Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was your week? May 4th Edition
Quote | Reply
May the fourth be with you!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 4th Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also International Firefighters Day!

How are you tigerchik?

My week was better than the preceding one. I had an FTP test on Tuesday which led to a 7.4% increase which in turn led to the TrainerRoad week from hell. It was good because it reminded me that I'm making progress and I needed that after the horrible race.

I finished up week 10 of Guppy so I'm pleased about that too. Not fast enough yet to move on to Tarpon so will run the cycle through again. OH has moved on to Tarpon so if anybody wants to be my virtual Guppy-buddy, let me know.

I only ran twice and only 3 miles each time but the injuries seem to have been brought under control and the break from running was good for me. The other half suggested I use the virtual pacer on my Garmin so I'm going to be giving that a go for the next few weeks.

This week: run x 6, swim x 3, bike x 4.
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 4th Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy firefighter's day! You deserve to be celebrated.

I am well - having a good, productive day today (though did not want to get out of the pool this morning, LOL). It feels nice to be getting work done!!! I have 11 days to finish my dissertation prospectus... also, I'm super excited that Kate and William named the princess Charlotte. I LOVE the name Charlotte. I'm slightly crazy over the royals, and was hoping for a girl when George was born, SO NOW THEY HAVE A GIRL!!!!

editing to include workout goals, which were bike lots (well, I biked more miles than I ran!) and swim lots (kinda)
My achilles is sore but I can still run, and I am having a really hard time just stopping running to let it heal. I did however manage to run only 5 days (42 miles). I rode 3 times for a total of 52 miles, and swam 5 times for a total of 11500 yards. Also 75 min on the stairmaster.

Goals for this week = I ran yesterday and today. The goal is to either stop running, or keep it very very (a mile or two) limited.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: May 5, 15 11:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sch,
If you want a guppy buddy, I'm in, starting this week.

Slowing coming back after a long time out due to injuries, and feel as though I'm starting all over again in the water.

Did the basic 500 set this weekend. So, any tips on the dolphin kick? It is painfully slow and I'm gasping the whole way.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 4th Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yay for having a buddy. Sorry to hear you have been injured.

I'm pretty sure I still look like I'm drowning when I do the dolphin kick. I found a helpful video a few weeks ago that talked about applying pressure downwards all the way from your chest down your body that seemed to make sense but I can't find it now. In my search for it today I came across this http://www.theraceclub.com/...fifth-stroke-part-1/. One of our resident fishes will hopefully chime in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week was a really crummy week, work and health and not being able to run as usual made me really cranky:

- go out of town this w/end with family - DONE
- run 2x - DONE
- football 1x - DONE
- get some more of the to-do list done - NOT DONE
- try to think happy thoughts - NOT DONE-ish

I had a bit of a breakthrough though, I have decided that I will try to make the best of it at work for now, as we have decided that we will be getting out of dodge, i.e.: selling the house and buying some acreage out there - probably Nicola valley/outside of Merritt - closer to Kelowna but not in Kelowna (we both hate Kelowna) - and still close enough so I can drive to Vancouver for work (i.e.: less than 3 hrs). Yes you read that right, I will be the "rents a place in town and drives to the country" type. Probably sometime next summer - we have some work to do on the house to get the max value from a sale. So changing jobs might not make sense now. But I am asking my boss to go to a 4 day week for the foreseeable future so that should help a LOT (balance, rest, recharge, work on house :-)). It's a longer term plan, we have ~12 months to get our crap in order. P can work anywhere. So why not be where we want to be - we hate the city. We are so frustrated with it.

Also, while running with the dog, Heidi, on Sunday morning, it's become pretty apparent that she's not so spry anymore (8.5 yrs old), and she's particularly not so good at running up hills. I'm pretty down about this as she's been my running buddy for the last 5 years - got me thru all the training for IMNZ, Leadman twice, Comrades, a bunch of other ultras and marathons and half marathons - and the thought of not running with her makes me sad. :-(

This week:
- Continue being positive (it helps me make better food choices too!) Being happy leads to success, not the other way around!
- Run 4x (if with H, then only 30' EZ)
- Football 2x
- Ride 3x
- Hit that ToDo list hard!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 2: win
Bike x 3: win
Run x 5: win
Core/strength x 4: win

We went away for the weekend to visit one of our best friends in MI, brought our bikes, and had an incredible Saturday afternoon riding the Metro Link & I-275 trails from Willow MetroPark up to US-12 and back. All paved (which was a little disappointing; we'd brought our CX bikes hoping for a little bit of dirt, but whatevs), mostly in really good condition, and some lovely scenery with endless crossings of the Huron River. Gorgeous sunshine and great fun just out for a ride with my sweetheart - our friend cycles a bit, but wasn't up for the 45km we did. Then I strapped on my hydration vest and ran from where we'd parked at Willow MetroPark down through Oakwoods MetroPark, hit the Downriver Linked Greenway path to Huroc Park with its gorgeous covered footbridge, and back to our friend's place.

