Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How was you week? April 27 Edition
Quote | Reply
How are you?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? April 27 Edition [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Goal this week = lots of swimming. It is actually what I am enjoying the most right now. Although the bike yesterday was good too.

I did one long swim, which was great. 5 swims, 5 runs, 1 bike for a total of 12,500 yds, 40 mi bike, 46 mi run.
Work has been kind of miserable as of late.
Goals this week = lots of swimming and ride 4x.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear work sucks.

I was not happy with my week. One bike, one easy run, one swim and one half marathon. The half marathon was disappointing for me as I really wanted to do better than I did and am mad that I didn't since I went into it with the best run base ever. My last 4 HM times (including this) have been within about 40 seconds of each other and I was coming off injury for two of them so I'm frustrated and upset with myself for not doing better. They are still minutes and minutes off my best HM time so that's another thing that's bugging me. Now 3 months away from my first 70.3 and feeling really unmotivated. Blah. Oh and of course I strained something on the last mile of the race so not sure where I am with training this week.

Hope everybody else had a better week. @edbikebabe - was it your night race 10k this weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? April 27 Edition [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about the blah race. Do you know why it was blah? Sometimes you just have a bad day :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not me - my sister. She rocked it though - 1:15 for a hilly single track course in the dark.

Sorry to hear your race was disappointing. That can't be a fun feeling.

I'm tempted to bail on my 10km in a couple weeks. Training has been minimal - life is interfering , I'm tired and there aren't enough hours in the day. I'll still show up and slog through - but it's going to hurt physically & my pride won't fare much better. Such is life I guess. I just really, really miss the old me that had all the time/energy/motivation to train (and it showed - I was relatively fit/fast for a while). I feel like everyone else is more succesful at life than me lately. I'm not even in good enough shape to show up for the easy Saturday group ride anymore. :(
Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? April 27 Edition [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It stinks that some parts of life are interfering with others (and fun stuff too.)
For the 10k, can you show up and cruise w the fun people at the back? Trot thru the aid stations and chat up the volunteers, high five the little kids along the way and sort of enjoy the parade aspect of the whole business?
As for comparing yourself to what others are doing... well, most people don't share on social media when they're plugging along.
Nothing glamorous about it, but just keep swimming.
KS

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@tigerchik - I can't pinpoint any one thing but I probably should have realised the day would be a challenge when it took me three goes to get my pants on the right way in the morning!

@edbikebabe - maybe you need to change things up and try something new/different? Back in the day I started rowing because I signed up for a learn to row programme to force myself to leave the office earlier at least one night a week and have some time for myself. I think STConcierge has the right idea for how to approach the 10k.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll enjoy being out there, but I signed up for a race to actually race (at least against myself, cause I'm not fast). Life isn't that bad, I'm just feeling worn out.

I'd love to try something new, but I'm not even doing the stuff I like now - no need for another thing to feel guilty about. I think my husband's work hours should settle down soon - being on full-time 3 year old duty is rewarding, but exhausting.

*edit* I took my sorry self out for a run last night. It wasn't fast & I don't feel that great today, but at least I did something.
Last edited by: edbikebabe: Apr 28, 15 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like everyone is having kind of a down week. I ran up against a wall of overtraining on Sunday. But it wasn't too bad, because this week was scheduled as recovery for me, anyway. So I started recovering a day early, turned my 50 minute run into a very pleasant walk. But I had a great week of training before that. Did a 50 mile run on my bike and managed to keep most of my crotch skin intact, thanks to a new saddle! And I'm discovering more and more of the beautiful cycling that the DC Metro has to offer. Compared to Kansas, it's just so much better. It's beautiful, and the infrastructure is better, and it seems like motorists are more careful and more aware of cyclists and pedestrians.

Got my bike fit on Sunday, so I'm looking forward to my long ride this week, to see how it works out. Goal for this week is to recover and feel strong going into next week's hard training! Good luck to all of you who are racing this weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had hoped this would be a happy report but it's not to be.
The marathon was Sunday. It did not go as planned. I was 45 seconds over the BQ time. Which means I likely really missed by about 2 minutes.
My legs felt a bit flat from the get go. I was planning to stay with the pace group that was 5 minutes under my BQ time. I stayed behind them. Around mile 13 I let them go as they were just going too fast, they had been going somewhat too fast all along but I was having trouble figuring out what was going on, as my garmin was not in sync with the mile markers on course and my brain was not operating quite right or something... I was afraid to let the pace group go even though I was thinking they were going too fast. I was confused between my garmin and the pace band I was wearing.
Then just after mile 21, my garmin simply turned into a very expensive stop watch (I have the 310xt), the day before I had downloaded and deleted all my data and charged it. I went with the pace band. At mile 24 I was 4 minutes slower than my hopeful target, so I thought I still had a chance, as a lady I talked to before the start said the Boston acceptance went out to 1 minute 2 sec under BQ time last year for our qual time. I ran as HARD as I could. It was not enough. I went through the finish and a volunteer asked if I was OK and I right away said no. She helped me walk and find my husband. I then had him hold me up while I moaned and howled that I didn't make it.
It sucks because the temps and weather were near perfect. Upper 30s at the start and maybe mid 50s at the finish. This race can be windy at the end and it wasn't very.

