Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry. Speed Concept 9 series

-"Bottom line, it's the Hunter, not the arrow. Ride what you want."

http://fulltriathlonracing.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a 2015 Slice Hi Modular carbon frame which is normally fitted out with Dura Ace Di2 but also takes mechanical gearing. Mine is a size 57 by the Cannondale system of measurement but the top tube is only 55cm. Nevertheless, I had done my homework and knew that a 130mm stem would have me comfortable although I do have the saddle mounted on the rear of the two positions. I guess in hindsight I could have bought the next size up but my policy is to err with smaller rather than larger when it comes to frames.

Although the model I bought usually comes standard with an FSA crankset and 53/39 chainrings, I decided to stay with my usual compact crankset and fitted it (at great expense) with the Cannondale SiSL 2 cranks. Because this particular crankset requires special tools I decided to have the LBS fit it.

I have fitted a few rear brake calipers behind the BB previously but this was my first experience with the Dura Ace direct mount calipers. I am really not a fan of the BB mounted rear brake but it seems that bike manufacturers are somewhat wedded to them. I was hoping it was just an aesthetic thing that would fade away but it seems not. Same with the matt color finish. Would you buy a car with a matt finish?

Generally I am very happy with it and it will become my bike of choice for major races.
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [JohnIV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Speed Concept 9 series"

here is my problem. i need to know that metric that you gave me:
"Handlebar reach was 465mm and handlebar stack was 549mm."

i can work with this. i can either work with this, or pad X and pad Y. i think you gave me the pad X but not the Y.

as to handlebar stack/reach, or as we like to call it, HX and HY, how did your retul fitter come up with this number? unless you took off the integrated bar on the SC9, replacing the integrated stem and bar with a steerer stub, then with a standard stem and bar, how can you / did you determine HX and HY, i.e., how can you tell me what the X and Y dimensions are from the BB to the center of the stem hole, where the bar passes through it, if there is no stem hole?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [duncan-m-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this is monumentally easy when you understand how this works and can wrangle the tools. i only need this:

HX 523
HY 666

first, i'm going to plunk these into the this calculator. we're going to resolve the stack and reach of the frame we're looking for by subtracting the x and y component of the front end of the bike from the numbers you gave me above. to do this, we have to stick into that calculator the front end you desire.

here's the problem. this is a big, big bike. that HY is a tall, tall number. normally i'd put in a -17° stem in the calculator, but i'm putting a -6° in there, because we need help everywhere we can get it to get the pads up high enough. i'm going with -6° stem pitch, 10mm total of spacers + headset top cap, and a 100mm stem. what i come up with is:

stack: 618
reach: 434

this bike in its 60cm size is:

stack: 567
reach: 435

so we're good in length. the issue is height. we need 5cm of height.

let me add a further complication. do you notice in your fit report, "pad height = 60mm"? that means the pads used during your fit session was something like a profile design, or zipp, with pads that sit 60mm above the centerline of the pursuit bar. that slice, complete, comes with a vision bar with a pad height of about 35mm.

so, first thing, those vision bars must go. they ought to be replaced with profile aeria, or something like it. then you pedestal the living jeezus out of it. 50mm of pedestals. like zo =>

this all assumes, of course, that the fit was done right. it's just math. just a numbers game. but that front end described + that frame + these bars + these pedestals = your fit coordinates on this bike.

you give the above prescription to Nytro or your local Cannondale dealer, they build the slice up this way, subbing in these bars, just like this, with that 100mm -6° stem, only 10mm of total headset cap + spacer, you should come out with the bike that matches your fit session.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Jun 18, 15 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I'm not sure how he came up with it. The integrated bar setup on the 9 series Speed Concept was always on the bike. He used the retul wand on my current setup, and I got the print out with all of the measurements. It will probably be easier with the arm pad x/y.

Arm pad X: 460mm
Arm pad Y: 598mm

Sorry for all of the confusion. I can email you the retul fit sheet if it is better that way.

Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [JohnIV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"To be honest, I'm not sure how he came up with it."

this is why every couple of years i write an article on what your reasonable expectations are as a customer going in for a bike fit. my intent is to equip you, so that you don't take that time and spend that money and not come away with metrics that make sense.

now, there is one other way to go about this, and that's to get, from you, pad x and pad y, from the position you intend to ride. if you give me that, then i can figure from that.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan - the LBS has a Slice RS 2013 for $3k... pretty tempting.

I dont have my current fit measurements (same LBS does) but I currently ride a Large Blue AC1 SL with a 110mm stem, and a Scott Scale 920 (2013) - Size charts below. Im 183.75cm and apparently long legged. Average flexibility.

I have not owned a TT/Tri bike before so no reference points.

Unsure which size Slice would be most suitable - would assume 56?

