Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

June 1 ! How are you?
Quote | Reply
Hope the womens are well :-) how are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: June 1 ! How are you? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm ABD! ("all but dissertation") - this is sort of a big deal in the land of grad student-ness. So I had a successful week :-) more later.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! ABD!!!

I had a decent week last week. I got in all hoped for workouts except for one bike workout. It's just obvious I'm going to have to just suck it up and GET UP on Tuesday mornings to get in that bike interval workout. Ugh. Not my favorite.

I ran the local half marathon on Sunday. In the pouring rain. POURING. It's a point to point race. After the race I had plans to run a few more miles to church where my husband had a towel and change of clothes for me. I was rather funny looking boarding the race bus in an old sweater and jeans, but these were from our 'donation' clothing box and I knew I'd never see them again.
The race went well. I was holding a pretty steady pace for the first half, but then most of the hills are in the second half. So after my garmin lost satellites at mile 8, I must have slowed up a bit. I was definitely happy with my pace and finished 13th in AG, after having done a 62mi bike the day before, I'm good with how training is going. I did a moderate-easy spin on the bike later in the afternoon, which really seemed to help my legs.

Skipped today's am strength training since the husband got ill last night and kept us up a bit late. Oh well.
Quote Reply
Re: June 1 ! How are you? [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice work! You are sounding fit & strong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tc - most excellent news!
determination - nice work! keep it up....

For me, last week:
I am in Edmonton for work this week so it will be tiring, but hopefully productive. It was!
- Run 4x DONE and felt great
- Swim once (why not) Not done
- Football once Done and a barrel of fun
- Bonus big hike with dog & family

This week:
- Now that I don't work Mondays anymore... ride K to school and back (been wanting to do this for so long! it's 11.5k each way so I had to wait until she was old enough to not make this a 2hr whingefest- only took 50min and it really is uphill all the way there - so she should enjoy the ride home later today! :-))
- run 4x
- football 3x - provincial championships are this weekend so it will be a busy and tiring weekend
- get s'more of the house TODO list done (we are making good progress)

I've decided to sign up for a fall 1/2marathon, so I'll have to start some longer runs soon.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: June 1 ! How are you? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
congrats on moving to a 4 day work week!
I'm sure that will help boat loads. I've already been using that day to relax, work out, and get those things done around the house that are really neglected. I'm still trying to get used to the 4 day work weeks though. It feels odd. But every time I get to that day off, I'm like "YES!"

Oh, and I forgot to put that I had two good swim workouts - one of which was 4k! A 4k master's workout, yahoo (and yes, I do mean 4,000 meters!). That felt awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm Canadian - to me all swim workouts are in meters. It must be confusing to have to switch between metric & imperial, especially when it comes to pacing.
Quote Reply
Re: June 1 ! How are you? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You get used to it, especially through the summers. With most kids swimming long course meters & about half to 3/4 of the pools still with short course yards, I get about 50/50 in each through the summer. It's humorous, but you get used to it. I guess I stopped actually paying much attention to my pace ages ago though. Also helps that my workouts tend to be coached...so I just go when I'm told to go. =)

AW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I'm really happy about it :-) (this is maybe the fourth or fifth time I've done this and I have never regretted it). And if I get bored, I can pick up some consulting hours here and there. But I tell ya, this being able to ride with K to and from her school was one of the best things ever - even in the drizzle on the way home.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Preparing to participate in my first 100 Mile Run event! Leadville, CO on August 22; I now hurt in new places (knees bothering me a little for the first time ever), but otherwise, all is well with the world.

My training client lost 92 lbs in 90 days and won the National Championship for weight loss at Life Time Fitness (where I'm employed). She is extremely happy to have lost nearly a human being and she makes my job worth doing.

