Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Aero properties of paint? [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cgrubb wrote:
Don’t know much about surfboards, but yachts have always had their hull sanded below the waterline to improve speed. Yachts with a sanded bottom are always faster than ones that are polished. For the racing sailor job #1 when getting a nice shiny new boat is to bring out the 800 grade wet and dry paper to give it a good sanding below the waterline.

I cannot tell you why this works I will leave that to the ST scientists on the forum. But there must be some parallels into aerodynamics.

I think this was against the rules back in the days I did sailing regattas.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero properties of paint? [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
joshatsilca wrote:
back in the early 2000's we realized that roughness on the rim could improve this and the original 808 had a detachment angle of 13 and a reattachment of 12 which was a pretty big deal at the time.

If someone currently employed by Zipp is reading this: more of this type of stuff please, for the current products. Zipp's current publicly available technical detail is atrocious.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero properties of paint? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMC tri bikes of the 2012 era have an aerodynamic "tripwire" on all the leading edges of the frame and fork. I can't speak for the very latest models because I haven't looked at one up close since I sold mine.

The tripwire is basically an elongated dimple. Dimples are good when the object is spinning and you don't know where the leading edge will be, like a golf ball or wheel rim. Since you always know where the leading edge of a bike frame and fork is, you put in a tripwire instead.

The helmet with all the dimples on it is kind of silly, since you spend 95% of your time looking forward. A tripwire line would be a lot smarter.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero properties of paint? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
BMC tri bikes of the 2012 era have an aerodynamic "tripwire" on all the leading edges of the frame and fork. I can't speak for the very latest models because I haven't looked at one up close since I sold mine.

The tripwire is basically an elongated dimple. Dimples are good when the object is spinning and you don't know where the leading edge will be, like a golf ball or wheel rim. Since you always know where the leading edge of a bike frame and fork is, you put in a tripwire instead.

The helmet with all the dimples on it is kind of silly, since you spend 95% of your time looking forward. A tripwire line would be a lot smarter.
A tripwire only works properly at one angle of attack. Which is unlikely to be the case for a helmet, especially one used by lots of different people.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero properties of paint? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:

Lazer did exactly that with the Wasp. For some people that was a very, very, very fast helmet. For others it wasn't so great. The reason the poster prior to me posits is the reason why.
Quote Reply
Re: Aero properties of paint? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:
I've wondered about this as well (and may have even started a post on this topic a few months back???) but I don't think its about matte vs glossy. I think you'd need an actual texture like what Pearl Izumi has on the Octane sleeves or perhaps grooves similar to the face of a golf club (to act as a trip wire at yaw).

Yes, this was my line of thinking. Nonetheless, I think the gains to be made on paint on bike frames is miniscule compared to clothing and helmets. I look at the big, bluff faces on aero helmets/visors and can�t help but think that there�s scope for improvement there.

I presume dimpled helmets like the Louis Garneau Vortice simply don�t test any faster than alternatives, otherwise everyone would be doing it?

I posted this elsewhere but, from all of my reading, it seems to come down to the height of the imperfections on the surface relative to the boundary layer. If the height of the imperfections is less than the height of the boundary layer, there will be no effect.
Quote Reply

Prev Next