Blue:

XSSMMDMLLGXL(A) Horiz. Top Tube Length C-C (cm)50.552.554565860(B) Seat Tube Length C-T (cm)464649525558(C) Head Tube Length (cm)1012.514.51617.519.5(D) Head Tube Angle (degrees)71.571.57272.572.572.5(E) Seat Tube Angle (degrees)74.57473.57372.572.5(F) Fork Rake (cm)4.54.54.54.54.54.5(G) Chain Stay Length (cm)40.540.540.540.540.540.5(H) Bottom Brackett Drop (cm)777777(I) Wheelbase (cm)95.397.297.898.9100.4102.4(J) Seat Tube Diameter (cm)Aero shapes seat tube and clamp(K) Outside Seat Tube Diameter (cm)Aerus C4 Pro full carbon aero seat post(L) Standover Height (cm)72.373.475.87980.182.5(M) Frame Stack(cm)49.65252.455.75759(N) Frame Reach(cm)36.637.737.938.94041.3
Scott:

SMLXLAhead tube angle69.5 °69.5 °69.5 °69.5 °Bhead tube length105.0 mm105.0 mm115.0 mm125.0 mmCtop tube horizontal580.0 mm600.0 mm620.0 mm640.0 mmDstandover height756.0 mm783.0 mm810.0 mm842.0 mmEBB offset-60.0 mm-60.0 mm-60.0 mm-60.0 mmFBB height310.0 mm310.0 mm310.0 mm310.0 mmGwheel base1,079.0 mm1,096.8 mm1,117.0 mm1,137.9 mmHBB center to toptube center329.0 mm375.0 mm415.0 mm465.0 mmIBB center to top of seattube390.0 mm440.0 mm480.0 mm530.0 mmJseat angle72.5 °72.5 °72.5 °72.5 °Kchainstay438.0 mm438.0 mm438.0 mm438.0 mmLreach385.0 mm405.0 mm422.0 mm439.0 mmMstack618.0 mm618.0 mm628.0 mm637.0 mmNstem length70.0 mm80.0 mm90.0 mm100.0 mm
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [Helliquin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the slice RS is tougher, because it's a superbike: it doesn't have a standard front end. it's got its own special stems making them immune to the calculators here. this is why all the companies are going to pad x and pad y fit systems specific to the bike. except, this bike doesn't have one.

you're right at 6' tall. this means the largest size made in this bike.

look, the new QR PRsix would fit you in its size 52. the slice RS fits you in its size 58. forget what size the bike is, look at how the bike fits. the 56 would be too small for you, but the 58 would work okay.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan

Got confused with the Zipp fit app which I now realise takes measurement from the back of the pads - that is why nothing was adding up. But that all makes sense now. Thanks very much for your help.

Duncan
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [duncan-m-w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cannondale Slice 2015 posted aero data:
[/url]

This was posted around the time the Slice 2015 was introduced. It may not be a true apples to apples comparison.
Last edited by: Billyk24: Jun 28, 15 8:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan,

I intend to set up the new Cannondale slice with the following fit coordinates:

Arm pad X: 460mm
Arm pad Y: 598mm

Is it possible with the new Slice?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dan,

Don't have the specs, but got hit by a car yesterday and have IMC in 3 weeks. Was on a 2011 Slice 3 size 54, and made it work for my reach (good deal on it but more short legs and longer torso 5'9 - 80 cm inseam). Is the new Slice even a good possibility or should I look elsewhere. Unfortunately a bit screwed with timeframe with race in 3 weeks.

Thanks!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would need to size down and get a 10mm longer stem

Or a 51 New P2 is close to identically sized to your dearly departed bike

Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much - actually was thinking of the NP2 as well. This seems to be a pretty good choice as well.

What a cluster - not what I wanted 3 weeks from an IM. Let alone a small broken bone in the hand.

Thanks again!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan, not sure if you can (still) help, but I'm 1.865m tall (6'1"+), 88.5cm inseam. I liked the fit of an XL 7.5 2015 Speed Concept, which as 56.5 stack and 44.5 reach.
In the new Slice I am leaning towards a 60cm one (56.7 stack and 43.8 reach), but afraid of going too high and slightly small for their biggest size... I think you have similar measurements and ride a SC, right?
Would you be able to say if should I go with the 57cm or the 60cm one of the 2015 Slice?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan
I'm considering a Slice for next season. I've qualified for both 70.3 and Ironman world championships next year.
I like to ride kind of slack at 77.
My last two bikes were a xsmall Shiv and trek 7.5 small. I'm current on BMC TM02 mid-short. I have 50cm stem and profile arial bars with 2.5cm stack. 2cm stem stack.
Thanks for your input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,
Realize this post is coming up on 2 years old, but I'm looking into a 2016 Slice. I'm almost 6'1", with an inseam to the floor of 34". Haven't owned a Tri bike for about 4 years, but on my last one, a 55cm Kestrel 4000, the frame stack and reach were 53.6/41.8cm. And the Stack to top center of armrest 64.8cm, Reach to rear edge of armrest 45.9cm (105mm F99 Stem on Felt Devox aerobar). I also like to ride very steep. Generally jacked as forward as reasonable. Looking at a 57cm Slice based on advertised Stack and Reach of 54.7/42. Top tube of 52.7 is disconcerting, but the Stack/Reach seem right.
Thanks,
Kevin

I wanna go fast!
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
top tube means nothing. stack and reach is all that counts in terms of FIT. that bike seems the right size based on your height. it's got very low aerobars spec'd on it. won't know if those bars work for you unless i know your fit coordinates.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan,

Sorry to open this again....

With that in mind then, if the stack & reach for the new slice in a 57 are v similar to my old 2013 slice in a 58, I can ignore the much shorter top tube (which did make me very nervous!). I had to sell the old one when I moved to the US from the UK and now want a replacement....

Thanks

B
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [Brh77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 2015-2017 Slice is no longer made. There is a newer SuperSlice that the pro cycling teams ride and a few select triathletes from 2017 got a chance to use in 2017 only. You might find an "old stock" Slice on ebay but it might be best to wait--if you can--for the new version--if it arrives?
Quote Reply
Re: Cannondale Slice HELP! thread [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can still find one I think- it’s more the geometry I am worried about....

B
Quote Reply

Prev Next