Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Scott Jurek - new record for completing the Appalachian Trail & cited for drinking champagne & littering at the finish [volleycs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
volleycs wrote:
This goes back to my earlier post about I am a fan of Scott's but I hope he does not write a book about it or do anything to commercialize the A.T

The definitive book has already been written

http://www.amazon.com/...achian/dp/0307279464

The movie* opens on Labor Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOF2LIAp9bw

* I'm sure they got their permits in order ahead of time, and only filmed with small groups ... no champagne at the wrap party, either

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Jul 23, 15 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Jurek - new record for completing the Appalachian Trail & cited for drinking champagne & littering at the finish [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I am familiar with the movie. I may have posted this already but it appears that the PCT has had an increase of about 60% this year after the Movie Wild, Lost and Found on the PCT was released last year. Some people are estimating a 60% increase on the A.T. next year but I think that estimate is probably low. I don't know if you had a chance to read the letter I linked to in the earlier post but it will give you a pretty good idea of what issues the Trail is facing (including alcohol on Katahdin/trail). It might not sound like much of an issue but you have to remember that the start dates are not spread throughout the year. Most people are NOBO's and will start between March 01 and April 15th. So an increase of 1500 people over a time span of 45 days will impact the trail as camp areas and shelters get over crowded. As I stated in an earlier post it just concerns me because I love the Trail and I know from personal experience the kind of impact it can have on you. I just hate to see it become regulated in regards to when, how, and how many are permitted to utilize it. I also know I am a hypocrite because if Scott does write I book I am sure I would be one of the first to buy it. lol I just hope a sustainable plan/agreement can be reached by all the partners involved that does not take away from the end users experience.

http://timeoutdoors.blogspot.com/
Photo Blog - App Trail Thru Hike March - Sept 2009

Quote Reply
Re: Scott Jurek - new record for completing the Appalachian Trail & cited for drinking champagne & littering at the finish [volleycs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
volleycs wrote:
This goes back to my earlier post about I am a fan of Scott's but I hope he does not write a book about it or do anything to commercialize the A.T. If that was his plan I wish he would have chosen a trail that was not to the point where it is almost not sustainable (as believed by the A.T.C.). I fully understand he has every right to do so, but I hate to see the Trail commercialized. Baxter State Park has had issues with the A.T. and some of the hikers for a while now. Here is a link to the letter Baxter sent the A.T.C. last year. I really expect that we only have 1 or 2 years left where someone can hike the A.T. as freely as they do now. I don't know the path the A.T.C. will take but I expect it will be permits, limited number of hikers to start per day, limited amount of time to pass through certain sections, etc.

What difference does it make to anyone if he writes a book about it? I hike parts of the AT regularly and I've never thought it was too crowded, but what do I know.
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Jurek - new record for completing the Appalachian Trail [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blog post by Jurek today where he discusses the issues on Katahdin - http://blog.scottjurek.com/...he-appalachian-trail
Quote Reply
Re: Scott Jurek - new record for completing the Appalachian Trail [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
story on the front page of the Denver Post today,
http://www.denverpost.com/...d-tensions-rise-over
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, the friend that brought the champagne asked rangers about alcohol before he headed up and was told to keep it away from families and children, but not that regulations prohibit it. Rangers were on the summit and did not intervene in the celebration or give a summons. His group was not too large, and he has no control over others that started independently. He was given the summons after arriving at the base of the mountain. BSP claims that the summons was given at the top of the mountain even though a picture taken by Scott's wife shows them giving him the tickets at the bottom of the mountain. BSP has deleted FB posts from people on the summit independently of Scott that contradict their version of events.

BSP could have addressed their concerns about the situation and expressed their philosophy in a thoughtful way that would have helped advance their agenda. Instead they wrote an accusatory, unprofessional post that has made them look stupid and undermines the respect for the rules they seek to protect. A great example of poor PR and inept social media management.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Anna s [ In reply to ]
Re: Scott Jurek - new record for completing the Appalachian Trail [Anna s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you enjoyed the book! I pre-ordered it and have read a couple of small sections. Those sections haven't disappointed. I'm waiting until late winter to read the entire book before a trip where I'll be running trails very near the AT in Georgia.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
/pink
His record was broken, the book holds no value now
/pink
Quote Reply

Prev Next