The signs on the race were good and funny. Great job, fans!! There were a lot of those silly funny ones like you see online.

I have one funny to report - I was involved in a slo mo foot race around mile 24 with a guy who apparently didn't want to let a woman pass him. We went back and fort several times at our fairly slow pace. It was funny to me because neither of us was moving very fast.

my run pals are being pretty supportive. Two of them think I should bag fall cyclocross and do a fall marathon, and that would magically fix things.
Sunday and yesterday I felt that I never wanted to do another marathon ever again. Somehow the training almost seems easier than the race.

At least I can take some time off and then get in the pool. Oh, and my poor bike. I have missed it so!

I went to turn my garmin back on yesterday to look at my splits and the battery was low. I wonder if that's what happened. I know it has trouble finding satellites with the battery low. But I made sure it had 100% charge before I started the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough weeks all around it seems. I had a dizzying-high-lowly-low week

- run 4x FAIL only ran 3x
- ride 3x DONE
- weights 3x or kill the program and just admit it's not gonna happen KILLED - may restart later
- football 3x - our first "games" are Sunday (they play 5 short games kind of like a mini round robin tourney) DONE - and the highlights of the week really
- keep on the honey-do list plan (pressure wash deck; paint deck if nice weather; finish washing all shutters - yuck) DONE - highlight was K and I finally making our 72hr emergency kit (aside from the devastation in Nepal, we had two 6+ magnitude earthquakes off the coast last week and I decided enough with the procrastination). It was a good exercise to do with her (11yo) - old enough to understand why and remember what & how. If you haven't made one yourself, I strongly suggest you do.

This week is not starting off well - yesterday I had a baseline spirometry test done (ability to empty my lungs, basically) and today was the follow-up methacoline challenge test - where you are given a dose of a constrictor every 5min and repeat the spirometry test each time until you lose 20% of your ability to exhale. I did NOT enjoy that at all. I feel like crap now. The tech, who was really great and I had him for both tests, showed me all the results and explained everything. On day 1 (yesterday), he showed the Y-bars on my curve showing 5th%, 95th% and mean for my age, gender, height & weight. I was maybe at the 30th% without any drugs. He was really surprised - considering my athletic pursuits. Me too eh? And then today, he said often 5-10 cycles (doses) to get to 20% - took me 3. :-( I am now at home resting/working from home - I didn't realize how much this test knocks you out. So hypersensitivity which may be due to irritants seems likely. I am worried that doc will want me on a puffer. I am also worried about where I work and where I live - my exposure to particulates is not low where I live - cleaning the window screens last week made that abundantly clear. I also think a lot about all the factories I have audited for work in the last 5 years - especially those in China and Mexico - where the air is notoriously bad. All that plus more layoffs coming at work, and not being able to exercise at all during this testing cycle has made me really really grumpy/depressed.

So this week I am hoping for not much:
- go out of town this w/end with family
- run 2x
- football 1x
- get some more of the to-do list done
- try to think happy thoughts

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? April 27 Edition [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a bummer. I'm sorry that the race didn't go well, especially since you had high hopes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry about your race :-( but give yourself some time to think about next steps - don't make any decisions yet. Hang in there. You got really really close. You might get it next time or time after. So many factors right?

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week's goals:
Swim x 2: win with 3
Bike x 1: fail
Run x 4: win
Core/strength x 2: win
Mobility/stretch x 2: win

I'll join in with the rest of the womens who had rather disappointing races. Despite the fact I've been running faster & stronger than ever in the past few months while racking up my highest mileage, I am clearly too damn fat for 4,000ft of elevation change over 25km - I got my ass handed to me by a ski hill. Bottom 3rd finish and my legs feel worse than after some of the 6hr races I've done. Fearing the absolute worst for the 50k next month now, though it won't have quite the same stupid elevation profile.

Hill up to the 1st aid station.

Behind me is the hill you have to run down to finish the loop. Since it's only a 12.5k loop, I had to do it twice.

I don't think I'll ever consider doing the 50k there.

This week's goals:
Swim x 2
Bike x 3
Run x 5
Core/strength x 4

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Wow, looks like the weather at least held up for you. That's a lot of up & down, no wonder your legs are trashed. Get lots of rest this week, and I predict that you will surprise yourself at the 50k :-) (btw the look on your face is priceless).

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your work. Hang in there. Work and life always has ups and downs, and we can't have the ups permanently!
Quote Reply
Re: How was you week? April 27 Edition [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the encouragement. I'm not going to think about it right now. I just need to recover and then start riding and swimming more! hooray for my bike. I really like biking the best. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
my run pals are being pretty supportive. Two of them think I should bag fall cyclocross and do a fall marathon, and that would magically fix things.
Sunday and yesterday I felt that I never wanted to do another marathon ever again. Somehow the training almost seems easier than the race.

No need to make a decision about it now.

I am so very, very sorry you were a hair away from the BQ. That said, finishing a marathon is ALWAYS a big deal, so accept the accolades for that. And for being so close. ((((hugs)))) and cheers!

Quote Reply