especially those who have done races on both road and tri geometry frames.

Thanks very much.

Sandy Eggo Jon
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada on a road bike ????? [sandy eggo jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out Big Slam and the Oval Slam bars, www.bicyclesports.com, also, you can get properly fitted by Dave Bunce at Bicycle Sports Encinitas, I highly reccomend it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMC has a ton of aerobar riding. 100-112 miles of it. I would think the 5200 would be fine as long as you can stay on the bars for that long and not have a lower back that is going crazy with pain. That is the criteria I would use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there were SO many people on roadbikes this year.

tons!

its amazing how few people use jammers though on road bikes...and yet, a highly viable alternative.

"Anyone can work hard when they want to; Champions do it when they don't."
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada on a road bike ????? [Young_Ironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"its amazing how few people use jammers though on road bikes..."

You see this at all tris. People on road bikes stretched out on bars made for tri bikes. Don't people research this stuff on the net?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada on a road bike ????? [JLV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"as you can stay on the bars for that long and not have a lower back that is going crazy with pain."

In other words Profile Jammer GT's or other shorty aero bar equivalent. IMO, the ultimate for comfort on a road bike is Syntace C2's in a size smaller than you would normally use on a tri bike.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Canada on a road bike ????? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone for your advice.

i'm on a mission to find some jammer gt's....

sounds like that's the ticket!
Quote Reply