Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: campy vs. shimano [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see a guy just about every day on my cycle commute to work. He has a nice carbon Kestrel with Campy and Shimano mix!
Campy Record 10 speed except for a DA front derailler to a downtube shifter! Campy everything else but Shimano front wheel. Not sure what the rear wheel is. It's what he had lying around when building the bike up around and insurance replacment frame.
Bizzare.

TriDork

TriDork

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: campy vs. shimano [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is my bike in a nutshell.

Shimano Chainrings
Mavic brakes
Campagnolo Shifters/Derailleurs
FSA Carbon Cranks/BB

I've got wheels with Campy and Shimano freehubs, all 10 speed.

One thing to note with the Campagnolo 10 speed bar end shifters is that they have a barrel adjuster threaded right into the cable seat. This allows for fine tuning on the fly and can be a life saver if you ever need a "pit wheel" on the course. The slight differenced in the locknut to first cog dimension can be overcome with a little twist.

Campy allows you to build a 10 speed drivetrain with Veloce level components or mix and match and get the value you need.

Shimano 10 speed is all or nothing for Dura Ace.

I've found this to be the case for the most part.

Campagnolo tells you they are better.

Shimano tells you WHY they are better. All their ergonomic babble and STI, SG-X, Octalink, SLR, SIS, and such silly things are concepts they feel were needed to improve the function of the components and they are marketed as features.

Campagnolo just makes improvements and calls them: improvements. "its better trust us" is the theme.

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Re: campy vs. shimano [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave - it is better

And is there such a thing as a RATT CD? I thought you could only get that on LP and tape???

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: campy vs. shimano [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<<And is there such a thing as a RATT CD? I thought you could only get that on LP and tape??? >>

Ratt, Motley Crue, Guns-n-Roses, Poison, all gloriously immortalized on CD my friend.

Brett

"Take me down to Paridise City where the grass is green and the girls are pretty"
Quote Reply
Re: campy vs. shimano [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I should be doing my lunch time run, but this one hooked me... but IROC Camaros? That's worth talking about.

Campy / Shimano... blah, blah, blah... Just get on the bike and ride!!!!!!!!!

1st car = 86 Camaro (Yes with T-Tops!). 2nd Car 1990 Firebird Formula (guess what... T-Tops!). Smokin'. But my Marines were kickin' my ass in their 5.0s, so when I got selected for Capt. (and the girl turned down the mariage proposal). I took the Formula (and the Honeymoon $) and upgraded to a '88 Vette (Yep, Targa top). Unfortunatly, I found no refinement in the Vette. When the red light turned green, I'd just sit there and "Broil the Hides!" Better than a tractor pull and can of Copenhagen on Sunday afternoon!

Ratt, Motley Crue, Guns-n-Roses, Poison... I still got 'em on cassette. Only the rich kids had CDs in the 80s. I'm really glad that I didn't throw out my "Chucky-T" high top sneakers, and acid washed jeans!!! You guys are my new best friends. I've been so lonely and misunderstood in this button down world.

Which Walmart are we meeting at?

Ps. The girl reconsidered... we got married 9 years ago, and still are! Funny how life just seems to workout sometimes. Now I'll go run. See Ya'

Joel
Quote Reply
Re: campy vs. shimano [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IROC? (Its really only a camaro)...F-Bodies SUCK!!!

5.7 liter WS6 - blah blah blah....I will gladly race one in my little 3.6 liter....(for a price)

Thank god GM came to the conclusion that the F-Body was a crap car and quit making them (not like ANY US car is decent - think about it...the Seville STS is the BEST we can do?)

Did drive a new 04 Crustang Slowbra the other day...PATHETIC...you hit the radio when you shift the gears (18" throw from 2 to 3 I think).

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: campy vs. shimano [Joel Smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, the 80's. You had to have T-tops back then because your date couldn't fit her hair under a normal roof. You can't beat the pumps with acid wash jeans look either.

Actually, the fourth gen F-body was a fairly decent car on the drawing board. It was the first generation to finally get rack and pinion steering versus reciprocating ball--big improvement. The Forumula Firebird with six-speed tranny and 5.8 (I think) liter V-8 was the shiz. The rear end was a complicated convolution of linkage but did a much better job of keeping the rubber planted during cornering than the Mustang. Oh man, this is taking me back-way back. I gotta go before the mullet grows in...

Brett

"She's got the looks that kill"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"IROC? (Its really only a camaro)...F-Bodies SUCK!!!"

I just had a regular Camaro, no IROC, no Z-28, but it was good enough to make mission.

Yep, from a performance stance no question F-Bodies were flexy and under powered. But look at the bigger picture. Think Strategy not Tactics. What did those cars get you? Remember, back then I was a single college kid on summer break. For 3 months I was let loose on society to work the summer away (and party) as a life guard, after being locked up in an all male military school for 9 months! I had to make-up for lost time! So what did that car get me?

Right! gum snappin', head-bangin', big haired girls,with giant hoop earings, that painted their jeans on, drank Mezcal from the bottle, and didn't have a curfew. Even in the late 80s my hometown had a drive-in theater. God, I miss those days!

Glad to see you still get to line-up on the 1,320. Hopefully a safe track and not the street. Tried it twice on the street, and lost a lot of $$$. Vettes just don't hook up very well. Pretty dangerous stuff too. I learned my lesson quickly. My vette along with those insane days are long gone. But no one can take the memories. Life for me was 100 mph when I was younger, I have very few regrets as a middle aged guy. Things are quieter now... well just a little.

Joel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to get this thread back on track, I've got a question for Record9ti. First, a little background, I think Campy is great, but run mostly Shimano for compatibility between all of my bikes. I have one bike that does have the dreaded Campy Shimano mix. I am seriously considering Campy for my next road bike.

But, all this focus on carbon fiber this and thats all over Record (and now Chorus) has me a little concerned. Yes, I think it looks absolutely sweet. But, is there any info at all that shows, or any reason to believe, that using Carbon fiber on these different pieces of the drivetrain is actually "better" (a loaded word, I know) than aluminum or steel? I'll give that CF may save some weight. But what are the other benefits, if any? Couldn't one argue that the primary reason for adding the CF parts is sex appeal rather than serving some engineering purpose?

(Not trolling, I swear)
Quote Reply
Re: campy vs. shimano [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Just to get this thread back on track" - Buzz Kill. Thanks for bringing me back for my Glory Days :-(

OK, lets face it. The Campy vs Shimano debate will never end, and that's good. Competition in the market place is the consumers advantage.

But I think you bring up a good point with the carbon. Did you see the Velo News article on the crank arm comparison? Yes Shimano D/A 10 speed cranks were the stiffest (and not the most expensive), but Shimano vs. Campy isn't my point. Carbon vs. Alloy is. Carbon is expensive, sexy, and not all that stiff. Definately not the best value.

Didn't Tom Demerly rig-up a test similar to this sometime ago?
Quote Reply
Re: campy vs. shimano [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The reason Campy uses CF is to lower the component weight and to sell more parts. The CF that they use does not hurt the performance, so you still get the shifting and braking quality you expect from Campy Record or Chorus. There are other differences between the Centaur, Chorus and Record that make one "better" than the other, but in my opinion, except for the reduced weight, carbon is not one of them.
Quote Reply

Prev Next