Looking forward to Silverman Triathlon on October 4. After 100 miles at altitude, it should be a piece of cake ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not so bad switching. I am only sad that the long course 50m pool is the 'shorter' season - I love swimming in that pool.
The coach adjusts the leave times for us... but often I'm convinced I am making tougher intervals outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: June 1 ! How are you? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to hear about this crazy Leadville 100 - please do tell all when it's over. I never want to personally run that far but I am completely fascinated by the stories from folks who do this sort of thing (like climbing Everest, another thing I never want to actually do).

Best wishes for training!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
edbikebabe wrote:
I'm Canadian - to me all swim workouts are in meters. It must be confusing to have to switch between metric & imperial, especially when it comes to pacing.

I'm Canadian as well, but only half the pools I swim in are in metres - the main one I swim in during the winter and the beautiful outdoor pool I get to play in during the summer are both 25 yards.

Last week's goals:
Walk x 1: win (actually did 4)
Run x 4: FAIL. Tweaked a hamstring on Saturday so no run on Sunday.
Swim x 4: win
Bike x 2: eeh, sort of win. Wednesday's lunch ride was 5mins between my rear tire being flat when I pulled the bike out of the car and when the spare flatted, leaving me to walk the bike the rest of the way to my office. No after work ride, but I did commute to the market & back Saturday.
Core/strength x 3: win
Foam roll/stretch x 1: win

This week's goals:
Run x 2
Swim x 4
Bike x 2
Core/strength/rehab x 4

So that hamstring injury was bad enough I could barely walk on Sunday, but I was feeling about 30% better yesterday so got out for an easy ride on my mtb. That felt ok, and I'm feeling better again today, which gives me some hope - I have the first tri of the year (just a little local sprint) on Saturday morning and a 5k trail race on Sunday. Since this is just 2 weeks after the 50k I had no expectations of performance anyway - just going out to have fun.

Still not in running shape for today, I don't think, but I may try to get one in tomorrow or Thursday to see how it feels. When I ratched it on Saturday's run what hurt the most was accelerations; trying to get back up to a run from stopping was hell. I'm doing some aggressive rehab with eccentric exercises and using an oversized tennis ball to roll it out, and it seems to be responding, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Last edited by: mistressk: Jun 2, 15 6:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats TC!

I am sick :-( Started with a sore throat on Saturday and now it feels like a miserable chest infection. This happened last time I went on holiday (in January) so maybe I'm just particularly susceptible to flying? Hoping it passes soon because I'm 4 weeks out from my first Oly of the season and 8 weeks out from my first 70.3 so I don't want to be missing training. Before I got sick, last week was going really well as I managed a huge FTP increase when I tested (which takes me from untrained to Cat 5, hah). Didn't manage any running or swimming.

So goals for this week are to get better and stay hydrated/eat well.
Quote Reply
Re: June 1 ! How are you? [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sally, that is incredible news for your client! So awesome to be so much healthier.

Scheheradade, I hope you feel better.

I'm finally getting around to updating my last week. My goal had been to swim M-F; I swam 6x (missed Tuesday but swam on the weekend) for a total of 10,400 yards, and I ran 7x about 58 miles. Eccentric heel exercises seem to have made the achilles issues go away.

Goals for this week:
- swim M-F (M,T,W done)
- ride at least once
- take at least one day off from running (today = 1 day off; may take Sat. off as I fly across the country over Friday night)

I have a lot to do in terms of packing and cleaning before I fly home, but I am so excited about it!

Quote Reply
Re: June 1 ! How are you? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck at Leadville !!!

Ummm, 92 pounds in 90 days ? I really, really hope that was a typo…...
Quote Reply
Re: June 1 ! How are you? [toreishi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toreishi wrote:
Good luck at Leadville !!!

Ummm, 92 pounds in 90 days ? I really, really hope that was a typo…...

Thank you for your gracious words regarding Leadville.

And no, that was definitely NOT a typo-she was on the morning news with me today, along with another client who lost 70 lbs in 90 days. Hard work on my part, but harder work for them, to be sure!

Now my task is making sure they keep it off!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply