Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Riding in Jackson Hole, Wyoming - Help with routes
Quote | Reply
Headed up for little over a week on the 17th to Jackson Hole, Wyoming. Staying at the Four Seasons. Does anyone have any good routes to ride? looking for some climbing and some general stuff. Taking my road bike. All help is appreciated. thanks

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Jackson Hole, Wyoming - Help with routes [kman74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That NPS map is good, but it doesn't show that the bike path also goes to Teton Village, which is a pretty ride. When I was there, I was bike touring, so my objectives were different. There is some great riding there if you aren't afraid of gravel, but WY doesn't like to pave a lot of roads. There are also a couple bike shops in Jackson, and although they are aimed more toward mountain bikers, I am sure they could point you in the direction of some good routes.

Teton pass is often listed as one of the best cycling climbs in the US. I can't remember if the bike path to Teton Village follows that or if you take route 22, though.
Last edited by: happyscientist: Jul 6, 15 8:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, as much as you might like road biking, its not all that safe on the roads around Jackson Hole. Combine country folks who really don't have an appreciation for cycling/cyclists and a bunch of yahoos driving a rented motorhome for the first time and you are looking for trouble. If it were me, I would leave my bike at home and pay the nominal cost to rent a nice mountain bike for a few days and go nuts on the miles and miles of trails. You can reach the Cache Creek trail system right out of town.

http://www.singletracks.com/Mountain-Bike-Trails-bike-trails_0.html?filterBy=%7Cloc:43.480000~-110.761667~25~Jackson%2C+WY

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for Teton Pass. We drove from Idaho Falls to Jackson Hole last summer (about 88 miles), which would be a great (one-way) ride to do some day. Due to our time constraints, I wasn't able to ride up the pass - but it looks really really nice.

Instead, we rented a couple road bikes (be sure to make reservations ahead of time) and rode the very, very nice bike path north to Jenny Lake and back.

If you continue north on Hwy 26, you'll go over another pass on the way to Dubois (about 85 miles), which is a super nice ride - even in a car. Next time we're out there, I'm riding to Jackson Hole then to Dubois a couple days later.

Have fun!!

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never been there before, but check out this map to see the most popular bike routes:
http://labs.strava.com/...0/43.23923/blue/bike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spend a lot of time just over the pass on the Idaho side. Lots of easy riding routes over there, I personally think Teton Pass is too busy to ride though epic. If you are going to stay on the WY side my preference would be to ride the protected paved bike path in Grand Teton NP from say roughly the airport to two ocean lake. The path is separated from traffic most of the way.

Good running at Two Ocean Lake as well, and for a great run try starting at Phillips Trailhead on Teton Pass and go as far as you'd like (loop or follow the Teton Crest Trail)
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Jackson Hole, Wyoming - Help with routes [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robin, run wrote:
I spend a lot of time just over the pass on the Idaho side. Lots of easy riding routes over there, I personally think Teton Pass is too busy to ride though epic. If you are going to stay on the WY side my preference would be to ride the protected paved bike path in Grand Teton NP from say roughly the airport to two ocean lake. The path is separated from traffic most of the way.

Good running at Two Ocean Lake as well, and for a great run try starting at Phillips Trailhead on Teton Pass and go as far as you'd like (loop or follow the Teton Crest Trail)

Reviving this old post - heading to Jackson for a few weeks at the end of August into September. Is Teton Pass still too busy/dangerous to ride?

Also would you suggest bringing the tri bike or the road bike - I love my tri bike, but maybe it's too hilly to enjoy there.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Riding in Jackson Hole, Wyoming - Help with routes [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just enjoy the downhill life at Jackson Hole or Grand Targhee. Just such fun riding when you come from somewhere lacking in the really good downhill terrain. Rent a bike with the gear and shred.
You can still get in your steady state tri rides too since there are over 70 miles of trail including lots of XC riding at Grand Targhee
Last edited by: iamuwere: Jul 26, 20 16:45
Quote Reply