Sounds pleasant. Totally wasn't. Unaccustomed to the heat (cycle computer said 90f in the sun) and having GI issues from the outset (I think I ate something that kicked off one of my myriad food allergies), that run was a death slog. I couldn't keep my heart rate under control, and - despite running paths through parks - there wasn't a speck of shade to be found to shelter me from the blowlamp sun. Since the paths are all paved, the heat coming off the blacktop was horrendous. There was a lot of stopping to catch my breath, which isn't something I'm used to having to do, and a couple of "off-road adventures" due to the GI issues. Seriously the worst run I think I've ever done, but I made it through the full 18.6k...it just took for-freakin'-ever. Saturday night we had a bit of a bonfire then watched the Pacquiao/Mayweather bout on PPV. Other than the physical aspect of the run sucking, it was a damn near perfect day.

Sunday I got up and went for a better (though still tougher than it should have been) 11k run on a favourite loop near my friend's place, then we all drove into Wyandotte for a slow roll/critical mass ride called Roll Down the River. Fun 22k noodle along the Detroit River visiting some historical spots along the way - would totally do that one again.

Our friend has a new girlfriend, though, and she was there the whole weekend...so basically my husband and I got ignored a lot. I'm happy for him and all, but since we only see him 2-3 times a year it was a little disappointing. It really didn't seem like he gave too much of a damn than we'd drove over 4hrs down to spend the weekend with him, and I sort of feel like I've lost a friend. Husband was a little irritated as well, but he's not quite as close as this particular guy and I are...or were. Dunno.

Anyway. Enough whinging.

This week's goals:
Swim x 3
Bike x 2
Run x 6
Core/strength x 4

Time to put in one last big week of running before taper begins for the 50k.

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
I love this quote!! I shall have to keep it in mind!
Being happy leads to success, not the other way around!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a decent couple days off and weeded one of my two flower beds (cursing the entire time as I hate this task... in fact, any yard work)

I swam 3200 yds Fri. evening, which was super, and rode outdoors with the husband both Saturday and Sunday.
Last night I swam 4100 yds.

I also started to be a bit reflective on the marathon. Here's my 'analysis list'

The things I feel went wrong during the race was this:
-Legs were 'flat' from the get go
-3:40 pace group was holding more like a 3:35 pace
-mile markers and my garmin didn't agree (garmin was clicking miles off very early), and this caused confusion for my pacing strategy
-I felt 'pressure' to keep pace with the pace group (irrationally, perhaps)
-I missed taking my planned gel at mile 20, and instead took it at almost mile 21 (I was taking a gel every 5mi like in all my long training runs)
-My garmin had no further data for me after mile 21 except for total time

Things that went right:
-Clothing selection was spot on. Cold/chilly at the start, never felt 'too warm'
-It wasn't windy
-I feel like I was drinking enough

Things I'm not sure about:
-Were my long runs done too fast
-Did I go out too fast
-Is there something to be done about my mental battle in the late miles

This week is a bit nutty with work stuff and my 11th wedding anniversary is on Thursday... we'll have to decide if we're celebrating that evening or another evening.
Found the 'perfect' gift for my mom for Mother's Day, my sister and I are sending her to 'quilt camp' (it's not overnight, but it's an multi day all day thing within driving distance)

Goals - swim as much as possible and bike a ton (this is the short version)
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 4th Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I believe that we can choose to be happy. Not that I'm happy all the time, by any stretch of the imagination, but many times I can make a conscious decision to be miserable or not. There is a lot of research out there on the "science of happiness" :-)

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 4th Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
- and the thought of not running with her makes me sad. :-(

I bet in her own doggy way, she feels the same.

Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 4th Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not a running expert, but as far as doing long runs too fast, the Pfitzinger Advanced Marathoning plans all call for very long race-pace sections as part of long runs.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. That was a good video. I'm going to have to be careful with it though, because of my low back injury.

I did 2x500--bread& butter set; and 3x100 yesterday. Two more questions:
1) Is the guppy plan laid out in one spot somewhere on the site? I copied pieces as it was posted, but it is an early version.
2) Should we start a separate thread in womens for our ten weeks? Maybe others will join us.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: How was your week? May 4th Edition [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the page I have bookmarked: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...uppies%2010;#5089915

I was just going to mention it in my weekly check-in but a separate thread would probably be more visible for anybody else.
Quote Reply