Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

5k as Max hr test, low heart rates
Quote | Reply
I did a small 5k this weekend as a fitness test to see where I am to begin my run season. I'm hoping to get some pr's this spring and I wanted to see how far I have to go. I also was hoping to get a current max hr out of the deal. I was very happy w/ how the race went(won my age group), but I was @ little surprised at my max hr for the race: 169bpm w/ a 160bpm avg. I'm only 32. This seems very low, (though not that low for me). I know the highest I've ever seen on the bike is 161 in a 10 mile TT I did this year.

Couple of q's:

Is a 5k an accurate test for max hr? If it matters, the 5k had some good hills.

What are the factors that determine an individuals max hr? I realize that a person's max has no bearing on, and is not affectected by, a person's fitness. I was just curious why mine is so low. Genetic reasons?
Last edited by: jayblack: Nov 24, 03 0:35
Quote Reply
Re: 5k as Max hr test, low heart rates [jayblack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what was your time?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is a 5k an accurate test for max hr? If it matters, the 5k had some good hills.

No. a 5k is far too long to be able to test for max HR. To figure out max HR (running) look for a moderate grade hill that will take at least a minute to run up. After a really good warmup, progressively more intense, run up the hill at the hardest pace you can, you should hit close to your max. Then add 5 beats to that figure.
Quote Reply
Re: 5k as Max hr test, low heart rates [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending upon how long the 5k took you, it is a better indicator of your current threshold running pace.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jay,
In one of Sally Edward's books about heart rate training, she gives a few methods of determining max HR. One is to run ALL OUT in the last two minutes or so of a 5k race. Add 5 bpm to the max HR you see during that time (to account for the fact that due to fatigue your HR can't get up to its max).

She also said the average HR in the middle of the race is usually about 5 bpm above LT.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get near your max in a 5k if your all out the last 400 meters.....I cant imagine getting there in a workout though, for me, racing is the best way to get it up.
Quote Reply
Re: 5k as Max hr test, low heart rates [Gopre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've attempted to get my max HR several different ways. First, I picked a good hill and ran slowly up it several times to warm up. Then I ran it as hard as I could. I did this twice and got the same max HR, around 193. Next, (several months had passed) I ran a 5k and ran very hard at the end of the race. I got my HR up to 191. Finally, I took a treadmill stress test in Albuquerque for a job. I've grown up and live at around 800 ft and this was done at about 5500 ft. Anyway, after increasing the grade and speed, my HR went to 195.

I believe i've read that max HR is not an indicator of fitness level, but resting HR is. Max HR is more along the lines of you've got what you've got and doesn't affect the level of fitness you can attain. This could be wrong, but it's how I understand it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I was @ little surprised at my max hr for the race: 169bpm w/ a 160bpm avg. I'm only 32.

It's got nothing to do with age. Those formulas you read are merely averages. everybody is different, and yours is perfectly normal.

I would personally find it tough to hit maxHR in a 5k. By the last 800 meters, my legs are really starting to get heavy, and I'm not capable of a maximal effort. I did a gut-busting finish in a 5k this fall and peaked out at 185 (averaged 179). I can hit 185 on 400 repeats with much, much less effort. The highest I ever got running was by cruising pretty hard through 600 meters and then sprinting all out until I had to stumble to a stop. Hit 193.

I think a 5k is more suited to finding your VO2max HR; a 10k would be more suited to LT.

I have found that the marathon in an IM is well suited to finding my walking HR. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: 5k as Max hr test, low heart rates [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
what was your time? 17:41; I'm looking for sub 17. Hopefully w/ the addition of a little speedwork, I can get there. One thing the race did show me was that all the long training somehow does help your speed. Looking @ my logs, I haven't run a sub 7 minute mile in 3 weeks and it's been exactly 2 months since I ran anything @ sub 6:00 pace. I did run very hard at the end, but you guys are right; I didn't exactly bust a gut to get to the line. Maybe I should add 5bpm?
Again, any thoughts by anyone on why max hr's are so varied?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Again, any thoughts by anyone on why max hr's are so varied?

Cardiac output is heart rate times stroke volume (how much blood your heart pumps each beat). The larger the volume (bigger or stronger? heart), the less often it has to beat to supply the same amount of blood to the muscles.

At least that's how I understand it.

Ken Lehner

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply